NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jason Kipnis 2017 Outlook

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just dropped in my league.  I have to assume he's worth a waiver claim, right?  Didn't realize how poorly he's been performing.  Anyone been watching closely to see signs of life? 

Look at his aprils in his career he's a slow starter.  Missed chunk of first month.  He may not get going until late May.  But be patient, he's a proven guy in a great lineup.

Edited by Cmilne23
26 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Look at his aprils in his career he's a slow starter.  Missed chunk of first month.  He may not get going until late May.  But be patient, he's a proven guy in a great lineup.

Traditionally though post ASB is worse then pre ASB by fairly good margins. Personally quit drafting and trading for him after the 2013 season and checking splits now isn't as bad as those years (2012& 2013) there still seems to be a drop off after the ASB. But then you have to believe in that type observation that time of the year makes a difference.

Everyone needs to relax. He JUST started the season not too long ago. You KNOW Kipnis is going to produce, theres no questioning it. He always starts off slow so you cant expect him to put up big numbers yet. You're crazy if you drop him in any leagues. Give him another 2-3 weeks and I guarantee youll see the numbers you want. 

I just dropped him for Keon Broxton who is hot. He's literally a ratio killer right now. I'd much rather have the underrated Cesar Hernandez who has some pop speed and great obp.

Edited by montgrove
Just now, radioflyer9 said:

He needs to hit in the leadoff spot! I think he feels more comfortable hitting there as a table setter. Plus he can steal some bags. 

The need to steal bags is actually less when you have better hitters behind you.  Stealing bags makes more sense when guys like Chisenhall, Gomes, and Almonte are hitting behind you, in order to manufacture runs.  He's probably a 10-12 SB guy at best at this point.  

Jesus, this guy... 

Benched him against Santiago after stinking it up in my starting lineup since he returned, and he hits a leadoff homer. Oh well... Hoping this LU spot bump gives him the motivation to hit like the Kip we know.

Edited by profart
Probably should be in the Gameday thread, my bad!
17 minutes ago, profart said:

Jesus, this guy... 

Benched him against Santiago after stinking it up in my starting lineup since he returned, and he hits a leadoff homer. Oh well... Hoping this LU spot bump gives him the motivation to hit like the Kip we know.

Don't worry...he's on ALL of our benches or WW.  You're not the only one missing out on this day.

3 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

Don't worry...he's on ALL of our benches or WW.  You're not the only one missing out on this day.

Speak for yourself. He's in my lineup, has been since returning, and I have zero intention of benching him. I'm not that special - plenty of others have done the same. 

i'm getting it, but, only because i literally had no choice but to leave him active. it's damn refreshing though

problem here is, you know the reason he's not playing at his normal level is some combination of the late start and the shoulder problem, but it's impossible for us to know how much of it is which thing

can only hope it gets better. the HR is a great sign just because it shows he's physically capable of hitting the ball over the fence

9 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Speak for yourself. He's in my lineup, has been since returning, and I have zero intention of benching him. I'm not that special - plenty of others have done the same. 

Good on you ARob...not many of us could stomach the 11 for 71 streak over the last 19 games he had going since he returned while waiting for this one decent  day.  I know I couldn't take all those O'fers.  Happy to hear that someone is getting to enjoy his productive day....finally.