NBC Sports EDGE Forums

David Johnson 2017 Outlook

elite

19 minutes ago, Woonga24 said:

I drafted him last season and drafted him again this season. Can you imagine if he did come back and tore his acl or something? :X

What does DJ’s wrist have to do with his ACL?  

Should the Bears just bench Jordan Howard for the rest of the season because he might blow out his knee?  Should the Bucs bench Mike Evans until next year? What about AJ Green?  Nuk Hopkins?

All these guys are on teams that have about the same shot of making the playoffs, if not worse.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Should the Bears just bench Jordan Howard for the rest of the season because he might blow out his knee?  Should the Bucs bench Mike Evans until next year? What about AJ Green?  Nuk Hopkins?

All these guys are on teams that have about the same shot of making the playoffs, if not worse.

Do you think the Packers will be rushing Rodgers out to play week 16-17 if they are out of contention as well?

12 minutes ago, smeeze said:

100% agree.  These guys are getting paid for 16 games plus playoffs.  If they are healthy to play they should play.  How can you withhold DJ and not everyone else to,protect them from further injury?  In fact, why not just cancel the season if eliminated. 

24 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Do you think the Packers will be rushing Rodgers out to play week 16-17 if they are out of contention as well?

The Packers are 5-4, hardly out of it at this point.  But yes, if Rodgers is medically cleared to play in week 12 or 13 I’d expect him to be out there, regardless of whether or not they’re mathematically eliminated.  I’m not sure where week 16/17 came from because by all accounts DJ should beat that timetables significantly.

5 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Good RB's are much easier to find than Hall of Fame QB's like Aaron Rodgers. Not even close to an apples to apples comparison.

8 hours ago, CletisVanDamme said:

The difference is that Rodgers' timeline to even be able to return for Week 16/17 is quite aggressive, especially considering the surgery was more involved than originally anticipated.  DJ has his cast off NOW, and could be playing by Week 12.  Big difference between a team mathematically still alive in Week 12 versus the final game of the season.

The Packers will likely know their fate for certain by Week 17 even if they could rush Rodgers back.  You can sit here and say the Cards won't make the playoffs, and they probably won't, but they also won't be mathematically eliminated for a few weeks (especially if they beat HOU like they should), so I don't think anyone on that team is throwing in the towel yet.

I think @smeeze (and others) make the most logical sense - if the argument is they shouldn't play him to 'save' him for next year, then why aren't even worse teams like Chicago / TB / SF / Indy / etc all resting their best players ROS?  The wrist injury has a very low likelihood of re-injury, this isn't something lower body ligament-type injury where the healing is a grey area - the bone is either healed or not.  If you're preventing other injuries then why not prevent injuries to any decent player or starter once you're eliminated from playoff contention?  Just put the practice squad out there.

The reality is that most fantasy leagues end in Week 16 because playoff teams rest their top players at the end of the season. It's generally not a problem with non-playoff teams unless it's a lingering pull or sprain or something like that.  The way some of you are talking we might as well just cancel the rest of Arizona's games in case of possible injuries.

The  "wow what if he comes back and tears his ACL" or anything along those lines argument is so damn stupid. 

There's a big difference between having a guy like RG3 play on an injured knee and then him destroying that knee and having a guy coming off an injured wrist suffer a knee injury. There is no relation. The wirst will heal 100% and it is not as complex nor does it linger like a hamstring for instance. In the end, your argument is the stud shouldn't play because the team is not in a legitimate playoff hunt. Frankly, that is an extremely stupid argument.

I really don't understand the "hold him back if they don't make the playoffs" argument.  If he's not healthy?  For sure.  But if he goes through rehab and he is back to football shape?  Why wouldn't he play?  As others have said up in the thread above, then why wouldn't "star" players on terrible teams just sit out the rest of this season.  And if teams are going to be terrible even next year, why bother to put your assets on the field?  Why bother to let Jimmy G even step foot on the field next year?  The team isn't going anywhere and they're going to be awful and won't make the playoffs.  The argument is asinine.

Players play.  That's what they do.  And they make a lot of money to do so.  And fans come to the stadium to see the players play.  I'm guessing week 14 he's back out there.

6 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Do we think he takes on his role before he was injured? Gotta think Peterson cuts in at least a little, especially with him coming off an injury.

Wow good question, you're totally the first one asking that. It's been 20 pages people discuss wether he comes back or not, or if his carries will suffer from AP.

20 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Do we think he takes on his role before he was injured? Gotta think Peterson cuts in at least a little, especially with him coming off an injury.

IF DJ does come back, I can only imagine that AP will still be involved to a certain extent. To what degree remains unseen. I would guess that AP will get more snaps than Williams/Ellington were getting at the beginning of the season when DJ was getting essentially every snap/touch. My best guess would be a 80/20 - 70/30 split.

I won't be playing DJ the first game back, since I have other good RB options. I want to see his & AP's role in the offense before I bench one of my other guys. 

55 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

If he's healthy, the smartest thing to do would be to cut AP before he infects your young rb.

1 hour ago, this guy right here said:

If he comes back, with AP being the type of back that relies on volume and with DJ's ability to catch passes, DJ will be the 3rd down and COP back, while AP will get the early down and goal line carries

• tonycpsu changed the title to David Johnson 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic