NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jason Kipnis 2017 Outlook

Buster Olney on espn said likely out 3-4 weeks.  Agree with poster above likely a lost year.  He's got a very unorthodox swing.  Takes a lot of reps to get him going.  These start and stops don't do him any good.  Him missing spring was killer.  Good buy low next year though.  Still like him long term, don't think he's done at all.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, I mentioned something similar previously. He is usually at his best in mid-season, but the early-season injuries messed that up. The injury actually helps. I needed a roster spot to activate Pollock from the DL and I and I can put off cutting Kipnis for now. 

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Who will be filling in for him.  I see someone named Erik Gonzales listed as a 2B on the Indians.  Is he the guy that will get the starts because in a 20 team league there just isn't many 2B options out there so is Obi-Wan Gonzales my only hope at this point? 

The way Kipnis is going and if indeed he still has that shoulder injury and the fact that Cleveland is contending but can't seem to get much traction; maybe they should look into Kinsler or Jedd Lowrie at this point.  And God knows Billy Boy wants to move Jedd as soon as he can.  Or is that me wanting him moved so Barreto gets recalled and get 2B eligibility asap for me, hah.

Erik Gonzalez is the guy who should fill in for him. Tito has tried to get Gonzalez in the lineup in different ways but there hasn't been a consistent spot for him. In a 20 team league I would take a shot on Gonzalez if there isn't anything else but expectations shouldn't be too high. I doubt the Indians will be buying a 2nd baseman because they still believe in Kipnis and his clubhouse leadership. 

Edited by StevoSupremo89
2 hours ago, StevoSupremo89 said:

Erik Gonzalez is the guy who should fill in for him. Tito has tried to get Gonzalez in the lineup in different ways but there hasn't been a consistent spot for him. In a 20 team league I would take a shot on Gonzalez if there isn't anything else but expectations shouldn't be too high. I doubt the Indians will be buying a 2nd baseman because they still believe in Kipnis and his clubhouse leadership. 

Thanks for the insight.  I appreciate it.  I may indeed have to check out Mr Erik.

The reason I mentioned Jedd Lowrie is that he basically is a rental player just for the remainder of this season unlike a Kinsler say and could remain as a back-up after Kipnis returned even.  He also has played pretty darn well this season for an aging journeyman.  There is a Rotoworld blurb posted tonight stating that Billy Beane has said that interest in him (and Sonny Gray as well) as been minimal so far though Beane has made it clear he wants to trade both.  Cleveland could well get him for pretty cheap if Kipnis is going to miss up to a month like some reports have suggested. 

I am sure the Indians will at the very least be checking in with Oakland and maybe other teams during the All Star break because they need to start putting the pedal to the metal after the break since Minnesota is refusing to just roll over and KC has got a bit hot of late.  The estimate on how long Kipnis will be out is crucial here.  That and like the poster above has suggested his inability to get it into full gear when he came back suggests he may still is battling his first injury some.

• 1 month later...