NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

This looks very familiar to me.  When I was 20 years old I broke my wrist (the doctor said it looked like a "grenade went off in my hand", the wrist was basically just powder on the x-ray) and had three of those pins (just like in the video) put in almost the exact same spot.  

I injured myself on May 15th.  I went back to college around the 25th of August (about 14-15 weeks later) and I still had a wrist protector thing that I wore at times.  There's no way I could've held, let alone caught, a football then.  I was at full strength at about five months.

I did physical therapy on the wrist, which started with just trying to crumple a newspaper.  The muscle atrophy was terrible and it was awful to try to do anything with that hand for 1-2 weeks after the cast came off.  I don't remember how often I went in for physical therapy, probably just twice a week or so.  Obviously I didn't have a team of professionals trying to get me back to full steam right away to play football.  But this was no picnic.

As for the comment about the pins coming out being ugly, that was one of the worst experiences of my life.  My dad had to leave the room because he thought he was going to pass out.

except

1)his wrist was not powder like yours

2) he's a professional athlete not an average college student

3) as you said he has a team of top professionals to rehab him daily

4) TJ Logan suffered a similar injury and was given 8-12 weeks as well

Even if the Cards were trying to be optomistic on DJ or playing coy for whatever reason, they had no reason to do so with TJ Logan when Logan got hurt yet it was the same time frame. 

Full disclosure, the only league I have DJ in has an IR spot so him taking longer than expected to heal doesn't affect me anyways. Just not a fan of people coming in with anecdotal stories of themselves and applying them directly to pro athletes situations 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mattmac0912 said:

I'd be shocked if DJ plays any more football this year...the cards also suck why would they rush him back or even risk making it worse

I disagree. They get winnable home games vs DAL and SF the next 2 weeks. At 3-1, no one will be tanking the season. 

yawn...  slow FF newsday huh?  

If you want to deal your DJ for pennies on the dollar, go for it.  I'm not aggressively buying in redraft but I'm sure as hell not selling for Buck Allen or worse.

3 hours ago, JeongKim said:

We do know that he was given surgery for his injury, which repaired a dislocation of a wrist bone and a ligament tear.

Thanks for the informative story!

However, I'd not read about the ligament tear and a quick google search returns only stories about his knee last year. 

Do you have a source to confirm this?

In any case, I keep comparing it to Urlacher so I have accepted it will take all season - but not dropping until we have an official confirmation around week 6 or so.

My 0.02 cents.

Drop him? No 

Pick him up if he's sitting on your waiver? Yes

Buy or sell? Maybe

in 12 team and deeper leagues I don't think there's a single guy that's going to make a significant difference for your team that you could pick up from the waiver in place of DJ if you're in a remotely competitive league. There may be some guys that emerge but after 2 weeks all the young unknowns with potential/possible lottery targets have been stashed. My wire is bare with the exception of the same tired names that are seemingly always there year after year. 

You're prob not gonna get much for him now in a trade anyways so it would be worth the risk to hold. We're already coming up on week 3. Just hold a few more weeks and By the time week 6 or 7 rolls around we should have a better idea of how his recovery is going and we'll know where the Cardinals are record wise to see if they're in the playoff hunt or not.

By week 8-10 we should know for sure. worst case scenario he doesn't come back and you cut ties then. Or he's on target to come back around week 11 or 12 let's say. If you're making the playoffs for sure he can potentially come back and win you your league. If you're a bubble team fighting for a playoff push you can trade him before your deadline to one of the top teams and get a guy that can move the needle to help you make the playoffs since DJ's value will obviously be much higher with each week he gets closer to returning.

David Johnson bleeds red like the rest of us--he's not superman. A supremely qualified athlete? Yes. Healing powers like Wolverine? Only in comic books.

No one, other than DJ and his doctor, knows the full extent of his injury. But one thing's clear: the man had major surgery on his wrist to fix a dislocated wrist. A dislocated wrist can mean many things (a sprained wrist, broken wrist bones, torn ligaments, etc.), but because DJ sought a non-surgical treatment before finally electing surgery means he suffered a serious injury (and was perhaps acting in denial with the second opinion--who can blame him?!?).

You don't jump back from major surgery in a few weeks. Reviewing the sports medicine literature on dislocated wrists requiring surgery in athletes, the most common injury is a scapholunate interosseous ligament (SL) tear.

Don't want to be the guy known for grisly pictures in his posts, so here's a link to Google images using the keywords, "dislocated wrist surgery":

https://www.google.com/search?q=dislocated+wrist+surgery&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS727US727&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrh6myw7XWAhUD02MKHdBhCMEQsAQIeg&biw=1280&bih=699#imgrc=VZwKL8xB_fNvAM:

Johnson's done for the season. Hope the man makes a complete recovery though (his story about not being able to hold his son was heartbreaking).

Edited by JeongKim
10 minutes ago, JeongKim said:

David Johnson bleeds red like the rest of us--he's not superman. A supremely qualified athlete? Yes. Healing powers like Wolverine? Only in comic books.

No one, other than DJ, his doctor and JeongKim, knows the full extent of his injury. But one thing's clear: the man had major surgery on his wrist to fix a dislocated wrist. A dislocated wrist can mean many things (a sprained wrist, broken wrist bones, torn ligaments, etc.), but because DJ sought a non-surgical treatment before finally electing surgery means he suffered a serious injury (and was perhaps acting in denial with the second opinion--who can blame him?!?).

You don't jump back from major surgery in a few weeks. Reviewing the sports medicine literature on dislocated wrists requiring surgery in athletes, the most common injury is a scapholunate interosseous ligament (SL) tear.

Don't want to be the guy known for grisly pictures in his posts, so here's a link to Google images using the keywords, "dislocated wrist surgery":

https://www.google.com/search?q=dislocated+wrist+surgery&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS727US727&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrh6myw7XWAhUD02MKHdBhCMEQsAQIeg&biw=1280&bih=699#imgrc=VZwKL8xB_fNvAM:

Johnson's done for the season. Hope the man makes a complete recovery though (his story about not being able to hold his son was heartbreaking).

Made an obvious correction 

Edited by Savatage79
On 9/21/2017 at 5:59 AM, justincns said:

I got 7 bench spots.  The owner who had DJ dropped him,  he is 100% a stash if you have the bench size.

Have 5 bench spots in both of my leagues. Stashing in the one I drafted him in, and used a waiver in the other when the owner dropped him. Figured I might as well hang on until we get more clarity. You won't pick up someone with more upside than him, so I think it's worth burning a bench spot

Worst case scenario:  you drop DJ, a rival picks him up, DJ beats you in a critical late season game.

Really bad scenario: sell DJ for pennies on the dollar, and he comes back to haunt you with a 3TD (fantasy) playoff performance.

Bad scenario:  hold DJ, the Cardinals announce in week 10 that they are shutting him down for the year, therefore you have missed out on some waiver wire flavors of the month.

Meh scenario:  hold DJ, he comes back very late in the season, but when he returns he doesn't produce like the 2016 version of himself.

Great scenario:  hold DJ, he comes back Nov 6, and it's on the the fantasy playoffs and a championship.

We don't yet know which it will be.  Act accordingly.

Still worth a keeper for a top 6 pick next year?  I'm assuming yes since the injury shouldn't really affect his ability to run, which is what makes him effective, right?

And yes, I'm projecting myself to finish bottom 6 this year.  It's been rough.

2 minutes ago, youngrice said:

You really think Zona will throw DJ out on thursday with just 2 days of practice after being out 9 weeks?

Because he'll have two weeks plus two days of practice maybe?

You can practice after 6 weeks on IR, play games after 8 weeks.......  Same as it's been for years.

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic