NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

I think the key to a tough schedule is a balanced offense.  Last year, LA did not have that (or any offense for that matter).  This year...I think they are mixing it up offensively...Goff is proving that loading the box against Gurley is not a viable strategy.  The addition of Sammy is proving to be a great add for the team.  

I think Gurley will weather the tough schedule with some solid stats.  When I say solid...I don't mean like last night...I mean the kind of stat line that may not win your matchup that week for you, but he won't be the reason you lose either.

Wow, didnt expect it to be this good. Damn do the Rams look like an entirely different team. They scored 41 points against a 49ers team that the Seahawks struggled to score 13 against at home. Gurley's pass catching abilities really give him a solid floor in ppr. Unless you get someone like Bell, Freeman, Zeke out of him, do not sell high. People will point to the horrible schedule he has after week 4, which is downright frightening at first glance, filled with tremendous run defenses, but It seems like that won't matter. A lot of these teams really won't cause that many game flow issues considering how bad they've looked offensively (cardinals (x2), jaguars, Houston, seahawks (x2), Giants, etc). Rams, on the other hand, have an impressive rookie head coach, a vastly improved sophomore quarterback, and a plethora of receiving talents like Watkins, Cupp, and Woods. More room to run now baby 

3 minutes ago, J Boogie said:

Wow, didnt expect it to be this good. Damn do the Rams look like an entirely different team. They scored 41 points against a 49ers team that the Seahawks struggled to score 13 against at home. Gurley's pass catching abilities really give him a solid floor in ppr. Unless you get someone like Bell, Freeman, Zeke out of him, do not sell high. People will point to the horrible schedule he has after week 4, which is downright frightening at first glance, filled with tremendous run defenses, but It seems like that won't matter. A lot of these teams really won't cause that many game flow issues considering how bad they've looked offensively (cardinals (x2), jaguars, Houston, seahawks (x2), Giants, etc). Rams, on the other hand, have an impressive rookie head coach, a vastly improved sophomore quarterback, and a plethora of receiving talents like Watkins, Cupp, and Woods. More room to run now baby 

A. Men.

I'm 2015 his rookie year Gurley had 11 runs of 20+ yards or more. Last year he only had 2 runs of 20+ yards or more. So far in only 3 games Gurley has 3 runs of 20+ yards or more and that's not including any catches that went for more than 20 yards. With how the offense has looked and as long as Goff can continue to improve and he should with the upgrades to the o line and wide receiver core, there should be no reason why Gurley can't get back to his 2015 stats with more catches. Especially where he was going in drafts he could help a lot of teams that went wr heavy early or any other team that decided to grab him in the 3rd or 4th round.

17 minutes ago, shakennbakee said:

I'm 2015 his rookie year Gurley had 11 runs of 20+ yards or more. Last year he only had 2 runs of 20+ yards or more. So far in only 3 games Gurley has 3 runs of 20+ yards or more and that's not including any catches that went for more than 20 yards. With how the offense has looked and as long as Goff can continue to improve and he should with the upgrades to the o line and wide receiver core, there should be no reason why Gurley can't get back to his 2015 stats with more catches. Especially where he was going in drafts he could help a lot of teams that went wr heavy early or any other team that decided to grab him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Where was he falling to the 4th round.......?

12 minutes ago, Conscious Pilot said:

Fell to me in the third. Nobody believed in him

12 team big $ league after 2nd preseason game. 

Freeman + this man in my backfiield. Hyde was taken before Gurley in my league.

Understandable due to such an awful season in 2016

Understandable that he fell, but Hyde over him is a little nutty.

Had real serious thought about taking him.  But did not get him in either draft because of my draft position.  Also, got bit by Trent Richardson years ago.

But people were taking an old man McCoy in the first round who hasn't been particularly good in years because he is the guy in Buffalo...because he had not challengers.  Then there is a young guy who had an off season last year, who also has zero challengers.  I would not say either are on good teams.  Why people would take McCoy over Gurley is beyond me.

I'm my league I took Bell in one league.  Gordon/Elliott in another.  Wish I could have taken Gurley.  He is going to be a top 5 player this season no doubt in my mind.  Probably better than Gordon.

just figured I'd stop in on this thread.  Argued for about 4 pages worth before the season started with several people that said Gurley "lacked the skills" to be an elite back.  Also said his targets would increase which would immediately increase value, and it has.  I've been wrong PLENTY in fantasy, but accusing TGIII of not having an elite, yes elite, skill set is just poor evaluation of talent.  Glad I targeted him everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Ddam2013 said:

People always complain about his YPC but they don't mention:

Freeman 3.9

Gurley 3.8

Gore 3.7

Miller 3.6

McCoy 3.5

Fournette 3.5

Zeke 3.4

Murray 3.3

Bell 3.2

Montgomery 3.1

McCaffery 2.7

Howard 2.7

Crowell 2.6

Gordon 2.5

But please let's keep hearing about how inefficient he is and the only reason he's doing this good is because of luck.

Also Tristian Cockcroft called him a barely RB1, I don't really agree with that

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0702862436641806290-4

This screams SSS

1 hour ago, bgar15 said:

Where was he falling to the 4th round.......?

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

must be an 8 or 10 team ppr league that drafted in June

1 hour ago, shakennbakee said:

I'm sure some 10 teamers he could have fallen to the early 4th. Personally I play in 12 team or higher and he went in the first in my keeper league which is technically the 3rd after selections.

I guess it all depends on your league size and settings.  In a fourteen team 1/2 point PPR  league where all the owners are from these forums he went in the first round this season:

https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/board/80835

Edited by Iron-cock

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

I had to grab Gurley in the second round (12 team, non-PPR). Mystified by all these peeps talking 3rd and 4th.

ditto, mid-second (PPR) for me, i left  the likes of DMurray/Coop/Cooks/Gronk/Thomas on the table. 

(Evans in 1st rd,  Hyde in 3rd)

?

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

1 minute ago, Ddam2013 said:

That makes sense and I agree but people were on here after week 1 proclaiming he was T-rich because of his YPC. Also it seems to me that YPC is down around the whole league minus Kareem Hunt and his astronomical YPC

Those people talk about YPC because they are not the receipients of Gurleys weekly  FP's (fantasy points). . .:lol: