NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 Middle Relievers Thread

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following up on the Adam Warren conversation...He's now pitched a total of 6 innings over 3 appearances in the last 6 days. His first two outings he went for 2.1 IP and had 2 Ks then 4 Ks respectively. These came after Tanaka couldn't get past the 3rd inning on Opening Day and Pineda couldn't get out of the 4th on April 5th. And just two days ago he went for another 1.1 innings. And he hasn't issued a walk yet. If the Yanks keep using him every 3 days or so for 1-2 innings per outing we could be looking at a very cheap version of Andrew Miller. No I don't expect his ratios or K's to be as elite as Millers' but they could be very valuable if he continues doing what he's doing. 

Trevor Rosenthal due back from the DL today. 

I will be interested to see how he is used after the Cardinals briefly toyed with making him a starter again. He could be a little more stretched out than your typical setup man as a result, and there was a lot of talk of him being the Cardinals version of Andrew Miller. 

I think that comparison is getting way overplayed, but if Rosenthal can locate his pitches and stop walking a million batters, he could actually be a pretty good replica in my opinion. He definitely has the "stuff" to get a lot of strikeouts. He's the kind of guy that could become a weapon if he's deployed strategically (not just saving him for the 8th inning). 

Y'all might want to take a hard look at Archie Bradley. Doesn't have RP eligibility in ESPN yet (I'm assuming it will come?) but he's got electric stuff and Rodney in front of him...

Edited by remark900
4 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Trevor Rosenthal due back from the DL today. 

I will be interested to see how he is used after the Cardinals briefly toyed with making him a starter again. He could be a little more stretched out than your typical setup man as a result, and there was a lot of talk of him being the Cardinals version of Andrew Miller. 

I think that comparison is getting way overplayed, but if Rosenthal can locate his pitches and stop walking a million batters, he could actually be a pretty good replica in my opinion. He definitely has the "stuff" to get a lot of strikeouts. He's the kind of guy that could become a weapon if he's deployed strategically (not just saving him for the 8th inning). 

I'm with you. Read good stuff about Rosenthal this off season. He's going to have value in deeper leagues. Also, I'm not sure siegriest is that intriguing of an arm making Rosenthal the best non oh arm in the pen imo.

2 minutes ago, S1mcity said:

Who is he again. 

Probably the best rp prospect in the minors. Although ultimately some sp prospects will end up in relief, obviously.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
1 hour ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Glad I saw this joe Jimenez news before 8 am (faab processing time). Bet I can sneak a $0 bid in and grab him.

I regret being a ****y. A $5 bid would have won.

9 hours ago, chud12 said:

Not liking Grant Daytons usage thus far.. 3 appearances all when the Dodgers have been trailing.,..

dodgers just haven't had many hold situations so far. only 2 games with small leads to protect. one they used alex wood for 2 innings, the other one was only a hold sitch in the 5th / 6th innings (fields/avilan) and then they extended the lead before dayton's point in the game came up. i still think he's one of the main setup guys, don't panic yet

13 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Lorenzen gets put into a HLD situation in the 3rd inning with bases loaded no outs - not what I had in mind. Isn't Dusty gone.

Holy hell he got out of it unscathed. This dude is a stud BTW.

I believe Lorenzen gets a save assuming PIT doesn't come back - or maybe a win? Very unusual situation because Finnegan was obv not win-eligible so maybe Lorenzen becomes pitcher of record for the win - not sure. 

3 perfect innings w/3 Ks including bases loaded/0 outs when he came in.

32 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I believe Lorenzen gets a save assuming PIT doesn't come back - or maybe a win? Very unusual situation because Finnegan was obv not win-eligible so maybe Lorenzen becomes pitcher of record for the win - not sure. 

3 perfect innings w/3 Ks including bases loaded/0 outs when he came in.

He will get the win

28 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Rosenthal strikes out the side in 14 pitches. Didn't get to see it so I don't know how he looked but I certainly like the result!

Threw a couple 100 mph heaters.

Difo and Eaton went down swinging on fastballs and he got Rendon looking at a curve slider. 

Edited by SwayzeExpress