NBC Sports EDGE Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

elite

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Proto24 said:

I love DJ, he lead me to the championship last year, and I personally will be using a waiver wire pickup for him tomorrow, but if we are being realistic, how much is he actually going to contribute? You have to think that AP is going to be at least slightly involved, if not 50% involved. Also, if AP can't run behind this line, I don't know if DJ will be able to either. His main value is going to come from PPR catching passes out of the backfield, but even still Stanton doesn't have as much of a feel/eye for check downs to DJ as Palmer did.

If you're questioning his effectiveness based off of AP that's a big miss match in my opinion. If it was AP from 3 years ago maybe. But DJ is significantly more talented than AP right now. I think the only real thing that might effect if he's useful or not is his health and their record. Unless you think someone like Zeke or Bell could go to a team so bad they they could be not startable. 

2 minutes ago, Halberdier said:

If you're questioning his effectiveness based off of AP that's a big miss match in my opinion. If it was AP from 3 years ago maybe. But DJ is significantly more talented than AP right now. I think the only real thing that might effect if he's useful or not is his health and their record. Unless you think someone like Zeke or Bell could go to a team so bad they they could be not startable. 

Even at this point in his career AP and DJ talent-wise (albeit a much different running style) have to be very close. Regardless i'm not against DJ, like I said i'll be picking him up myself, but I'm just trying to point out some realistic considerations in this scenario

Edited by Proto24

2 minutes ago, Proto24 said:

Even at this point in his career AP and DJ talent-wise (albeit a much different running style) have to be very close. Regardless i'm not against DJ, like I said i'll be picking him up myself, but I'm just trying to point out some realistic considerations in this scenario

Fair enough, I would imagine if DJ gets back and is a lot more effective than AP he would pretty well get his job back.

So the cast is off, can we expect any medical evaluation any time soon?

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

I went through a similar injury when I was 20 and there's no doubt he has to have the splint.  When you have a broken wrist in a cast, when the cast comes off your wrist has no strength in it at all, not even enough to hold up the weight of your hand, because the muscles haven't been used in months. 

So the pertinent question is...When he rushes back this season, who fumbles more...DJ or AP?

15 minutes ago, Panthor said:

couple of important details you're leaving out currently they are 2 games behind currently, and don't have the tie breaker either atm, so it is really more like being 3 games  out.  they have some pretty tough matchups coming up including games again some of the top defenses in the league, JAX, LAR, and SEA.  and a tough road game in WAS.   teams that are much stronger than they are, are still fighting to get in, such as ATL, DET,  and DAL.  wildcard teams are currently 6-3.  and then you have several at 5-4, all of which are in better situations than where ARI is right now. 

@HOU - should win

JAX - loss

LAR - loss

TEN - can win

@WAS - can win

NYG - win

@SEA - loss

so even they managed to win 4 of the next 7 it puts them at 8-8, so unless you want to say both SEA and CAR are going to basically collapse in the second half or that ATL, DET, DAL can't manage to either get 3 or 4 wins in the second half.  and even if all of that did happen and SEA only got to 8-8, as long as they beat ARI at home in week 17 they would still get in over ARI.  ARI's playoff hopes are basically gone at this point.  they may not be mathematically eliminated but they are the longest of long shots at this point based on their remaining schedule, the remaining schedules of teams in front of them, and the state of the team as a whole.  they aren't in the thick of anything, they are on the outside looking in. 

certainly anything can happen, things can change quickly in the NFL, but they need a lot of things to fall their way to get back into this race.

Look, I'm not arguing the Cardinals are a likely playoff contender. I think they stink. But Chao is saying DJ could be good to go 2 weeks after having the cast removed (which is 2 weeks from today). At that point, Arizona will have played Houston and Jacksonville. Based on your own predictions, that puts them at 5-6. If DJ is healthy and can play, there is no reason not to play him.

And again, I don't think anyone here is arguing that it is a certainty (or even very likely) that DJ will come back and be counted on in fantasy. But there is a percentage chance of it. It is not zero. And there are PLENTY of scenarios in which even a 5 or 10% chance makes stashing him a perfectly good play...aka you're 9-1 or 8-2 or have deeper benches or an IR spot or something.

5 minutes ago, Proto24 said:

In what universe are AP and DJ close talent-wise in the year 2017?

4 minutes ago, BronXBombers51 said:

Look, I'm not arguing the Cardinals are a likely playoff contender. I think they stink. But Chao is saying DJ could be good to go 2 weeks after having the cast removed (which is 2 weeks from today). At that point, Arizona will have played Houston and Jacksonville. Based on your own predictions, that puts them at 5-6. If DJ is healthy and can play, there is no reason not to play him.

And again, I don't think anyone here is arguing that it is a certainty (or even very likely) that DJ will come back and be counted on in fantasy. But there is a percentage chance of it. It is not zero. And there are PLENTY of scenarios in which even a 5 or 10% chance makes stashing him a perfectly good play...aka you're 9-1 or 8-2 or have deeper benches or an IR spot or something.

I agree with your main point but there is no guarantee they will be able to beat the Texans. The Cardinals will be  down to their 3rd string QB for the next few weeks with Stanton spraining his knee. They could easily be 4-7 fourteen days from now. 

4 minutes ago, BronXBombers51 said:

i've always said he is a good stash, if you can afford to do it.  i was just trying to point out that the idea of them being "in the thick" of a playoff race is a bit optimistic. 

as for Dr. Chao, he is certainly providing a service by lending his expertise, but he has a pretty checkered past as far as his tenure as the Chargers team doctor.  there is a reason he was fired from the job years ago.  so i take everything he says with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Proto24 said:

el oh el 

1 hour ago, Proto24 said:

Even at this point in his career AP and DJ talent-wise (albeit a much different running style) have to be very close.

Yes, the 32 year-old RB with little left compares to DJ, a 26 year-old RB, who took the league by storm last season. 

You must be on something, brother. That was pure horse****.

1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

I agree with your main point but there is no guarantee they will be able to beat the Texans. The Cardinals will be  down to their 3rd string QB for the next few weeks with Stanton spraining his knee. They could easily be 4-7 fourteen days from now. 

Have you watched the Texans lately lol?

6 minutes ago, MyDawgggg said:

Have you watched the Texans lately lol?

yeah and the fact that most probably won't confidently say ARI will win this game should tell you all you need to know about where ARI is as a team.  HOU and ARI are pretty much in the same spot in the playoff race in their respective conferences.  don't see much talk anywhere about the HOU being "in the thick" of anything.  just more of how they are done for the season because they lost Watson.  and they are actually in the easier division compared to ARI, since they have IND and to a lesser extent TEN. whereas ARI has to deal with LAR and SEA

7 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

SO ... are we happy about this or false hope ?

It seems WE are divided:

- no way he comes back

- of course he does

Realistically though, this is a good step, but the bad news is we're behind schedule. The main step is the team still has (I think) to bring him from IR to IR-R: designated to return. If I remember correctly this means an earliest return of week 13 and possibly week 14.

And if week 14 is his first game, I won't play him, for fear of rust/timeshare/limitations/other issues. So his use becomes less and less.

13 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

It seems WE are divided:

- no way he comes back

- of course he does

Realistically though, this is a good step, but the bad news is we're behind schedule. The main step is the team still has (I think) to bring him from IR to IR-R: designated to return. If I remember correctly this means an earliest return of week 13 and possibly week 14.

And if week 14 is his first game, I won't play him, for fear of rust/timeshare/limitations/other issues. So his use becomes less and less.

Earliest would be/could be week12

21 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

It seems WE are divided:

- no way he comes back

- of course he does

Luckily I'm on my way to clinching the bye. I'd love if he got back week 13. He's a fast healer it seems from how quickly he got back the meniscus tear. Hope he could keep that going.

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic