NBC Sports Edge Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

23 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Todd Gurley will outscore this season:

Crowell, Fournette, Miller, Murray, Howard, Ajayi. 

Definitely not Ajayi or Fournette...

Can get onboard with the rest though.

Unless CROW turns it around in the next couple of weeks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thumbs down    Mods, can we get unlike buttons yet? 

Thats pretty much what I figured. That they had some vendetta or score to settle. I'm all for players having critics and naysayers because that's what creates discussion around here. But if you're gon

Posted Images

I'll echo those saying not to look at the box score for week one to judge Gurley's performance.  A couple holding calls brought back nice runs, blown blocking assignments on one play cost him 6 yards.  And the score of the game was deceptive as well.  The time of possession was 35/25 in favor of the Rams, which I think would be low for a 46/9 victory.  The two pix sixes acted to get Indy offense back on the field and to keep the Ram's offense off.  And the score actually hindered Gurley.  The Colt's D was cued on the run late in the game because they figured Rams were gonna run it out (which they really didn't).  And it got so out of hand the second string RB got two drives and the third string got one drive.

37 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Gurley was breaking tackles in game 1, people really need to stop with the ypc statistic as if it's the only relevant measure of a rb.

The biggest issue with YPC is with plays where the OL completely fails and there is no blocking and the RB gets negative yards for typically no fault of his own. If i am analyzing an RB's game i will typically take out all the negative gains completely. 

So for Gurley's week 1 breakdown:

End of game rushing stats: 

19 rushes for 40 yards 

There were 3 negative rushing attempts (total -13 yards):

(:36) (Shotgun) 30-T.Gurley left end to IND 42 for -3 yards (99-A.Woods).
(8:47) 30-T.Gurley up the middle to IND 28 for -6 yards (51-J.Simon).
(11:00) 30-T.Gurley left end ran ob at LA 28 for -4 yards (52-B.Mingo; 57-J.Bostic).

If you take these out, the end of game stats are a bit more respectable 16 rushing attempts for 53 yards. Still not that great but not completely abysmal and means that there is some work that needs to be done on the OL. 

And also the penalties were on 3 attempts and cost Gurley 38 yards , basically he could have had double the yards... ouch ... 

So while I agree that YPC is not the best way to evaluate an RB's profile, it is still a great way to see the overall health of the offense. Gurley himself doesnt seem like the biggest issue here but the OL issues definitely seem to still exist. And that is a downer for his fantasy profile.

The one silver lining here is the that Goff may actually be an NFL QB and if the offense moves, there will be opportunity for Gurley.

Edited by screaming_vultures

Anyone saying to not "worry about the YPC", you'll soon find out what the definition of "disappointment" is. 

The guy had like 5 really good games in his rookie season, and since then, has averaged close to 3.0 YPC ever since then...

If you're a Gurley owner, you're basically hoping that he gets into the end zone on a 1-2 yard carry.

I made this claim early last season, and all of the Gurley fanboys gave me crap about it. Low and behold, by week 7, they had pretty much all stopped posting.

It's still early in the season...but to see him get 19 carries in a game where they dropped 46 points on their opponent, and only run 40 yards on those 19 carries...

We'll see how he lands this year.

23 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Anyone saying to not "worry about the YPC", you'll soon find out what the definition of "disappointment" is. 

The guy had like 5 really good games in his rookie season, and since then, has averaged close to 3.0 YPC ever since then...

If you're a Gurley owner, you're basically hoping that he gets into the end zone on a 1-2 yard carry.

I made this claim early last season, and all of the Gurley fanboys gave me crap about it. Low and behold, by week 7, they had pretty much all stopped posting.

It's still early in the season...but to see him get 19 carries in a game where they dropped 46 points on their opponent, and only run 40 yards on those 19 carries...

We'll see how he lands this year.

Over the last 16 games Gurley has the 3rd lowest YPC ALL TIME in the NFL it worries me

23 minutes ago, HamMach1 said:

Gurley looked damn decent today. 

The use of him in the passing game is what will really make him valuable this year. I don't expect him to run wild on teams though. 

The only reason i took him as my rb1. You knew what his floor on carries was but we had no idea what he could do in the passing aspect of the new offense and now we are getting a taste,  2 back to back +20pt games in ppr!

His workload is IDEAL. If he gains confidence and the revamped o-line continues to gel.....he could very well stay in the mid range RB1 conversation all year. Goff at least commands SOME respect with a field stretcher like Sammy and Kupp owning the middle of the field and medium routes

6 minutes ago, ninjacookies said:

Back to back 20 point games. Points is the name of the game and y'all worried about YPC. 

I know right! A bunch of fantasy nerds talking about YPC as if they are real NFL coaches!

Talk about POINTS!!:D

What we knew going in to this season.

Pros: 1) Ton of volume 2) Goal line work 3) New offensive minded coach 4) New cast of skill players catching passes 5) Showed high end talent before in the NFL

Cons 1) Poor YPC in 2016