NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shabazz Muhammad 2016-2017 Season Outlook

JohnnyTsunami

It would be interesting to see if Brandon Rush is the main beneficiary. The last time Lavine was out, Rush basically just handled all the available minutes and put up very nice stats. Shabazz's role may not changed too much.

1 hour ago, ryanii said:

The last time Lavine was out, Rush basically just handled all the available minutes and put up very nice stats. 

When was this?

I just looked through Rush's game logs for the last 2 years and nowhere do I see any stretch with "very nice stats".

In any case, I just picked up Bazz.

5 minutes ago, alexstr said:

When was this?

I just looked through Rush's game logs for the last 2 years and nowhere do I see any stretch with "very nice stats".

In any case, I just picked up Bazz.

Jan 11 v HOU (36mins, 4 3ptm, 3 stl, 3 blk) / Jan 13 v OKC (39mins, 3 3ptm, 2 stl, 2blk)

4 hours ago, Gdupm6 said:

Whats the news with this guy now that Lavine is out for the season? Does he get the starting gig? How many minutes would he possibly average now? 

I don't know if he is going to get the starting gig because the Timberwolves do several options for guards, but we will definitely see more Shabazz action.  However, the person who will benefit would be Ricky Rubio, and that is it.

Right now, I just added him to wait and see if he can keep up with his shooting.

He's actually a really underrated player, I'm actually really surprised he's wasted away on Minnesota's bench last year and this year. Two years ago, when given more than 20 min/game he averaged in 21 games, 18.8 points, 5.6 rebounds on 49% from the field. He's going to take this opportunity and run with it the rest of the year. He's also a restricted free agent this summer, someone will pay this guy $15 mil/year if he puts up at least 15 points/game the rest of the way I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, worldclass said:

He's actually a really underrated player, I'm actually really surprised he's wasted away on Minnesota's bench last year and this year.

Is he really though?  When I watch Minnesota games and Shabazz is playing I get the sense he can only really do one thing: score.  You look at the boxscores when he's given extended run and shot attempts and you think "oh ok this guy is doing work" but then you watch him play and you're not sold.  He's not elite at shooting, isn't really that great at beating his man off the dribble and isn't great at scoring in traffic, but is kind of just good enough and athletic enough that more often than not he can score.  Also he makes an absolute killing leaking out in transition, which I think has inflated his stats a bit because he's always played with a pass-first PG in Rubio.

He can't defend consistently although at times he tries hard but IMO the worst thing about Shabazz is that he just hasn't got good bball IQ, especially on offense, and when O is your main calling card that's not a good match.  So many times I've watched Timberwolves games and Shabazz either completely disregards the extra pass to shoot it himself, or forces the issue and fluffs the possession or ends up passing it to a team mate in a horrible situation.

Archived