NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tom Brady 2017 Outlook

swaggyp

Here's the thing though. I'm convinced that in Dynasty, 90% of us would at least have considered that trade. Yet even Bill Bilichick, arguably one the smartest coaches of all time, refuses to even discuss it.

Real world considerations (which do not bother us), prevent NFL teams from making the best decisions.

Edited by Boudewijn

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Here's the thing though. I'm convinced that in Dynasty, 90% of us would at least have considered that trade. Yet even Bill Bilichick, arguably one the smartest coaches of all time, refuses to even discuss it.

Real world considerations (which do not bother us), prevent NFL teams from making the best decisions.

Uh....trading your starting QB midseason?  I'm confused.  Are you saying they should have considered it? 

7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Brady is my starting QB in a high-stakes dynasty league (Dynasty Football World Championship) -- and there is no way I'd trade him midseason for anything less than a top-3 1st round pick. BB did the smart thing, as usual. 

5 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Uh....trading your starting QB midseason?  I'm confused.  Are you saying they should have considered it? 

Of course they should at least have considered it. If it'd had been any other player, any other position, it would have been an easy decision.

13 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

So if he is one of the smartest coaches of all time and the Patriots one of the greatest organizations of all time (over last 17 year reign), then why didn't he make the right choice? Patriots are headed to the playoffs. You don't trade Brady. Regardless, Brady will retire in a Patriots uniform. 

Just now, Boudewijn said:

Of course they should at least have considered it. If it'd had been any other player, any other position, it would have been an easy decision.

I don't see any reason you would.  Why would you mess with your team?  It isn't the offseason.  That doesn't make any sense to me.

You don't change QBs midseason when winning. 

Actually, I've got to confess I didn't have my facts straight.

I assumed that Brady at the age of 40 would be showing signs of slowing down - but he's not. Last year was one of the best seasons in his career, and this year is still above average. He still has a 66.7% compeltion rate, 300+ ypg, 2 TDs and .25 INT; all those numbers are above his career averages. He's at least top5  in every meaningful stat this year. However I crunched the numbers, basically the guy is a machine (and has been since 2007).

I was going to claim Brady has at best 1-2 more years in the league (before going down the path of Favre and Rice), but now I'm not convinced of that anymore. I'll shut up and let Belichick do his job. Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Who likes Brady this week? Recently he's been 250 yd on average with around 2 TD (and only 1 Int the past 4 games).

Oak should be a good opponent for him, but even better for the RBs. I fear that Belichick may choose to protect Brady a bit and choose to run a lot (so good games for Burkhead and Lewis).

Anyone think that makes sense?

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Who likes Brady this week? Recently he's been 250 yd on average with around 2 TD (and only 1 Int the past 4 games).

Oak should be a good opponent for him, but even better for the RBs. I fear that Belichick may choose to protect Brady a bit and choose to run a lot (so good games for Burkhead and Lewis).

No I don’t because the raiders are more than capable of taking apart the New England defense with their weapons. Pure shootout. Brady over 300 for 3 touchdowns with upside for monster game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I like Brady every week

I'm a little worried about Brady this week.  The Patriots defense has been playing well lately and that has been capping Brady's ceiling.   Once the Patriots get a game under control, they rein in the passing game.  Brady is always a solid performer.  I just don't see explosive potential.   Maybe Matt Moore gives the Dolphins a spark, but I'm not optimistic.

58 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

I'm a little worried about Brady this week.  The Patriots defense has been playing well lately and that has been capping Brady's ceiling.   Once the Patriots get a game under control, they rein in the passing game.  Brady is always a solid performer.  I just don't see explosive potential.   Maybe Matt Moore gives the Dolphins a spark, but I'm not optimistic.

Well yeah he may not throw for 5 TD's but he is a near lock for 300+ and 3 td's.

On 11/5/2017 at 3:54 PM, Boudewijn said:

But you would consider this.

Considering isn't the same thing as making the deal. For a team trying to win a title, there's no QB I'd rather have down the stretch except Wilson. That means more to me than the 1.02 or 1.03 pick in the upcoming rookie pick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone worried, given the stinker he put up against the Bills last week (8 points in my league)? I know they destroyed them on the ground and he wasn’t needed to air things out, because of game flow. 

I’m not worried per se, but Gronk not being there as a safety valve is a little concerning. I’m hoping that he has a bounce back game this week, especially given they’re playing the Fins in prime time. Brady usually excels in this spot.

Also, I hope that the Achilles isn’t an issue.

I'm

14 minutes ago, Bingo Bandanas said:

Anyone worried, given the stinker he put up against the Bills last week (8 points in my league)? I know they destroyed them on the ground and he wasn’t needed to air things out, because of game flow.

Yup, I'm worried for exactly those reasons. 

Every QB (player really) will have down games.. it happens, there is little to suggest that this may be a trend of any sorts. The Patriots once again played a very good "real" football game where Brady just happened to not throw any TDs. I've got a lot of stock in Brady during the fantasy playoffs this year and I can confidently say he is the least of my worries. 

Edited by MoonBlaster

HOPING for a good bounce-back on Monday. 

My constant fear is that NE jumps to a 24-0 lead in the first half and they spend the majority of the second half running out the clock.  If Brady doesn't have  two or three TDs by then, then I'm looking at another 10-to-12-point stinker from my QB slot.

15 minutes ago, LJC said:

HOPING for a good bounce-back on Monday. 

My constant fear is that NE jumps to a 24-0 lead in the first half and they spend the majority of the second half running out the clock.  If Brady doesn't have  two or three TDs by then, then I'm looking at another 10-to-12-point stinker from my QB slot.

Yeah, that’s the key word for me too: HOPING. Like you described above, I could easily see them running out the clock in the second half and just salting it away.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Tom Brady 2017 Outlook
  • jbshaw locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic