NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Literally nothing has happened the last month, except contributors/journalist stating their individual optimism or pessimism. If you are making decisions based off that, that's just bad decision making by you. 

Like a month ago, we don't know and it's not possible to tell if he will be back in time or not. You may change your mind and decide to move on but it's a gut feeling, a guess, which is all we can do, don't pretend you are basing it on any sort of facts on his recovery.

I'd argue that literally nothing has changed since even yesterday, when we were flooded with reports that Arians "doesn't expect David Johnson to return this season".  Here's the exact quote from Arians:

"You'd have to ask the doctors," Arians said. "Right now, I'd doubt it."

There's nothing in that statement that is definitive or revelatory to me.  I'd have a hard time casting a guy with DJ's upside to waivers, regardless of how long you've burned a roster spot to hang on to him

32 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

I'd argue that literally nothing has changed since even yesterday, either, when we were flooded with reports that Arians "doesn't expect David Johnson to return this season".  Here's the exact quote from Arians:

There's nothing in that statement that is definitive or revelatory to me.  I'd have a hard time casting a guy with DJ's upside to waivers, regardless of how long you've burned a roster spot to hang on to him

“I doubt it....”.       So those three words have been take to mean he will be shut down for the year. Never say never.  Read my signature!  That is what I think. 

Based on Adam Schefter latest comments.. DJ wants to come back this year and play football independent of Cardinals performance and eligibility to play off.. Cast to remain for another couple of weeks.. then rehab for 2 weeks..

2 hours ago, Red Dog said:

You guys are better off on the Josh Gordon medical marijuanna train. Lol

Those of us in keeper leagues are holding DJ. I don't need whatever the Josh Gordon train is from four years ago to roll up and light a blunt.

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

I'm trying to listen but I can't hear the exact questions of the reporters, and the app that plays that video is the most sucking piece of suckage since my vacuum cleaner went in reverse.

I hear him say:

- around 3:10 We didn't reverse it. We originally thought it was 8-10. Then he and his doctor thought he could back in 6. After surgery, that was 8-10.

- around 4:10 No there's no change. Dave's still got a cast on. TJ's out of a cast, but there's at least 2 weeks before his hand has strength.

- 4:20, can't hear the question: Ehhh I'd just... You'd have to ask the doctors about it. Right now, I doubt it.

I can't even hear what he's doubting. Who has better ears than me?

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I'm trying to listen but I can't hear the exact questions of the reporters, and the app that plays that video is the most sucking piece of suckage since my vacuum cleaner went in reverse.

I hear him say:

- around 3:10 We didn't reverse it. We originally thought it was 8-10. Then he and his doctor thought he could back in 6. After surgery, that was 8-10.

- around 4:10 No there's no change. Dave's still got a cast on. TJ's out of a cast, but there's at least 2 weeks before his hand has strength.

- 4:20, can't hear the question: Ehhh I'd just... You'd have to ask the doctors about it. Right now, I doubt it.

I can't even hear what he's doubting. Who has better ears than me?

I originally thought the question to Arians was, "Do you expect to get BOTH Logan and DJ back this year?" To which, Arians replied, "I doubt it." Open for interpretation if so

The Cardinals aren't making the playoffs and therefore will not be forcing DJ back. If he's ready to go week 14 or 15 they may very well just shut him down for the year and ride out AP. I know he's a quick healer, but why risk re-injury on a lost cause? Rest up and get ready for next season. 

26 minutes ago, Pigskingpin said:

The Cardinals aren't making the playoffs and therefore will not be forcing DJ back. If he's ready to go week 14 or 15 they may very well just shut him down for the year and ride out AP. I know he's a quick healer, but why risk re-injury on a lost cause? Rest up and get ready for next season. 

Because he's still got less than 25 starts under his belt and could use some game experience this year so that he's not an entire year removed from a live game next season?  Or because a wrist is a somewhat freak injury and the odds of him re-injuring aren't likely and even if he did... he'd have all off season to rehab it?  Or maybe cause he's hungry and he wants back in?  Or even because Cardinal fans will want something to watch after their team is eliminated from contention?

Plenty of reasons to play him if healthy... not many realistic ones to sit him. 

Edited by Gabbed

A day after coach Bruce Arians said he doubts David Johnson will play again this season, the Cardinals running back said he’s still holding out hope he will be activated off injured reserve and be back on the field.

Johnson has been out since suffering a disclosed left wrist in the season opener at Detroit, and although he is eligible to start practicing again this week, he’s still wearing a cast on his hand and until he gets that removed there will be no comeback in 2017.

He still thinks there is a chance, however.

“Yeah, I’m definitely still staying optimistic,” Johnson told azcentral sports on Wednesday. “That’s the thing, staying optimistic. I’m still trying to get on the field as soon as I can, but I’ve got to be 100 percent. I’ve got to make sure the wrist is 100 percent.”

Arians raised eyebrows with his comments on Tuesday in which he made it sound as if neither Johnson nor fellow running back T.J. Logan, also on IR following surgery to repair a fractured left wrist, will have enough time this season to make it back healthy enough to play.

When asked if that was a little stunning to hear from his coach, Johnson replied, “No, it’s not stunning. That’s the way he’s thinking. He’s been in the league and been coaching for a while. Like him, he doesn’t know. We don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m still in this cast for a couple weeks, so who knows what’s going to happen?”

The NFL’s leader last season in touchdowns (20) and yards gained from scrimmage (2,118), Johnson said he can’t be sure if he will play again this year or be shut down until 2018.

“I don’t know. I honestly don’t know what’s going to happen,” he said. “I still have this cast on, so who knows? No one knows. We’ll see.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2017/11/01/cardinals-david-johnson-hopes-to-returnn-2017-running-back/823605001/

David Johnson (wrist, injured reserve) said he is "staying optimistic" about returning this season.

Both coach Bruce Arians and GM Steve Keim threw cold water on Johnson's return Tuesday, but the back is still holding out hope. "I’m still trying to get on the field as soon as I can, but I’ve got to be 100 percent," Johnson said. "I’ve got to make sure the wrist is 100 percent." Even if Johnson returns this season, it does not appear as if he has any shot of getting back on the field before the fantasy playoffs. He is not a must-hold for teams fighting for a playoff spot.

Source: Arizona Republic
Nov 2 - 9:26 AM
19 minutes ago, smeeze said:

A day after coach Bruce Arians said he doubts David Johnson will play again this season, the Cardinals running back said he’s still holding out hope he will be activated off injured reserve and be back on the field.

Johnson has been out since suffering a disclosed left wrist in the season opener at Detroit, and although he is eligible to start practicing again this week, he’s still wearing a cast on his hand and until he gets that removed there will be no comeback in 2017.

He still thinks there is a chance, however.

“Yeah, I’m definitely still staying optimistic,” Johnson told azcentral sports on Wednesday. “That’s the thing, staying optimistic. I’m still trying to get on the field as soon as I can, but I’ve got to be 100 percent. I’ve got to make sure the wrist is 100 percent.”

Arians raised eyebrows with his comments on Tuesday in which he made it sound as if neither Johnson nor fellow running back T.J. Logan, also on IR following surgery to repair a fractured left wrist, will have enough time this season to make it back healthy enough to play.

When asked if that was a little stunning to hear from his coach, Johnson replied, “No, it’s not stunning. That’s the way he’s thinking. He’s been in the league and been coaching for a while. Like him, he doesn’t know. We don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m still in this cast for a couple weeks, so who knows what’s going to happen?”

The NFL’s leader last season in touchdowns (20) and yards gained from scrimmage (2,118), Johnson said he can’t be sure if he will play again this year or be shut down until 2018.

“I don’t know. I honestly don’t know what’s going to happen,” he said. “I still have this cast on, so who knows? No one knows. We’ll see.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2017/11/01/cardinals-david-johnson-hopes-to-returnn-2017-running-back/823605001/

58038727.jpg.cf.jpg

For anyone who follows the cardinals speak to how effective he may be IF he does come back? The line is not good, correct? The QB situation sucks. He was dropped in my main league and I'm wondering if he is worth a stash for a week or two until there is something more definitive or if the situation is so bad it's best to avoid altogether even if he does come back? If anyone can overcome bad circumstances, it's DJ, but he's also had a long layoff in the midst of a lost season.

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

The team is done. Its pretty logical to shut him down in reality.  What's the point? To risk another injury? 

While that make sure logical sense, you can bet DJ wants to be out there for personal stats and competitive reasons and the Cards also have to balance not pissing off their best player. That dynamic is the only way I see him coming back. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic