NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

10 minutes ago, Joelioli said:

When is that deadline exaclty? And how does it work specifically if you don't mind me asking?

Well I'm not an expert but I believe a team can put two players on 'eight week' IR from the original 53 man roster. They get to go to games and be with the team but cannot practice for 6 weeks, and cannot play for 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks the team can either activate them to the active roster, or put them on season ending IR. Idk the total number of players a team can put on IR but I believe they can only put two on the 'non season ending' IR. (Which DJ is on)

I hope that makes sense. It's kind of confusing and I'm not sure I fully understand it myself. 

Edited by Halberdier
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Halberdier said:

Well I'm not an expert but I believe a team can put two players on 'eight week' IR from the original 53 man roster. They get to go to games and be with the team but cannot practice for 6 weeks, and cannot play for 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks the team can either activate them to the active roster, or put them on season ending IR. Idk the total number of players a team can put on IR but I believe they can only put two on the 'non season ending' IR. (Which DJ is on)

I hope that makes sense. It's kind of confusing and I'm not sure I fully understand it myself. 

Ah, ok. So when exactly would they need to decide to use another temporary IR spot for DJ specifically? 

5 minutes ago, Joelioli said:

Ah, ok. So when exactly would they need to decide to use another temporary IR spot for DJ specifically? 

DJ is allowed to come back from I.R. in week 10 I believe. So yeah, technically, next week he can come back. At this point, why not wait another week to see what the progress of the whole situation is and see if they end up ultimately putting him on season ending I.R. or activating him. If they activate him, that means they most likely intend on letting him play. And I am sure he is chomping at the bit right now.

Edited by datsyuk
1 minute ago, Joelioli said:

His IR ends after week 9. So it should be early next week at the latest. The bad news is he has been eligible to practice since last week and hasn't started. So it's a real possibility he doesn't get activated. 

As I always say, if you can afford to stash him, do it, but there is gonna be some tempting wavier pick ups this week, so weigh your risk. His outlook is not promising but there is still some hope. 

6 hours ago, Halberdier said:

His IR ends after week 9. So it should be early next week at the latest. The bad news is he has been eligible to practice since last week and hasn't started. So it's a real possibility he doesn't get activated. 

Given that at least last week the cast was still on, it should take at least a couple weeks for his wrist to get back some strength. As he hasn't started, I consider he won't play before week 12, which is what we always expected.

I am not an expert, but I know some players have played with (specific types of) casts. Does anyone know how that would work for an RB, considering you need your hands for blocking?

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Given that at least last week the cast was still on, it should take at least a couple weeks for his wrist to get back some strength. As he hasn't started, I consider he won't play before week 12, which is what we always expected.

I am not an expert, but I know some players have played with (specific types of) casts. Does anyone know how that would work for an RB, considering you need your hands for blocking?

I believe that Dr. Chao has said that once his cast comes off, which would be within a few weeks, it wouldn't take him long to rehab with a splint on and he would be able to be back on the field. He said Jordan Mathews did it with his hand. He had surgery, and a splint on his finger, and was out there in like 2 weeks. So really, who knows at this point. But like a few of us have said, it's worth monitoring at least for another week to see if they actually activate him off I.R. or if say screw it and end up sending him to season ending I.R. like they did with Palmer.

4 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

We’re reaching levels of delusion in here that shouldn’t even be possible, even by fantasy football standards

Not really sure what you are talking about. Dr. Chao, who is one of the leading Orthopedic surgeons in sports, has said he believes David Johnson has a real legitimate chance to get back on the field around week 12-13. What is so delusional about that? He may be wrong, and the Cardinals may shut DJ down for the year, but until the news on that is official, he is absolutely worth stashing over some other scrubs on the waiver wire like Damien Williams or such. 

1 minute ago, Csmithers84 said:

So he's eligible to practice now? Yet he's not.... you'd think he's be working out off to the side at least

He was eligible to practice last week.  You get two weeks of practice before you can play; he could've practiced Week 8 and played Week 10.

It's over.

Literally nothing has happened the last month, except contributors/journalist stating their individual optimism or pessimism. If you are making decisions based off that, that's just bad decision making by you. 

Like a month ago, we don't know and it's not possible to tell if he will be back in time or not. You may change your mind and decide to move on but it's a gut feeling, a guess, which is all we can do, don't pretend you are basing it on any sort of facts on his recovery.

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic