NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

i have a speculation Goff makes a massive leap as QB next year and you are going to see more passing and less running. You can already see the kid has a gunslingers demeanor. Gurley may produce less but he will have less wear and tear on his body over the season.

12 minutes ago, affliction said:

I'll spend all of next offseason trying to guess who will bounce back like Gurley. My early guess is Ajayi once Blount signs somewhere else. 

Good question. You should make a thread for this. Figuring this out will lead to a lot of value in drafts and ultimately championships. I live trying to solve this puzzle every year. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt.

He was the man yesterday, unfortunately the Pats screwed me a bit last year and this week was just for "what could of been" frustration.   In our scoring system, he, Bell and Brown are the only 3 in the top 12 overall scorers, he tops those 3 at No.5 overall and 7th in average points per week.  Its a .75PPR set up.  I liked him on a bounceback going into the year, he was pretty pricey still in one of my auction leagues so only got him in one league and had to trade for him there. 

I will be targeting him big time next year in auctions. 

Honestly for me next year I think with some of the suspension issues of Bell and Zeke that he might be the best back anyway, but certainly is the safest. 

On 12/12/2017 at 11:56 AM, devaster said:

Wow was I wrong about Gurley turning into TRich 2.0. His 2016 season was definitely trending in that direction, but chalk it up to Fisher's inadequacies. Look at Goff, Keenum, and possibly Foles this season. He is more efficient this year than his rookie season and having a much better season than his rookie. McVay really knows how to get the best out of his offensive players. Goff and the entire offense runs through Gurley. Once that play-action gets going, Goff gets going.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-rb-todd-gurley-is-better-than-ever

I do wonder if he looks better than he really is due to McVay's scheme, but as long as that scheme continues to work it doesn't matter. McVay is doing a fantastic job and his plays are responding. The simple fact is his 2016 season wasn't really a good indicator for his talent and was a result of terrible coaching.

Gurley was the consensus best running back in football the year he came out.  He was rated the fifth best running back in his recruiting class after high school.  He's been a superstar up until the Rams switched offensive coordinators in the middle  of 2015.

McVay running a successful offense obviously helps, but the reality is Gurley has always been successful except a brief period of 2015 and 2016.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:00 PM, Iron-cock said:

I don't think the earlier game vs Seattle was an outlier.   Seattle held the Rams to 10 points in that game, they just held the Eagles to 10 points even with the injuries on their defense.  Those are statistically two of the best offenses in the NFL.   If you look at Seattle's schedule, the only teams they've allowed to score over 20 points were Houston, Tennessee, Atlanta.   

So yeah, as a Gurley owner, week 15 scares me a bit.  Not enough to bench him, but it's a bad matchup.  

On 12/6/2017 at 3:07 PM, oliminator123 said:

It's the playoffs, my friend. I may consider starting Latavius Murray in his place if it really seems like it's going to be that bad of a matchup. They're @ Seattle as well which doesn't help.

I hope you didn't do that.  Fortunately the only person I benched from that game was Russell Wilson.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, Rolling Thunder said:

Not so.  If you go back and look at Gurley's 2016 numbers, it was easy to see that he would be a worthy 2nd round pick if two things happened.  First, his usage in the pass game had to equal or exceed his 2016 increase in that regard.  Second, McVay needed to make Goff serviceable and implement a reasonable offense (the 2016 offense was historically bad).  Both were reasonable bets. 

The fact that Gurley has surpassed his 2nd round value is just icing on the cake.  Improvement though, was not all that difficult to predict pre-draft, if you were a believer in his talent, which IMO, was documented well enough.

His statistics the latter half of 2015 weren't even very good which was a warning sign for 2016.  It continued into the 2016 season.  Goff looked like a total bust.  NOBODY saw this coming.... if they had he'd had gone first round.

14 minutes ago, Dawgpound1985 said:

His statistics the latter half of 2015 weren't even very good which was a warning sign for 2016.  It continued into the 2016 season.  Goff looked like a total bust.  NOBODY saw this coming.... if they had he'd had gone first round.

Not sure what your definition of "even very good" is, but in the PPR league I played in, his last 3 games of 2015 were 27.7, 15.9 and 16.2, respectively.  Pretty good in my book.  

Lots of folks who studied Gurley's 2015 and 2016 saw that he would be a fine 2nd round pick if McVay corrected the Ram's historically bad offense of 2016.  That quality analysis has been rewarded by Gurley exceeding expectations.  But that is what successful evaluation is all about.  Identifying players who are solid values where they are drafted, but who have upside as well.  

23 minutes ago, Dawgpound1985 said:

Considering Gurley was my rb1 I predicted he would crush it with a new coach and an improved  2nd year QB. I looked at the situation of a completely new regime, the offseason activity and I never thought Goff was a bad QB, he was in a bad offense.  it was always assumed he would continue to get volume as the workhorse rb and his talent was never a question in my mind. Same view  and process I used with Carlos hyde who was taken as my rb2

Edited by dashoe

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Considering Gurley was my rb1 I predicted he would crush it with a new coach and an improved  2nd year QB. I looked at the situation of a completely new regime, the offseason activity and I never thought Goff was a bad QB, he was in a bad offense.  it was always assumed he would continue to get volume as the workhorse rb and his talent was never a question in my mind. Same view  and process I used with Carlos hyde who was taken as my rb2

Of course, the fact that Gurley would have absolute no competition for touches in 2017 was a huge positive.  Going into 2017, there were so few RBs in the league that you could say had their backfields all to themselves, including pass downs and GL. 

The other big positive was that he showed in 2016 that he could be used effectively in the pass game.  So many folks refused to consider what a boost that would give him in PPR, especially with someone as offensively competent as McVay.  

On 12/18/2017 at 10:39 AM, dashoe said:

i have a speculation Goff makes a massive leap as QB next year and you are going to see more passing and less running. You can already see the kid has a gunslingers demeanor. Gurley may produce less but he will have less wear and tear on his body over the season.

they already pass a ton, the coaches were saying last week they need to run more

I hate to rain on Gurley parade, but TEN is a top three defense against the run. They may get beat, but they are not going to let TG3 beat them. Don't expect the same tomlinsonesque numbers he put up against an orphan Seattle D. TEN will make a stand and dare Goff beat them.

15 minutes ago, Greenpack said:

I hate to rain on Gurley parade, but TEN is a top three defense against the run. They may get beat, but they are not going to let TG3 beat them. Don't expect the same tomlinsonesque numbers he put up against an orphan Seattle D. TEN will make a stand and dare Goff beat them.

:wacko:

He just hung 25 on Philly on 16 touches. 

29 minutes ago, Greenpack said:

Gurley will emasculate them on dumpoffs in the flats then.  That's the thing abt Gurley.  He gets his.

6 hours ago, Greenpack said:

Well we can tell who doesn't own gurley here 

4 hours ago, Chargers88 said:

Playing against Gurley I know he will get his usual 20-30 point game, I’m just praying  he doesn’t get 45 and 4 touchdowns again 

his usual?

i think u are in good position. rams are on the road in a hostile tennesse environment. 

i am guessing gurley will finish with 17 touches with 3 receptions for 80  total yards and no td..

i am playing against him this week.