NBC Sports Edge Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

10 hours ago, Proteus said:

Goff is flagship-level stupid.

But with Gurley, I'm talking more about leadership and "get on my back" mentality. He doesn't have it. He's got the mind of a shallow role-player.

Aside from those other guys I mentioned, Steven Jackson had it, guys like Ahmad Bradshaw and even Alfred Morris once had it. It's a way of talking to your teammates that suggests you are ready to bear the brunt, and it's a way of running that suggets you have no regard for your safety.

It's just absent with this guy.

Just totally don't agree with this.  Watched this guy for 3 years at UGA literally every game and most of them 4-5 times after recording them.  This kid was the best rb to come out since AP at that point.  You seem to forget the stretch he went on for a half season as a rookie?  I don' care who you are, Bell and DJ would get stuffed behind that line.  Anyone questioning Gurley's competitiveness, leadership, or "it" factor just hasn't watched enough of him.  Could he be frustrated?  God who wouldn't be?  His ELITE skill set was also clearly visible during last seasons hard knocks.  Gurley being a top 5 RB in the NFL STATISTICALLY is more of a question of when than if...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thumbs down    Mods, can we get unlike buttons yet? 

Thats pretty much what I figured. That they had some vendetta or score to settle. I'm all for players having critics and naysayers because that's what creates discussion around here. But if you're gon

Posted Images

Edit:

Also, he put UGA on his back every single game he played.  Literally returned a kickoff for a touchdown on his FIRST TOUCH EVER as a collegiate player.  Came back from an ACL injury in less than a year to have 5 100 yard rushing games in like what, 7 total as a NFL rookie?  Like I said, I respect everyone's opinion...but doubting Gurley is only a mistake that defenders tend to make, and they usually don't make that mistake twice.

20 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

Just totally don't agree with this.  Watched this guy for 3 years at UGA literally every game and most of them 4-5 times after recording them.  This kid was the best rb to come out since AP at that point.  You seem to forget the stretch he went on for a half season as a rookie?  I don' care who you are, Bell and DJ would get stuffed behind that line.  Anyone questioning Gurley's competitiveness, leadership, or "it" factor just hasn't watched enough of him.  Could he be frustrated?  God who wouldn't be?  His ELITE skill set was also clearly visible during last seasons hard knocks.  Gurley being a top 5 RB in the NFL STATISTICALLY is more of a question of when than if...

If Gurley hasn't lost it (the violence and pain that a NFL RB endures is difficult for  us to truly comprehend), then with the volume he'll receive, he could easily be the bounce back story of 2017.  That said,  I need to SEE the Gurley you describe reappear, even if just momentarily, before I draft him where he is going at the moment.  It won't take much to prompt me to refill my Kool-Aid glass, but the UGA/NFL rookie Gurley has been MIA for so long that my glass is currently quite empty.

31 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

Thank you, finally some damn optimism. His ADP isn't in the 2nd round for no reason.

I just think his upside is capped this season because of the team he plays for.  We all saw what happened last year and not much has changed.  Sammy Watkins staying healthy should be a big help, but I think the addition of Andrew Whitworth is a bit overvalued at least for Todd Gurley.  Whitworth isn't even all that great of a run blocker, he's just an excellent pass blocker.  He should have no problem being a top 12 RB, but I think top 5 is out of the question for 2017.

Just now, RMJ_12 said:

I just think his upside is capped this season because of the team he plays for.  We all saw what happened last year and not much has changed.  Sammy Watkins staying healthy should be a big help, but I think the addition of Andrew Whitworth is a bit overvalued at least for Todd Gurley.  Whitworth isn't even all that great of a run blocker, he's just an excellent pass blocker.  He should have no problem being a top 12 RB, but I think top 5 is out of the question for 2017.

I think a new coach possibility brings more fire and more creativity with the entire offense in general. Plus we may see Goff take a step forward this season, especially with improved weapons.

Just now, bgar15 said:

I think a new coach possibility brings more fire and more creativity with the entire offense in general. Plus we may see Goff take a step forward this season, especially with improved weapons.

Yeah I think his success is based on Goff's season.  If Goff makes Bortles look good it could be close to a repeat of last year.

He's honestly been my fallback guy in mock drafts lately. I'll take him towards the end of the 2nd round (12 team league) but would have a hard time justifying top 15 placement. Think I still prefer the likes of Murray, Ajayi, and even Zeke still. 

1 hour ago, Triple Crown25 said:

I agree with everything you said...... right up until the start of the 2016 season.  

As I said above, it didn't look like the same player.  I have no idea what the issue is/was.  I was always a big fan, and remember him returning the opening KO for a TD, in his first game at Georgia.  He looked awesome in 2015, as well.  Then came the 2016 season.  He ran straight, made no attempt to slip or beak a tackle, and always went down after first contact.  I know the Rams offense and OL were god awful.  But TG wouldn't be the first talented RB to play for a crappy team.  He could not have looked more disinterested, if he was trying to do so.  And while it was only a few touches (last Sat), he looked like the exact same piece of garbage, I had on my roster last year.  I won't dispute his talent.  Just his want-to.

Edited by Goatstain3
2 hours ago, Triple Crown25 said:

Did you watch him "literally every game" last season? 

Then you won't question why he has doubters. He somehow made a horrid situation worse by his lack of vision, lack of explosiveness and literally quitting on many plays.  All while playing with a 1000 yard WR and facing stacked boxes less often than the average NFL RB (courtesy of Mike Tagliere). And all this happened within a large sample size. 

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Did you watch him "literally every game" last season? 

Then you won't question why he has doubters. He somehow made a horrid situation worse by his lack of vision, lack of explosiveness and literally quitting on many plays.  All while playing with a 1000 yard WR and facing stacked boxes less often than the average NFL RB (courtesy of Mike Tagliere). And all this happened within a large sample size. 

I did "literally" watch quite a few of his games actually.  I love your quote of a 1002 yard receiver in Britt.  You realize when you play from behind by multiple scores it's actually pretty standard to gather more recieving yards than rushing?  If Britt could catch he would've probably had 1300 yards receiving.  I can agree that there were at times lack of vision, probably more of him pressing to try and break the big one early.  If you look at 2015 he had so many long runs, just like the rest of his career.  You can think what you want, all I'm saying is if you put TGIII on the steeler, cards, or cowboys...I bet you wouldn't pass on him top 5.  Now of course the reality is that he isn't on those teams so him being a top 5 back isn't a possibility more than likely.  But doubting this kids talent, drive, and passion for winning is just insane to me.  Maybe we just agree to disagree.

18 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

I did "literally" watch quite a few of his games actually.  I love your quote of a 1002 yard receiver in Britt.  You realize when you play from behind by multiple scores it's actually pretty standard to gather more recieving yards than rushing?  If Britt could catch he would've probably had 1300 yards receiving.  I can agree that there were at times lack of vision, probably more of him pressing to try and break the big one early.  If you look at 2015 he had so many long runs, just like the rest of his career.  You can think what you want, all I'm saying is if you put TGIII on the steeler, cards, or cowboys...I bet you wouldn't pass on him top 5.  Now of course the reality is that he isn't on those teams so him being a top 5 back isn't a possibility more than likely.  But doubting this kids talent, drive, and passion for winning is just insane to me.  Maybe we just agree to disagree.

Britt missed a game yet still passed 1000 yards despite the worst QBs in the league...you failed to mention that. He was also on track for 1300 yards until Goff became the starter. 

This time a year ago, Gurley was running his mouth that he was better than DJ -- LOL then, and LOL x 1000 now. He needs to keep his mouth shut and give his full effort this year, because he really has looked like TRich over his past 20 NFL games. 

And yes, I would pass over him top-5 right now regardless of team because an RB hasn't done so little with so much volume since 2012 TRich, and even he was an RB1 that season, unlike Gurley last year. 

17 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Britt missed a game yet still passed 1000 yards despite the worst QBs in the league...you failed to mention that. He was also on track for 1300 yards until Goff became the starter. 

This time a year ago, Gurley was running his mouth that he was better than DJ -- LOL then, and LOL x 1000 now. He needs to keep his mouth shut and give his full effort this year, because he really has looked like TRich over his past 20 NFL games. 

And yes, I would pass over him top-5 right now regardless of team because an RB hasn't done so little with so much volume since 2012 TRich, and even he was an RB1 that season, unlike Gurley last year. 

You also fail to mention that Gurley was rarely in during passing situations last year.  An average fan can diagnose that defensively it's time to gear for the run when he's in.  Again, I'm not standing here touting that he's better than DJ or Bell, not really sure why you included that.  What I'm saying now, and have been saying is that if you are questioning his ability and competiveness I just downright disagree.  I'm not calling you wrong, I'm just saying I honestly disagree with you.  LA was a dumpster fire last year and he's included, but saying he is Trent Richardson is a bit ridiculous.  Could he turn out that way? Sure it's a possibility.  But it's also at least equally the possibility he trends upwards significantly.  

2 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

You also fail to mention that Gurley was rarely in during passing situations last year.  An average fan can diagnose that defensively it's time to gear for the run when he's in.  Again, I'm not standing here touting that he's better than DJ or Bell, not really sure why you included that.  What I'm saying now, and have been saying is that if you are questioning his ability and competiveness I just downright disagree.  I'm not calling you wrong, I'm just saying I honestly disagree with you.  LA was a dumpster fire last year and he's included, but saying he is Trent Richardson is a bit ridiculous.  Could he turn out that way? Sure it's a possibility.  But it's also at least equally the possibility he trends upwards significantly.  

True. But your initial post disparaged people who have doubts about him. There are SEVERAL good reasons to have doubts about him this year...and many of those people watched him extensively last year. 

For his sake, I hope he can be an RB1 this season. Two years ago I thought he was the only rookie RB who could rival DJ as a three-down back, and it would be nice to see him live up to that potential. 

Just now, joshua18 said:

True. But your initial post disparaged people who have doubts about him. There are SEVERAL good reasons to have doubts about him this year...and many of those people watched him extensively last year. 

For his sake, I hope he can be an RB1 this season. Two years ago I thought he was the only rookie RB who could rival DJ as a three-down back, and it would be nice to see him live up to that potential. 

Agreed.  There are definitely reasons for doubt, didn't mean to imply that.  I'm just heavily in the camp that feels like he's a legit top 7 talent with a chance for more.  Hopefully the potential starts to translate to reality more this year similar to 2015.  However, I definitely know the feeing of taking a chance on a player and getting burned and being hesitant...know it all too well lol.  I appreciate the respectable discussion, I've have had him as a target in my game plan for my big money league so getting the other side has definitely rounded my approach.  

7 hours ago, Triple Crown25 said:

What Gurley did in college is absolutely MEANINGLESS in the NFL.

I hate to break it to you but Gurley averaged 3.3 yards a carry last year and has ONE 100 yard rushing game in his last COUNT THEM 24 GAMES.

Make all the excuses you want but Gurley is horrible and anyone blaming the offensive line are just fanboys holding onto his draft status which is also meaningless.

2017 may be different for him but the fact is, nobody really knows. People will draft him higher because they see the potential from a couple years ago. Some people have them off the boards because they see his poor season and are fed up with his lack of production. 

One thing is this: if you draft him he is yours. You look for a good start and if you feel he can't keep up or see bad things, trade him to somebody who thinks he is getting the gurley of old. If you like what you see ( reason why you took him in the first place) hold him and you hold the cards. That's the beauty of fantasy football. 

Fyi- I'm in an auction league and probably going for DJ or Bell. Then will wait for the other RB but currently I am weighing my options and considering gurley as RB2. 

30 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

I hate to break it to you but Gurley averaged 3.3 yards a carry last year and has ONE 100 yard rushing game in his last COUNT THEM 24 GAMES.

Make all the excuses you want but Gurley is horrible and anyone blaming the offensive line are just fanboys holding onto his draft status which is also meaningless.

He also had 11 20 yard runs, 5 40 yard runs, 10 tds and 4.8 ypc in 13, yes count them, 13 games as an NFL ROOKIE.  Not college.  You honestly believe that type of production was a fluke?  Was it the product of a good line?  A good team?  The last two can't be true.  Like I've been saying in this thread the entire time, was his season last year a disappointment, one of the biggest.  But saying he is trash, no good, or Trent Richardson is just a poor evaluation of talent.  

His stock will creep up. Especially if he just displays just one good cutback in the preseason. 

I'd be so pissed if some dude grabs DJ or Bell at 1 or 2 then doubles up on a guy like Gurley at the 2/3. 

3 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

He also had 11 20 yard runs, 5 40 yard runs, 10 tds and 4.8 ypc in 13, yes count them, 13 games as an NFL ROOKIE.  Not college.  You honestly believe that type of production was a fluke?  Was it the product of a good line?  A good team?  The last two can't be true.  Like I've been saying in this thread the entire time, was his season last year a disappointment, one of the biggest.  But saying he is trash, no good, or Trent Richardson is just a poor evaluation of talent.  

When's the last time a great NFL RB averaged less than 3.5 yards a carry in the prime of their career? I've watched NFL football for a lot of years and I can't remember one.

8 hours ago, Triple Crown25 said:

1. When there is a sufficient sample size at the NFL level for a player college becomes meaningless. There seems to be a common trend on this forum of individuals referring to college as a positive or a negative when there is already a legitimate sample size of the player at the NFL level. This argument is extremely pointless and only valid when data is still being gathered on the individual. Gurley has over 500 carries in the NFL. In fact, Gurley only has 3 less NFL carries than he did in his entire college career. Making the college claim beyond irrelevant. 

2. The stretch he went on when he is a rookie holds very little value at this stage. We have seen multiple RBs in just recent history go on stretches of dominance only to return little value in the future. There seems to be this misconception that having a few good games makes you elite. The reason these stretches happen is quite simple. When a particular player enters the stage after the season has begun defenses are often times not prepared for that player. What very likely happened is defenses did not account for Gurley properly in their game plan. After all, who would when you have a rookie coming off an injury? You ask if his little streak was a fluke and as of now, yes it seems like it was.

I'm someone that's on record in this thread 100% approving of his ADP. I already have my pick in one of my leagues (12 man picking 2nd) and I would love to have Gurley at 24. This is due to the volume he will achieve and also because I do believe the talent is there. I already outlined earlier in the thread why I believe he has been this bad and that is due to lack of effort. It is not because of the line or anything like that. I can understand 3.7-3.8 YPC with a bad line but 3.2 is next level pathetic. There are no excuses for his terrible performance over the majority of his career.

23 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

He had the same offensive line, same coach, same scheme and basically the same team in 2015 and 2016. The only thing different was Gurley's performance once defenses figured out (around Week 8 2015) all they have to do is get in front of him. He won't be juking anyone, stiff-arming anyone, or running anyone over. Its either a wide-open hole right in front of him so he can run in a straight line, or its a 2-3 yard gain. That's what we saw on 278 carries in 2016.

1 hour ago, raidaz18 said:

Thumbs down 

Mods, can we get unlike buttons yet? 

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

1. When there is a sufficient sample size at the NFL level for a player college becomes meaningless. There seems to be a common trend on this forum of individuals referring to college as a positive or a negative when there is already a legitimate sample size of the player at the NFL level. This argument is extremely pointless and only valid when data is still being gathered on the individual. Gurley has over 500 carries in the NFL. In fact, Gurley only has 3 less NFL carries than he did in his entire college career. Making the college claim beyond irrelevant. 

2. The stretch he went on when he is a rookie holds very little value at this stage. We have seen multiple RBs in just recent history go on stretches of dominance only to return little value in the future. There seems to be this misconception that having a few good games makes you elite. The reason these stretches happen is quite simple. When a particular player enters the stage after the season has begun defenses are often times not prepared for that player. What very likely happened is defenses did not account for Gurley properly in their game plan. After all, who would when you have a rookie coming off an injury? You ask if his little streak was a fluke and as of now, yes it seems like it was.

I'm someone that's on record in this thread 100% approving of his ADP. I already have my pick in one of my leagues (12 man picking 2nd) and I would love to have Gurley at 24. This is due to the volume he will achieve and also because I do believe the talent is there. I already outlined earlier in the thread why I believe he has been this bad and that is due to lack of effort. It is not because of the line or anything like that. I can understand 3.7-3.8 YPC with a bad line but 3.2 is next level pathetic. There are no excuses for his terrible performance over the majority of his career.

100% can see the validity in everything you've mentioned.  Would also like to mention that Bell had a 3.5 ypc with a line FAR superior to LA's.  And that was as a rookie that teams didn't prepare for.  Obviously there's the argument of bell being too heavy then trimming down and turning into the phenom we all see now.  All I'm saying is that i believe the talent gurley has can be top 5, doesn't mean he ever will be, be questioning his talent Ian just off base. 

Edit:  see marshawn Lynch's stats in buffalo compared to Seattle.  And we all respect Marshawn right?

Edited by Triple Crown25