NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

Someone took Gurley 3rd overall in my high stakes league once Le'Veon and DJ were off the board... He claimed he had Antonio Brown queued up but I'm starting to suspect he is some sort of fantasy football savant. 

12 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Someone took Gurley 3rd overall in my high stakes league once Le'Veon and DJ were off the board... He claimed he had Antonio Brown queued up but I'm starting to suspect he is some sort of fantasy football savant. 

Hey man, I thought we agreed that we would stick to the I meant to take AB story? :P

14 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

I heard a lot of people saying Gurley was a 3rd-4th round pick. Don't know what kind of baby leagues those are but all arrows pointed up. I grabbed him in round 2 (15th overall) after AJ Green in round 1. 

12 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Hey man, I thought we agreed that we would stick to the I meant to take AB story? :P

I'd say we have enough data now to safely conclude that McVay was what this offense needed to get it off the mat from the ridiculous condition it was last season.  McVay has turned Goff into a serious player too.

I won't name names, but if you peruse the early pages of this thread, you'll see lazy posts condemning Gurley (and Goff for that matter) simply because the Rams offense looked historically bad last season.  When reminded that nothing stays the same in the NFL and, by definition, FF, these posters just continued their declarations without any facts or analysis beyond last season's track record.  The reality was that there had been a very significant regime change in LA, such that anyone wanting to properly evaluate Gurley needed to make a call on whether the new regime was more likely than not to improve things.  We all knew Gurley would have the backfield to himself, so an improved offense most likely meant improved numbers for Gurley.

Congratulations to all the folks who decided that McVay would likely improve this team's offense.  That is the sort of common sense thinking that pays dividends.    

5 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I'd say we have enough data now to safely conclude that McVay was what this offense needed to get it off the mat from the ridiculous condition it was last season.  McVay has turned Goff into a serious player too.

I won't name names, but if you peruse the early pages of this thread, you'll see lazy posts condemning Gurley (and Goff for that matter) simply because the Rams offense looked historically bad last season.  When reminded that nothing stays the same in the NFL and, by definition, FF, these posters just continued their declarations without any facts or analysis beyond last season's track record.  The reality was that there had been a very significant regime change in LA, such that anyone wanting to properly evaluate Gurley needed to make a call on whether the new regime was more likely than not to improve things.  We all knew Gurley would have the backfield to himself, so an improved offense most likely meant improved numbers for Gurley.

Congratulations to all the folks who decided that McVay would likely improve this team's offense.  That is the sort of common sense thinking that pays dividends.    

Good post.

People don't understand the repercussions/benefits that come from coaching changes. 

Bengals fire OC, looks like a brand new team.

Rams fire coach, looks like a brand new team.

Bills changed coaches last year, looked like a brand new team.

Just now, oliminator123 said:

Good post.

People don't understand the repercussions/benefits that come from coaching changes. 

Of course, it can always go the other way (Jim Tomsula anyone?), but the point is that coaching changes need to be analyzed before players are assigned values going forward.  With Gurley, that factor was HUGE given how historically bad Fisher's offense was. 

We all could learn how not to approach player evaluation by noting the many "Gurley-will-bust-because-the-Rams-always-suck" posts that litter the early pages of this thread.           

2 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

Good post.

The coaching change was a huge help.  They also added a very good left tackle and made huge upgrades at WR.   Woods and Watkins are 100x more talented than Britt at this stage in his career.  The change in the scheme with the coaching and the upgrades in the passing game turned things around.

3 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Going in to the fantasy drafts, everyone was looking for their favorite 3rd-4th round RBs and those that liked Gurley were arguing that the coaching change was going to fix everything.  So now that things are going well, the Gurley owners are patting themselves on the back and saying, "You see!  I knew it!  Coaching fixed everything!".  The fact of the matter is that if Goff were still playing the way he did last year, the Patriots coaching staff could have taken over and Gurley would still be a flex level RB just like he was last year.

The problem last year was that Goff was horrendous.  Every team put 8 players in the box, stopped Gurley and said "beat us throwing".  Goff could not make them pay.

This year Goff has the 2nd highest passer rating in the league.  He's just playing a lot better.  Teams have to play him honestly and Gurley is playing against a normal defense.  With the number of times Gurley's getting the ball and the fact that he's a talented player, he's producing like a top RB.

You weren't right, but you were lucky.  Count your blessings.

5 minutes ago, jspeed said:

Going in to the fantasy drafts, everyone was looking for their favorite 3rd-4th round RBs and those that liked Gurley were arguing that the coaching change was going to fix everything.  So now that things are going well, the Gurley owners are patting themselves on the back and saying, "You see!  I knew it!  Coaching fixed everything!".  The fact of the matter is that if Goff were still playing the way he did last year, the Patriots coaching staff could have taken over and Gurley would still be a flex level RB just like he was last year.

The problem last year was that Goff was horrendous.  Every team put 8 players in the box, stopped Gurley and said "beat us throwing".  Goff could not make them pay.

This year Goff has the 2nd highest passer rating in the league.  He's just playing a lot better.  Teams have to play him honestly and Gurley is playing against a normal defense.  With the number of times Gurley's getting the ball and the fact that he's a talented player, he's producing like a top RB.

Gee whiz pa! it's almost like all the changes made by the new coaching staff helped enable a young talent. Ah wibity wibity wowzers I think we're on to something! 

Image result for facepalm gif

Edited by JSA2422

11 minutes ago, jspeed said:

Is that what you tell yourself?  You weren't wrong, just unlucky?

5 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

I heard a lot of people saying Gurley was a 3rd-4th round pick. Don't know what kind of baby leagues those are but all arrows pointed up. I grabbed him in round 2 (15th overall) after AJ Green in round 1. 

I drafted Gurley (Round 2 - Pick 21) after picking up AB in the first round

1 hour ago, jspeed said:

Yes McVay is the reason Goff is playing better but he's also the reason why the rams no longer look like your local middle school football team. He brought a real offense and all players in the system are benefiting, not just Goff and Gurley. I don't understand how it's lucky that we evaluated all aspects of the Rams and made a decision that Gurley was going to be better than last season and drafted him.

3 hours ago, jspeed said:

LOL!!!

Naw... I was right from the beginning.

14 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

LOL!!!

Naw... I was right from the beginning.

You certainly were. I thought he'd be a low-end RB1, but never though he'd have the ceiling he does. Good thing Dunbar got hurt to show McVay how dumb he was to sign him in the first place when Gurley could do all the receiving work as well. 

3 hours ago, daguyondacouch said:

Is that what you tell yourself?  You weren't wrong, just unlucky?

I have Gurley and loving every minute of it, but if you think there isn't a lot luck in fantasy you are either lying to yourself, or full of s---.

There is a ton of luck involved in this crazy sport, and as much as you want to pat yourself on the back thinking it's all skill, its not. Majority of folks got lucky with Gurley and would have signed up for and locked in1600 total yds and 8 td's at the price they paid for this guy.

I don't believe anyone for a second they knew this was coming and again I have the guy on my team. I saw signs but calling complete BS if you think you think for second you aren't lucky.

7 minutes ago, roadawg said:

I have Gurley and loving every minute of it, but if you think there isn't a lot luck in fantasy you are either lying to yourself, or full of s---.

There is a ton of luck involved in this crazy sport, and as much as you want to pat yourself on the back thinking it's all skill, its not. Majority of folks got lucky with Gurley and would have signed up for and locked in1600 total yds and 8 td's at the price they paid for this guy.

I don't believe anyone for a second they knew this was coming and again I have the guy on my team. I saw signs but calling complete BS if you think you think for second you aren't lucky.

I wasn't lucky I knew what I was doing when I drafted Gurley because I'M AWESOME AT FANTASY!!!!   B)

Edited by dashoe