NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

6 hours ago, Gohawks said:

So why aren't all stars benched in week 12 on bad teams? Why not send in all your scrubs so they don't get injured?

If he is 100% healthy why would they bench him? It's a wrist it heals 100%. Using the he can get injured again argument is stupid. So can every other player on a bad team.

100%

Teams benching worn down hobbled guys in week 16 and 17 is one thing, but no fully healthy star player is going to sit out 5 or 6 games. I think absolute worst case scenario is Johnson in a bit of a time share with Peterson to limit wear and tear but he'll still definitely be a fantasy asset capable of gaining big chunks of yards on limited carries.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

So why aren't all stars benched in week 12 on bad teams? Why not send in all your scrubs so they don't get injured?

If he is 100% healthy why would they bench him? It's a wrist it heals 100%. Using the he can get injured again argument is stupid. So can every other player on a bad team.

Yea but I'm sure the percentage is higher for a guy returning. Hey maybe they will play him, you're acting like I can control it or something... It's just my opinion that I doubt he returns if the team is totally out of contention. Backups get more time then to show what they and what coaches have in them,  so it still serves a purpose. 

Maybe he returns, i mean I'm not going to stomp around and be upset if he does as I would sure love it. But I simply feel he might be held til next season. I've been wrong before so we will see. 

Bruce Arians job and future coaching opportunities are on the line, no way in the world he holds him out of the lineup IMO.

They are 1 game out of WC spot now. It's highly unlikely they are mathematically eliminated by Thanksgiving.

Edited by StevieStats
9 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Bruce Arians job and future coaching opportunities are on the line, no way in the world he holds him out of the lineup IMO.

They are 1 game out of WC spot now. It's highly unlikely they are mathematically eliminated by Thanksgiving.

It's highly unlikely he'll be back by Thanksgiving

Also everyone assuming that he'll be 100% healthy so it would mean he'll come back and play.  What if he is 90% healthy, what if he pulls the "Andrew Luck" this season.  If I were in his shoes as someone who hasn't hit the nut contract yet that's what I'd be looking for

Edited by Novaray
2 hours ago, iheartrubio said:

Johnson is going to want to play.  It’s just the way he’s wired.  Especially if they have any chance at all of making the playoffs.  He will suit up this season. 

While I agree with you on DJ's mindset (he will want to play), the Cardinals won't be in the playoff hunt now that Palmer has gone down. They are a bad team and will fall to the back of the pack now.

1 minute ago, PistolPete87 said:

While I agree with you on DJ's mindset (he will want to play), the Cardinals won't be in the playoff hunt now that Palmer has gone down. They are a bad team and will fall to the back of the pack now.

If that is true then Larry Fitzgerald should retire right now, press conference this afternoon.

Why should he still play?

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If that is true then Larry Fitzgerald should retire right now, press conference this afternoon.

First off, my comment was regarding the Cardinals playoff chances, which I see as nil. 

Why should he still play? I'm guessing you're talking about Fitz here? He plays because: a) he IS healthy, b) they technically still are in the playoff hunt, c) he doesn't want to retire right now

I think you're over-reacting to my comment. I want and think DJ will play this season, but he won't play based on the Cardinals playoff chances. He will play because he wants to be out there with his teammates and compete. 

28 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

100%

18 minutes ago, PistolPete87 said:

First off, my comment was regarding the Cardinals playoff chances, which I see as nil. 

Why should he still play? I'm guessing you're talking about Fitz here? He plays because: a) he IS healthy, B) they technically still are in the playoff hunt, c) he doesn't want to retire right now

I think you're over-reacting to my comment. I want and think DJ will play this season, but he won't play based on the Cardinals playoff chances. He will play because he wants to be out there with his teammates and compete. 

It's the same logic. 

Well I never claim to know everything but to me I just don't see this as an "attaboy!" type scenario where they pat their players on the back and say go get em tiger just because a guy like Johnson might want to play. When it comes to these organizations and huge money is involved, and the goal is to win that championship, I assume the behind the scenes management says well "Johnson is our best player, we are already out... Rest him for next year"... That's just how I see it. 

Which I get but I understand what some of you are saying as well, your healthy so get out there and play. But I still just don't think it works that way when a team is out of contention. But like I've said hopefully they are still in contention and Johnson can come back for a huge fantasy playoff push, that'd be a lot of fun. 

But if i had to guess at this point I'd say we don't see him back, at least a good 70% chance he rolls in next year 

Edited by Savatage79
8 hours ago, Novaray said:

It's highly unlikely he'll be back by Thanksgiving

Also everyone assuming that he'll be 100% healthy so it would mean he'll come back and play.  What if he is 90% healthy, what if he pulls the "Andrew Luck" this season.  If I were in his shoes as someone who hasn't hit the nut contract yet that's what I'd be looking for

That's the best case, the hypothetical here people are saying is even if healthy they won't won't play him, I'm speaking to that.

1 hour ago, PistolPete87 said:

While coaches may have an incentive to bench players for a variety of reasons, players have a huge incentive to maximize their performance.

Ignoring what a player wants can end up being a very bad idea for coaches. Just look at Kyrie Irving for a player in a great situation forcing a trade because he wasn't content. 

Bottom line, if he's healthy I imagine he'll want to play. If he wants to play I strongly doubt coaches will bench him. Not to mention fans would be pissed.

9 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Agree...and the NFC West isn't what it used to be.

I live in AZ and listen to a lot of local sports radio here FWIW.

Edited by Members_Only_76
3 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Well I never claim to know everything but to me I just don't see this as an "attaboy!" type scenario where they pat their players on the back and say go get em tiger just because a guy like Johnson might want to play. When it comes to these organizations and huge money is involved, and the goal is to win that championship, I assume the behind the scenes management says well "Johnson is our best player, we are already out... Rest him for next year"... That's just how I see it. 

Which I get but I understand what some of you are saying as well, your healthy so get out there and play. But I still just don't think it works that way when a team is out of contention. But like I've said hopefully they are still in contention and Johnson can come back for a huge fantasy playoff push, that'd be a lot of fun. 

But if i had to guess at this point I'd say we don't see him back, at least a good 70% chance he rolls in next year 

That's exactly what happend with A.J. Green last year coach wouldn't let him come back because Cincy was out of playoffs, if Arizona Misses playoffs which they prolly will now since Palmer went down Johnson won't be back till next year

12 minutes ago, JrsKars said:

That's exactly what happend with A.J. Green last year coach wouldn't let him come back because Cincy was out of playoffs, if Arizona Misses playoffs which they prolly will now since Palmer went down Johnson won't be back till next year

There is a difference between sitting the last two games because of a freshly healed hamstring tear and sitting out five games because of a wrist dislocation. 

I'm no doctor but the difference in severity and likelihood of reinjury seems pretty obvious to me. 

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-carson-palmer-arm-injury-david-johnson-1025-story.html

cast removed last week according to this article

but according to his twitter , it's not

2 hours ago, Halberdier said:

After week 9 they will either put him back on IR and we'll get some closure, or they won't and the debate can continue but will be a lot more hopeful. Similar story with Carson Palmer. 

2017 is lost for DJ.  This is AD's backfield now.  :lol:

4 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-carson-palmer-arm-injury-david-johnson-1025-story.html

cast removed last week according to this article

but according to his twitter , it's not

Why would they get something like that so wrong....

2 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Why would they get something like that so wrong....

Because that story is 2 weeks old, when I think they had replaced the cast. So it's actually not that wrong at all.

This is the pic btw from instagram:

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic