NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

"

I have not examined him or seen imaging but would assume Johnson is now in a removable wrist splint/brace and beginning therapy. Assuming he can return to practice with the protective splint in a couple weeks and then practice for a week or two, he could play around Thanksgiving.

The timing of his return will be based on his confidence, assessment by both the medical staff and the coach and general manager. You essentially need a unanimous “yes” for him to return. There are numerous situational variables, including how he does with a splint, limited range of motion and grip strength, how he tolerates pain and how his replacement, Adrian Peterson, and the team are doing.

Johnson can already be working on conditioning, running, lower body and even limited upper body work with a "hands free" weight lifting program. That would give him a head start on his return.

If he can acclimate to the splint to prove he can catch passes, pass protect and have ball security, I fully expect it to be a Happy Thanksgiving for Cardinals fans and Johnson fantasy owners."   

To me, this sounds like a best case scenario article. I'm an owner with him stashed on IR, so I hope thanksgiving is the return date. I still think him returning this season is 50/50 though.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are likely 4-6 by Thanksgiving, and in the NFC, with the Giants sucking and Aaron Rodgers injured, 4-6 will be very much in the race for last wildcard.. Now if they lose to the 49ers after the bye, and then proceed to get blown out by Houston and Seattle than he likely sits ROS..but if they are in reach of a wildcard, he plays, simple as that!

The Cards are not going to shut down Johnson if he is healthy enough to play, period.  It doesn't matter what their record will be.  There is such a thing as pride and self-respect.  Also, just because the fantasy season will be nearly over by the time he returns, does not mean the real season will be.

5 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

This is one of the more sad threads on here

Well we are. DJ owners either had first pick in the draft (which generally means either we're n00bs or we sucked last year) or are greedy leeches who found a broken DJ by the wayside and now hope it will suddenly be worth money.

Either way, it's not pretty. Add to that the visitors who come to troll us and claim he'll never play again and you got a very sorry bunch.

tenor.gif?itemid=4513832

Edited by Boudewijn

I don't find this thread sad at all.  All news for the past month or so has been positive, and points towards a return to the field in November by David Johnson.

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Well we are. DJ owners either had first pick in the draft (which generally means either we're n00bs or we sucked last year) or are greedy leeches who found a broken DJ by the wayside and now hope it will suddenly be worth money.

Either way, it's not pretty. Add to that the visitors who come to troll us and claim he'll never play again and you got a very sorry bunch.

tenor.gif?itemid=4513832

I agree. If I was y'all I'd probably be sad too.

7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I don't find this thread sad at all.  All news for the past month or so has been positive, and points towards a return to the field in November by David Johnson.

You say news like there's been actual news and not old quotes about Thanksgiving/Christmas as well as constant back-and-forth discussion debating why or why he won't suit up this year lol

Look at the Eric Bledsoe situation in the NBA. He hates that damn organization and it is in large part because they shut him down when he was healthy so they can just tank.

Everyone claims you don't want to have your star player injured. DId you ever consider you don't want to have your star player hate your organization? Imagine if you are an athlete that has busted their a** to make it to the highest level and then recovery from an injury only to having this conversation

"Umm yeah there's still 1/3 of the season left but we kind of want to sit you out for the rest of it just in case."

"I'm 100% healthy and want to play."

" No no. You're not. Just take a seat and watch."

Good luck keeping that player. If he wants to play he will play. You don't want him injured but you also don't want the only player worth a damn on your team for the future pissed off. Especially considering he isn't under a long-term contract. 

37 minutes ago, street sharks said:

You say news like there's been actual news and not old quotes about Thanksgiving/Christmas as well as constant back-and-forth discussion debating why or why he won't suit up this year lol

There has been some actual news in this thread, screening out the speculation, over-sharing, and AC forum material.

15 hours ago, Skins33 said:

"

I have not examined him or seen imaging but would assume Johnson is now in a removable wrist splint/brace and beginning therapy. Assuming he can return to practice with the protective splint in a couple weeks and then practice for a week or two, he could play around Thanksgiving.

The timing of his return will be based on his confidence, assessment by both the medical staff and the coach and general manager. You essentially need a unanimous “yes” for him to return. There are numerous situational variables, including how he does with a splint, limited range of motion and grip strength, how he tolerates pain and how his replacement, Adrian Peterson, and the team are doing.

Johnson can already be working on conditioning, running, lower body and even limited upper body work with a "hands free" weight lifting program. That would give him a head start on his return.

If he can acclimate to the splint to prove he can catch passes, pass protect and have ball security, I fully expect it to be a Happy Thanksgiving for Cardinals fans and Johnson fantasy owners."   

To me, this sounds like a best case scenario article. I'm an owner with him stashed on IR, so I hope thanksgiving is the return date. I still think him returning this season is 50/50 though.

Pretty sure that part has not happened yet.  He is still in a cast.

1 minute ago, Random Dude said:

Don't know if anyone noticed this one on Instagram.... It's weird since it's before when he appears to have another cast on in a more recent picture, but that may have just been an old picture too. 

The cast is on his left hand.  That ^ would be his right hand.  

5 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

Don't know if anyone noticed this one on Instagram.... It's weird since it's before when he appears to have another cast on in a more recent picture, but that may have just been an old picture too. 

Should i be worried that his wifes hands are as big as his? Wrist is just as thick too.

Does johnson have small women hands and wrists or does his wife have the hands and wrists of an NFL RB?

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic