NBC Sports Edge Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

On 7/7/2017 at 1:25 PM, Iron-cock said:

The most comical part about the video dabeesta posted is Gurley made the right read on almost every play.  Someone doesn't know how running plays actually work.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:32 PM, Iron-cock said:

Did you make the video?  The reason I brought it up is it could be misleading to other readers/viewers.  

Which reads did Gurley make incorrectly in those plays in your opinion? 

On 7/7/2017 at 5:58 PM, Iron-cock said:

Really?  Explain why they're right. 

On 7/7/2017 at 6:04 PM, Gohawks said:

Because they point to spaces with more room than spaces Gurley went to?

On 7/7/2017 at 6:19 PM, dabeesta17 said:

Yes, good and great running backs possess a special trait known as vision. Like on a trap play, for instance, defenders are allowed to burst through the line. It will initially look like the play is stuffed, but the RB has to see that the pulling guard, H-back or TE in motion is going to get to his spot to brush/crash into said defender, clearing the way for a good gain. Same with cutbacks.

What separates good and great RBs from average and bad RB, all with comparable physical traits, is their ability to quickly see and process what is happening around them, and reacting just as quickly. Instinct; wide peripheral sight range. Gurley obviously does not possess this, as demonstrated in the video and throughout the 2016 season. You know that, I know that, most others know that. Some don't apparently.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:52 PM, Iron-cock said:

Running backs can't teleport to where you think holes are while watching on TV.  

After the snap, the running back reads his offensive linemans hips, and sometimes helmets/the defenders leverage.  The hips of his linemen tell you where the block is going and dictate where the RB can run.  The RB can not run to where the OLine is blocking someone to, the defender will simply come off his block and tackle the RB. 

Equipped with this new knowledge rewatch those runs, look at the hips of the blockers...which ones did he read incorrectly?

On 7/7/2017 at 9:10 PM, Iron-cock said:

So here is one screenshot from the first play vs the Bucs.  The red T's are the way the lineman's hips are facing, which indicates the direction they're trying to push their man.  This is one of the main reads for a RB after the ball is snapped.

The arrow in the video points to a supposed hole that Gurley should run through on the right side of the defense that never opens up until the defense reacts to Gurley running to the defenses left.   In fact the right side of the defense had more defenders than the Rams could block.    The hole never opens unless the defense sees Gurley running to their left.  

AbSZE28.png

Bumped for ppl who didnt read the thread. 

The problem wasn't gurley's reads.... at least not the ones on that youtube video.  It was the OLine, crap playcalling and weak passing game. 

Will it get better this season?  We'll see.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thumbs down    Mods, can we get unlike buttons yet? 

Thats pretty much what I figured. That they had some vendetta or score to settle. I'm all for players having critics and naysayers because that's what creates discussion around here. But if you're gon

Posted Images

He needs to put up big numbers in week 1 or he is going to be very hard for me to start for the rest of the year. This is a cupcake matchup that will have positive gamescript which won't happen often for LA. 120 rushing and a TD plus receiving would instill a lot of confidence for the rest of the year.

22 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

66.3% of his rushing yards came after contact which was the highest in the league.

OL vastly improved.

Additions of Watkins, Kupp, Robert Woods - Goff is setup nicely to take the next step. This offense is going to surprise a lot of people.

Thats a nice little fact that you hope continues with better play.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:06 AM, dabeesta17 said:

Its not rocket science. I guess watching film on 278 carries and drawing conclusions isn't what it used to be. When Gurley turns in a 17/61/0 line in Week 1, there should be no surprise reaction at all. That is who he is. He literally looks like Trent Richardson running the ball, particularly that happy-feet dance he does on almost every play.

Good thing he got that TD because I gave him way too much credit. The Rams scored 46 points, and Gurley has 96 total yards on 24 touches. 19 straight games now without 100 yards rushing. Its Jeff Fisher's fault. Oh wait he's gone. Its the O-line's fault, Tavon Austin's fault and Georgia Frontiere from her grave's fault.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

Good thing he got that TD because I gave him way too much credit. The Rams scored 46 points, and Gurley has 96 total yards on 24 touches. 19 straight games now without 100 yards rushing. Its Jeff Fisher's fault. Oh wait he's gone. Its the O-line's fault, Tavon Austin's fault and Georgia Frontiere from her grave's fault.

Stay box score watching. Pathetic analysis.

Edited by MJJ28
4 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

giphy.gif

You predicted 61 yards and no tds. The dude got close to 100 and 1 td. He's not even playing the 4th quarter. 

Why isn't he playing the 4th quarter? Rams scored 46 pts with multiple defensive touchdowns. Lol. WTF. 

On 9/8/2017 at 10:32 PM, ZChronicNebula said:

66.3% of his rushing yards came after contact which was the highest in the league.

OL vastly improved.

Additions of Watkins, Kupp, Robert Woods - Goff is setup nicely to take the next step. This offense is going to surprise a lot of people.

Winner.

I saw the same thing as last year with him. Constantly getting stuffed. 

I am happy that he is on the field more and that the Rams offense as a whole looks way Better better than last year. I have doubts he will be as good as his rookie year but he should produce better fantasy points than last year. 

I think he will have a low floor but not high ceiling most weeks. Which isn't a bad thing in football. His receptions and being on the field more will be huge for his value. 

Like @BlueDevils22said he had runs called back, I remember one where the hold was on the left and he busted the run right and the announcers even said it wasn't a factor in the run. 5 catches on 6 targets is a good sign and this means little for fantasy but could be good for the future I recall 5 play action passes where the threat of Gurley got the LB's biting and on those 5 I remember Goff went 4-5 for roughly 80 ish yards.

4 hours ago, turner46 said:

5 catches on 6 targets is a good sign and this means little for fantasy but could be good for the future 

unless i'm taking your stream of consciousness outta context, 5/56 in the passing game is a cool 10 spot in PPR ... uhh, yeah, that kinda means a hell of a lot in fantasy B)

Hope ya'll listened to me. Rams are a different animal this year. No, this is not because they got 46 points yesterday, that won't happen every game. The Rams actually have an offensive identity now, and they are going to use Gurley in all different situations. Gurley doesn't need a huge regression in YPC because their game script will be a complete different story than last season's which will enable Gurley to have more opportunities. BTW, their schedule isn't so bad. 

Yesterday's game was actually a poor game script for Gurley, and he still had 1TD 5REC 96YDS. Imagine when he plays all 4 quarters and the game is closer? A 3-down back on a team with multiple weapons and a team that can keep the box score low? Sign me up.

I stayed away from Gurley because I didn't believe in Jared Goff.  Gurley's ability to read blocking downfield is what makes him great, but facing 8 man fronts neutralized that last year. Goff looked like a different player yesterday and that bodes well for TG.

1 minute ago, fjthegrey said:

Yeah. D's will stretch themselves out as they realise Goff can actually throw and they will be stung if they don't adapt.

The better Goff plays, the more space there will be for Gurley. It's science.

This man has it.

The defense didn't expect a competent Goff and got burned in the air. They sold out to stop the run, which gave Gurley some work coming out of the backfield. Teams will now have to scheme for both stopping the run and the pass against the Rams, which means money for Gurley. I'm expecting better numbers than he put up in his rookie season, as this is so far looking like the most competent offense he's had.

Looking some more at this game, I'm not as impressed as I initially was, but I think he's still going to be better than last year (how can he not be?).

YPC is abysmal.  But the fact that he is more involved in the passing game helps his PPR floor.  4-5 catches per week, 30-50 yards?  I'll take that.

Goff did look better, but the Colts looked really overmatched.  It's one game.  Let's see if they can keep this up against better opponents who also can actually score and apply more pressure on the Rams.

I watched the entire game and own Gurley, and personally felt like he looked a tad slow, especially around the edge. Same as last season. I mean the holes were bigger than Irma, but he just couldn't fly through them for some reason. Which is even more odd, that his rookie season, he was faster than grease lightning. I'm praying he can find that speed again still, because this passing offense is 5 times better than what he had to endure last season for sure. Him getting mixed into the passing schemes is a great thing to see however and he showed soft hands and for now that's good enough for me. But he could have easily REALLY exploded on this hapless Colts.defense considering he was involved on half the Ram's offensive plays.

Edited by MrPositive