NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

28 minutes ago, the_real_ab said:

Maybe he can pull a Freddie Freeman.  Come back early without any rust, and ball.   

Since it is a wrist injury, he should still be able to stay active and in game shape with cardio. Obviously won't be able to practice catching with the jugs machine and taking handoffs until later on in the process. But luckily it isn't like a lower extremity injury. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least getting some positive news coming out. Those that dropped DJ could very well feel very very stupid this season. 

Summary of the above article for those that don't want to open the link. Basically, only time will tell and don't write him off for needing to miss 12 weeks.

General Manager Steve Keim said Monday that he wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if the third-year pro recovers faster than expected following surgery to repair a dislocation and ligament damage in his left wrist, which is now in a cast.

During his weekly radio appearance with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7-FM, Keim said he visited with Johnson recently and that he thinks Johnson might be back a lot sooner than the two to three months it was originally thought he would be sidelined.

By NFL rules, the soonest Johnson can return is Nov. 9 vs. Seattle. 

“My conversation with David was you can’t listen to what everybody says about the length of time you’re going to miss because nobody can forecast that, especially when you’re a genetic freak like him,” Keim said.

“We all heal differently, and I wouldn’t be surprised if David heals faster than most when it comes to that injury.”

18 hours ago, burninglegs said:

At least getting some positive news coming out. Those that dropped DJ could very well feel very very stupid this season. 

Summary of the above article for those that don't want to open the link. Basically, only time will tell and don't write him off for needing to miss 12 weeks.

Keim's quotes appear absolutely meaningless on the surface but I'm still going to smash that "like" button out of pure blind optimism.

Injury recovery time lines are always optimistic.  I've held onto or picked up injured players who recovered enough to be active, not many times has it payed off though.  Most of the time I would have been better off using the roster spot for a player/s I could have used during the course of the season.

Edited by Red Dog
42 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Injury recovery time lines are always optimistic.  I've held onto or picked up injured players who recovered enough to be active, not many times has it payed off though.  Most of the time I would have been better off using the roster spot for a player/s I could have used during the course of the season.

You are going to use a RB5/WR5 that should be end of bench stash over the course of the season? If that is who you are relying on, back of bench player, I think your team has bigger problems.

14 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

You are going to use a RB5/WR5 that should be end of bench stash over the course of the season? If that is who you are relying on, back of bench player, I think your team has bigger problems.

Not really, just depends on your league.  If you can dominate and win for most of the season with one less bench spot than everyone else it makes sense to stash DJ away, if not, it doesn't.

Edited by Red Dog
Just now, Red Dog said:

Not really, just depends on your league.  If you can dominate and win with one less bench spot than everyone else it makes sense to stash DJ away, if not, it doesn't.

16 round league gives you 12 spots for WRs and RBs after you have taken care of the TE/QB/K/DST. Obviously slightly different if one drafts double TE or double QB. Let's just say you have 10-12 spots for WRs and RBs. 

If you are starting 2x RBs and 2x WRs and a flex, you are at most using 2-3 RBs and 2-3 WRs every week. To worry about a RB5/6 or WR5/6 that will most likely never see the starting lineup seems a bit silly. Even if you have DJ on your bench, you still have plenty of room for other 'lotto' tickets. Heck, just consider DJ a lotto ticket himself. Except we know what he can produce vs. many of these other lotto tickets we are holding out hope for we really don't know what they can do when given the chance. If DJ comes back healthy after only 8 weeks, he will be worth the hold. If he comes back after 12 weeks, it probably wouldn't have been worth it. 

20 hours ago, jwilliam said:

I have mixed feelings about all this. I own Johnson in a dynasty league and a redraft league, so I'd like to get him back, but I also want him healthy long-term. I'd like to think they wouldn't do anything rash with his recovery.

I mean, it isn't a lower extremity injury. 

Also, something to note that it also wasn't his right wrist (his dominant hand.. but idk if that means much hah).

DROP JOHNSON!

No one knows what specific kind of wrist injury David Johnson suffered. We do know that he was given surgery for his injury, which repaired a dislocation of a wrist bone and a ligament tear.

First, the ligament tear. There’s two kinds of ligament tears Johnson could have suffered:

• Scapholunate interosseous ligament (SL) tear 
  • Triangular fibrocartilaginous complex (TFCC) tear

Both are considered serious injuries, but a SL tear requires surgery while a TFCC tear only requires immobilization. Because Johnson and the Cards sought a second, non-surgical opinion, but resorted to surgery, this implies that Johnson suffered a significant SL tear.

The treatment of a SL tear, involves the surgical repair of the affected ligaments, and the placement of Kirschner wires into the wrist to stabilize the injury. The wrist is then immobilized with a cast.

At minimum, to avoid deformity of the wrist, the Kirschner wires must remain in place for 10 weeks or longer. If the repaired wrist is put under stress prematurely, the wrist will be in danger of suffering permanent carpal malalignment and even arthritis. The weeks of repair does not include the therapy required to strengthened the wrist and return it to full functionality.

Second, the dislocated wrist bone. Who cares! See ligament tear.

Looking at the medical literature, it appears that Johnson, by Week 12 of fantasy, will be fully healed. However, he’ll probably require three weeks of physical therapy on his wrist, before he even considers a return to the NFL. In other worlds, Johnson will miss the entire season (or play a single Fantasy game). As a running back, Johnson needs his wrist to be at 100% to play (unlike a linebacker with a fractured bone screwed together and shielded with a brace).

Conclusion: Drop Johnson in all your leagues or trade him.

5 minutes ago, JeongKim said:

DROP JOHNSON!

No one knows what specific kind of wrist injury David Johnson suffered. We do know that he was given surgery for his injury, which repaired a dislocation of a wrist bone and a ligament tear.

First, the ligament tear. There’s two kinds of ligament tears Johnson could have suffered:

Both are considered serious injuries, but a SL tear requires surgery while a TFCC tear only requires immobilization. Because Johnson and the Cards sought a second, non-surgical opinion, but resorted to surgery, this implies that Johnson suffered a significant SL tear.

The treatment of a SL tear, involves the surgical repair of the affected ligaments, and the placement of Kirschner wires into the wrist to stabilize the injury. The wrist is then immobilized with a cast.

At minimum, to avoid deformity of the wrist, the Kirschner wires must remain in place for 10 weeks or longer. If the repaired wrist is put under stress prematurely, the wrist will be in danger of suffering permanent carpal malalignment and even arthritis. The weeks of repair does not include the therapy required to strengthened the wrist and return it to full functionality.

Looking at the medical literature, it appears that Johnson, by Week 12 of fantasy, will be fully healed. However, he’ll probably require three weeks of physical therapy on his wrist, before he even considers a return to the NFL. In other worlds, Johnson will miss the entire season (or play a single Fantasy game). As a running back, Johnson needs his wrist to be at 100% to play (unlike a linebacker with a fractured bone screwed together and shielded with a brace).

3 weeks of physical therapy on a wrist?

Smells fishy

1 minute ago, JeongKim said:

From the article:

Johnson did say that he didn’t think his injury was as severe as the wrist injury suffered by rookie running back T.J. Logan. Logan’s injury was described as 8-to-12 weeks, and Johnson’s was as well.

7 minutes ago, JeongKim said:

DROP JOHNSON!

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

The voice of reason.  Injury time lines are always optimistic or just disinformation period.

It's not the voice of reason. That post means very little as every case is different. 

3 minutes ago, JeongKim said:

This is what Johnson's wrist looks like under the cast:

Johnson's done for the season.

This looks very familiar to me.  When I was 20 years old I broke my wrist (the doctor said it looked like a "grenade went off in my hand", the wrist was basically just powder on the x-ray) and had three of those pins (just like in the video) put in almost the exact same spot.  

I injured myself on May 15th.  I went back to college around the 25th of August (about 14-15 weeks later) and I still had a wrist protector thing that I wore at times.  There's no way I could've held, let alone caught, a football then.  I was at full strength at about five months.

I did physical therapy on the wrist, which started with just trying to crumple a newspaper.  The muscle atrophy was terrible and it was awful to try to do anything with that hand for 1-2 weeks after the cast came off.  I don't remember how often I went in for physical therapy, probably just twice a week or so.  Obviously I didn't have a team of professionals trying to get me back to full steam right away to play football.  But this was no picnic.

As for the comment about the pins coming out being ugly, that was one of the worst experiences of my life.  My dad had to leave the room because he thought he was going to pass out.

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic