NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jason Kipnis 2017 Outlook

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, atrium said:

Kipnis loves his momma

was he using an actual pink bat today? that'd be funny if somebody broke out of a big slump with one of the pink bats and kept using the pink bat for like three weeks because superstition

23 hours ago, Damn Yankee said:

Good on you ARob...not many of us could stomach the 11 for 71 streak over the last 19 games he had going since he returned while waiting for this one decent  day.  I know I couldn't take all those O'fers.  Happy to hear that someone is getting to enjoy his productive day....finally.

Exactly why I was able to trade for him and V. Velasquez last week giving up Schoop (who's now on waivers) and Triggs.  

Reaping the benefits this week, and hopefully for the ROS.  His swing looks good tbh.  Extremely short and quick to the ball and the power is nice to see.

If he doesn't use a pink bat next game I'm going to be pissed.

thanks for all the emotion/anxiety posted in this thread .. i use the ranting/raving/angry fan base on rotoworld forums to gauge what a typical owner might be feeling regarding their player and then buy low.

Got Kipnis right before his 2 HR game , and have been enjoying the breakout since. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted
On 5/19/2017 at 9:46 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

thanks for all the emotion/anxiety posted in this thread .. i use the ranting/raving/angry fan base on rotoworld forums to gauge what a typical owner might be feeling regarding their player and then buy low.

Got Kipnis right before his 2 HR game , and have been enjoying the breakout since. 

so glad I held onto him....someone dropped him a month ago in my league and I scooped him up and held strong

Edited by newyorkspankees
  • 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on his SB upside this year ? He is 30 and the age curve for SB drops off a cliff pretty early. Hoping we get 10-15 this year from him. Keyword there is 'hoping' .. I can't even remember the last time he attempted a steal at this point.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • 2 weeks later...

So where does he go from here? Babip is pretty low, his bb/k rate is down, but his soft, med, hard contact rates are pretty spot on for his career. He's got a 1.00 GB/FB rate and his LD% is down a touch to 17.9%. Anyone think there's an adjustment he can make and still finish the year .270/20/80/10/80?

21 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

So where does he go from here? Babip is pretty low, his bb/k rate is down, but his soft, med, hard contact rates are pretty spot on for his career. He's got a 1.00 GB/FB rate and his LD% is down a touch to 17.9%. Anyone think there's an adjustment he can make and still finish the year .270/20/80/10/80?

At this point it doesn't matter what his finals numbers are ... that horrid April/early May is likely to drag those down a bit. What you should be worrying about is if he can hit at his career pace *going forward* which, at the end of the day, should still return ROI on where he was drafted.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, TheGreatUnwashed said:

About to drop as he has easily been the most miserable player on my team. He's still nearly 80% owned in Yahoo though so obviously people think he'll turn it around. What are ya'll doing?

He's a worse version of Brian Dozier to me ( which is saying something because Dozier is having an average season), I cut Kipnis after the first month of his miserable play.  He got hot for a couple of games then returned to being trash.  Im beginning to think he just wont be terribly good this year.

Awful BA, OBP and not much in way of stolen bases.

20 minutes ago, TheGreatUnwashed said:

About to drop as he has easily been the most miserable player on my team. He's still nearly 80% owned in Yahoo though so obviously people think he'll turn it around. What are ya'll doing?

His career plate discipline numbers are a bit off right now as his hard hit rate. Looks like he's hitting way more fly balls. Not sure if he's deliberately joined the revolution. 

Either way, his numbers are lower than career norms but not THAT off. Could be pressing. There's enough promise in his numbers that I'm keeping him. His babip is about 70 points lower than career normal. His discipline and heavy fly ball rate still doesn't explain that big a drop. 

27 minutes ago, TheGreatUnwashed said:

For the thousandth time:

Yahoo percent owned and percent played statistics are totally useless.  No one should ever looks at them, notice them let alone think they mean anything.

They are based on ALL leagues at Yahoo and 95% of them are casual public leagues where you are lucky if 3 or 4 managers in these 12 team leagues remain active more than a month.  Most just set their line-up once and leave for the year.

18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

For the thousandth time:

Yahoo percent owned and percent played statistics are totally useless.  No one should ever looks at them, notice them let alone think they mean anything.

They are based on ALL leagues at Yahoo and 95% of them are casual public leagues where you are lucky if 3 or 4 managers in these 12 team leagues remain active more than a month.  Most just set their line-up once and leave for the year.

I don't think they're "totally useless." I get your point but while the ownership number is still high active league owners may be dropping him. We should be looking a the trend down as opposed to the nominal. 

I've been a big Kipnis supporter but I've recently dropped in a 12 teamer.  I love his spot in the lineup (let's give it to Jose though) but that is it.  I know it seems exaggerated but he flies out, in play, or foul most at bats I watch and I watch way too much baseball.  He also has hit the ball right at a lot of people. I was waiting for his crazy hot streak but nothing so far.  I'm monitoring for now but the eye test says it's not been his year.  I hope he goes on a tear at some point.

2 hours ago, Piotr said:

Anything on the injury tonight? I just saw that he left the game tonight with some sort of leg injury. 

I checked the clip on MLB.com as I have him on a couple teams.  He pulled his hammy running down to first, didn't look good. Wouldn't be surprised if he's out a few weeks.  Just as he's heating up a bit too.

Edited by mjk356
52 minutes ago, mjk356 said:

I checked the clip on MLB.com as I have him on a couple teams.  He pulled his hammy running down to first, didn't look good. Wouldn't be surprised if he's out a few weeks.  Just as he's heating up a bit too.

I took over a team with him on it.  First time I ever owned him.  So he gets injured before Opening Day, comes back and sucks, starts to show a pulse so he promptly gets freaking injured again.  Was he this much of a problem in years past?  Because he is driving me up the wall currently.

Here's a little tidbit:

The Indians this year have logged fewer plate appearances against right handed pitchers than any team in the league.

At the same time the Indians this year have logged the most plate appearances vs lefties, nearly 1,200, more than 2x the Braves, which have logged the fewest.

Not sure if it's random noise, or if there's a plethora of left-handed pitchers in the AL Central or something, but these factors certainly do not bode well for Kipnis, a left-handed better who historically has done very well against righties.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

Who will be filling in for him.  I see someone named Erik Gonzales listed as a 2B on the Indians.  Is he the guy that will get the starts because in a 20 team league there just isn't many 2B options out there so is Obi-Wan Gonzales my only hope at this point? 

The way Kipnis is going and if indeed he still has that shoulder injury and the fact that Cleveland is contending but can't seem to get much traction; maybe they should look into Kinsler or Jedd Lowrie at this point.  And God knows Billy Boy wants to move Jedd as soon as he can.  Or is that me wanting him moved so Barreto gets recalled and get 2B eligibility asap for me, hah.