NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How'd the Cards do last season with Johnson?  They'll be lucky if Palmer finishes the year, let alone bringing back Johnson for a year end beat down.  Cards finish at best 6-10, and Bruce Arians retires along with Fitzy & Palmer.

Edited by Red Dog
27 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

What does this do to his draft stock next year? Certainly a fluke injury, but 2 IR type injuries in the last 2 games played is relevant given his usage. 

Impossible to tell without watching everyone else perform now is it?

Depends on how guys like Bell, Brown, Fournette, Cook, Hunt, and etc do. However, I can't really see a scenario where I wouldn't take him top 5 if he comes back and does well. If he doesn't come back at all still easily a top 10 pick. The injury just seems unfortunate. 

3 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

No dude, you're taking this the wrong way. Besides David Johnson there is another RB on the the cardinals that had the same injury. T.J. Logan

Bro what I'm tryin to ask is who in the past had this type of surgery, and maybe recovered more quickly.. 

14 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Bro what I'm tryin to ask is who in the past had this type of surgery, and maybe recovered more quickly.. 

Recovery time doesn't matter that much, he's out til week 11 regardless if he wakes up 100% tomorrow 

4 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Recovery time doesn't matter that much, he's out til week 11 regardless if he wakes up 100% tomorrow 

I know but what I'm curious about is heal times in general, because getting him back week 11 would still be decent for a playoff run but I got a feeling he might not be ready by 11 unless guys typically heal up in 7 to 9 weeks 

3 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I know but what I'm curious about is heal times in general, because getting him back week 11 would still be decent for a playoff run but I got a feeling he might not be ready by 11 unless guys typically heal up in 7 to 9 weeks 

I lost him in a league, I'm of the opinion the cards will suck....why risk him for 3 weeks in a lost season? He could blow out his knee. 

Just now, mmcc1029 said:

I lost him in a league, I'm of the opinion the cards will suck....why risk him for 3 weeks in a lost season? He could blow out his knee. 

Well I'm going with the notion that they still can hold onto their season, not sayin they will or won't but if they can and he returns in week 11, that's a nice playoff boost

Just now, Savatage79 said:

Well I'm going with the notion that they still can hold onto their season, not sayin they will or won't but if they can and he returns in week 11, that's a nice playoff boost

Absolutely he will/would be, i just have a feeling the cards will suck....that's just a gut feeling though 

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

heal times in general,

I wondered the same, but most examples I could find were O-line or Defensive tackles, like this guy:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2577503/darrell-williams
Different position of course and different use of the hands, AND he played all game with the injury, but he lost the whole 2016 season. 

This guy retired:
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/11/17/dolphins-left-tackle-branden-albert-undergoes-wrist-surgery/

The most famous example is probably Urlacher who missed all of 2009 after getting injured in game 1. He game back for a very good year the next season, but in 2009 he was done.

Edited by Boudewijn
4 hours ago, street sharks said:

Was just dropped in one of my leagues and thinking I should probably stash him. I'd advise hanging onto him so long as you can keep winning. It's once you start to string together losses is when I'd consider cutting bait

Why? A RB5 or WR5 isn't going to all of a sudden help you win? Unless you are in a 6 team league where there are RB2 and WR2 types sitting on waivers. If you have done a 15-16 round + draft, your bench should be filled with players you can plug in already. 

It's a really tough decision on whether to keep holding him if you don't have an IR spot.

If he comes back in Week 11, would he pick up where he left off?  It could take another 2 weeks before he's back to normal if he comes back in week 11.

If he comes back in Week 13, do you trust him in the playoffs with no idea on how much his injury has affected his play? 

Will you pass on someone on the wire that could lead you to the playoffs to even consider waiting for DJ? I always play fantasy like it's my last game of the year, and it's always about what can you do for me NOW.

However it could also be as short as 8 weeks if he is on the shorter length of the time estimate. If your team can tread water and go 4-4 over that time span, he could make a nice late season push for your team. 

Or you drop him, only to get knocked out of playoff contention by the team that picked him up when they start him against you.

Just now, dashoe said:

If cards are not in contention for playoffs he will be shut down for season, so stash away but follow the cards record.

I don't disagree.  It seems like the most logical conclusion.  Buuuuut....  there's that tiny little chance.

If DJ is out 2 months, that puts him back in week 10.  Not only is he worth a stash, I would venture to call him a "must-hold" unless we get a more definite time table.

I'm under the belief that having a top 3 RB fully wins the playoffs but getting there any lucky team can do it.

In the playoffs you absolutely need consistent and elite production. Which only a top end RB really provides? Until then? Any luck. He's a hold for that reason.

Am I correct in this timeline?

He's eligible to come off IR on the Tuesday leading up to week 10.  He can't practice at all during this time.  The Cards have a Thursday night game that week, so it's basically impossible that he would play week 10.  

Yes?

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic