NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

6 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Todd doesn't play WR.

A top 15 pick and only talented player on his offense was certainly accounted for his rookie year.

Looking at game logs for a rookie is ridiculous. The overall body of work showed an efficient ball carrier and now an ascending pass catcher.

Alright. So if looking at it for his rookie year is ridiculous look at his second year. Both are terrible so either way.

5 hours ago, 96mnc said:

This. 

Anyone doubting the focus that teams put towards stopping Gurley after they saw him destroy teams his first few games simply needs to put on game tape.  Eight man fronts and safeties flying downhill are what you'll see.   Total focus towards stopping Gurley with no regard or respect at all for the passing game.

Correct. When teams put focus on him he has been terrible. Like so much other RBs that had a few flukey games due to lack of focus before disappointing owners and sucking.

4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Alright. So if looking at it for his rookie year is ridiculous look at his second year. Both are terrible so either way.

Correct. When teams put focus on him he has been terrible. Like so much other RBs that had a few flukey games due to lack of focus before disappointing owners and sucking.

It's one thing to focus on stopping on a rb.  

It's another thing to completely sell out to stop a rb with complete disregard for the passing game/qb AND when the OC predictably runs on first and second down AND when the oline is a complete and total train wreck.  

That collective situation was an embarrassment last year.   I'm not saying Gurley is completely without fault as towards the end of the season his vision was gone and he missed holes a few times but it was clear that he was shell-shocked.  

That collective offensive performance last year by the oline, qb, and coaching staff was disgraceful.  One of the worst I've ever seen.

24 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

What do you personally think Gurleys upside is in 2017 assuming they improve their line play?

Tbd.  Depends on the extent of their OL changes.  I saw one salvageable player at his current position,  the RT Havenstein.  Everything else is in question.

I'm going to give McVey the benefit of the doubt that the play calling will be better.   It can't be worse, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

What do you personally think Gurleys upside is in 2017 assuming they improve their line play?

RB3 overall is max upside.

No way he bests David Johnson, unlikely (impossible) he gets in dallas like situation. Also unlikely he bests bell but let's wait and see if bell plays a full 16.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS

22 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Tbd.  Depends on the extent of their OL changes.  I saw one salvageable player at his current position,  the RT Havenstein.  Everything else is in question.

I'm going to give McVey the benefit of the doubt that the play calling will be better.   It can't be worse, that's for sure.

I'm very excited to see what McVay does for this offense.  It was a great hire, and a completely different approach than what the Rams had with Fisher.  

If Gurley can be a solid RB2/flex with the upside for more, Ill be happy.  

In dynasty I think you have to hold.  Can't imagine someone will give you anything close to what you paid for him in a start up or a rookie draft.

23 hours ago, 96mnc said:

It's one thing to focus on stopping on a rb.  

It's another thing to completely sell out to stop a rb with complete disregard for the passing game/qb AND when the OC predictably runs on first and second down AND when the oline is a complete and total train wreck.  

That collective situation was an embarrassment last year.   I'm not saying Gurley is completely without fault as towards the end of the season his vision was gone and he missed holes a few times but it was clear that he was shell-shocked.  

That collective offensive performance last year by the oline, qb, and coaching staff was disgraceful.  One of the worst I've ever seen.

I understand your claim of Gurley was "shell-shocked" and "didn't care"

For 24 games? Common you can't really believe that.

You can use the same argument for T-Rich. He was put on an utterly terrible team, lost confidence, and never recovered. His first year was also FAR worse than people thought and clearly pointed to a bust in the second season. 

Do I have a terrible eye or something because when going back and watching his runs in 2015 he looked pretty good, even in the second half of the season his runs looked sharp and brutal at the point of contact. The talent is of course there. Anyone have his YAC and missed tackles for 2015? 

I may be bias because I want him to work. I can definitely agree on his 2016 being absolute plod city especially the second half. He still posts ads every other day and has a weekly post at some other sporting event on his social media, sure hope he realized how historically bad his 2016 was and hits it this offseason.... 

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

I understand your claim of Gurley was "shell-shocked" and "didn't care"

For 24 games? Common you can't really believe that.

You can use the same argument for T-Rich. He was put on an utterly terrible team, lost confidence, and never recovered. His first year was also FAR worse than people thought and clearly pointed to a bust in the second season. 

I never said he didn't care.  I said running into a brick wall the first half of the season affected his vision. 

Trich wasn't ever the talent of Gurley.  They weren't comparable athletes coming into the NFL.  Gurley averaged 6.7 ypc in college,  Trich 5.9 behind those beasts at Bama.  He was incredibly overrated coming into the NFL.

1 hour ago, JSA2422 said:

Do I have a terrible eye or something because when going back and watching his runs in 2015 he looked pretty good, even in the second half of the season his runs looked sharp and brutal at the point of contact. The talent is of course there. Anyone have his YAC and missed tackles for 2015? 

I may be bias because I want him to work. I can definitely agree on his 2016 being absolute plod city especially the second half. He still posts ads every other day and has a weekly post at some other sporting event on his social media, sure hope he realized how historically bad his 2016 was and hits it this offseason.... 

No problem going to sporting events now but when workouts come around, no more skipping to go hang with his roc nation boys.

4.8 ypc

57 evaded tackles (#16 overall RB) 

Evaded tackles are a decieving stat though most of the time, many high volume dude guys have high numbers in that category so much so that I garner it almost useless.

For example, Todd did not run well this year, still finished 20th with 47 evaded tackles. Two pedestrian volume backs for example, jay ajayi and jordan howard, both finished top 10 in the category.

6 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I never said he didn't care.  I said running into a brick wall the first half of the season affected his vision. 

Trich wasn't ever the talent of Gurley.  They weren't comparable athletes coming into the NFL.  Gurley averaged 6.7 ypc in college,  Trich 5.9 behind those beasts at Bama.  He was incredibly overrated coming into the NFL.

It's very easy to claim that now mate. I can argue that he was elite and that playing in Cleveland utterly destroyed his confidence and he never recovered. Do I believe that? Not necessarily but saying Richardson was always a scrub while Gurley is a generational player even though their first two years are very similar is utterly insane. Not saying you claim he is a generational player but a lot of people seem to.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

It's very easy to claim that now mate. I can argue that he was elite and that playing in Cleveland utterly destroyed his confidence and he never recovered. Do I believe that? Not necessarily but saying Richardson was always a scrub while Gurley is a generational player even though their first two years are very similar is utterly insane. Not saying you claim he is a generational player but a lot of people seem to.

The parallels aren't there stop reaching.
Richardson never averaged more than 3.6 YPC in any NFL season and had a "good" rookie season because of TD outliers. 
He steadily declined in regards to receiving. 

Don't compare an explosive playmaker to a living turd.

3 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

The parallels aren't there stop reaching.
Richardson never averaged more than 3.6 YPC in any NFL season and had a "good" rookie season because of TD outliers. 
He steadily declined in regards to receiving. 

Don't compare an explosive playmaker to a living turd.

They are both turds. Gurley was propped up by TDs his rookie year also. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gurley go the way of TRich. His great rookie campaign was primarily done in the first 4-5 weeks he played that season. Everything after that was disappointing. And he has been a disappointment since. Reminds me a bit of Doug Martin imo. Doug Martin's great seasons have all been buoyed by a handful of games, whereas the rest of Martin's games are disappointing. Gurley could end up being an inconsistent type of Doug Martin. Or he could end up continuing down his current TRich path.

15 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Nope.
You can count them all.
Still was.

Supporting a guy others may be down on is fine and respectable if you have thoughtful reasoning. Blindly defending and ignorantly overlooking shortcomings to defend someone to no end is going to lose you some credibility tho. You're going all Axe Elf with this stubborn foolishness.

1 minute ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Supporting a guy others may be down on is fine and respectable if you have thoughtful reasoning. Blindly defending and ignorantly overlooking shortcomings to defend someone to no end is going to lose you some credibility tho. You're going all Axe Elf with this stubborn foolishness.

He averaged 4.8 ypc and may not have even had a good set of knees in 2015.
That is spectacular. 
Please do not take away from that.
Axe elf was on the langford bandwagon amongst others who were league bottom in efficiency. I go based off the metrics driven analysis, there isn't even emotion involved. 

10 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

That is spectacular. 

So he had a good set of knees in 2016 and his YPC dropped to 3.2. So I don't have to take anything away from his YPC, he's doing a great job of that on his own.

23 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

That is spectacular. 
Axe elf was on the langford bandwagon amongst others who were league bottom in efficiency. I go based off the metrics driven analysis, there isn't even emotion involved. 

By nearly every metric, Gurley was one of the worst RBs in the league in 2016. 

I think those leaning on Gurley's stats as evidence that he's not good are vastly underrating how poor the offensive line play and play sequencing were in LA under Fisher the last two years. 

Again,  the offensive "braintrust" has been fired for their incompetence.  

Four of the five offensive linemen were complete jokes and not starting quality IMO.  

It all starts up front.