NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. As you can see right above us in that graph, Gurley is going to blast past Johnson this coming week in fantasy points at least. And Palmer threw for over 4000 yards last year with double the TD's, so I don't see how he was 'garbage'. And Matt Ryan went berserk last season, there isn't that guy at QB this year. Wentz would have been....And I definitely don't think the Rams have a winning season without Gurely. He literally beat the Seahawks in Seattle without even needing the QB. lol

Palmer had a 87 qb rating last season. Which isnt bad historically, but in today's league, an 87 passer rating is good for 21st or 20th in the league. So that's not all that good.

And I do think the Rams end up with a winning record even without Gurley. Pick up the best LT in the game not named Joe Thomas, hire the best DC in the league to take over an already top 10 unit, and Sean McVay does his magic. 

20 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Palmer had a 87 qb rating last season. Which isnt bad historically, but in today's league, an 87 passer rating is good for 21st or 20th in the league. So that's not all that good.

And I do think the Rams end up with a winning record even without Gurley. Pick up the best LT in the game not named Joe Thomas, hire the best DC in the league to take over an already top 10 unit, and Sean McVay does his magic. 

Unless Gurley flops in the final game and Brady throws for 5 TD's, I think you are going to have to get over it, because Gurley is going to get it. If he has another game like this week, he's going to have the best fantasy ppr RB stats in 20 years, hell maybe ever. Shrug

Brady dropped off heavily

Wilson fell apart these last 3 games

Smith had a awful run midseason

Rothlisberger lost the two biggest games of their season, and threw 5 picks in 1

Wentz got hurt

Watson got hurt

None of these guys are going to get it...

5 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Unless Gurley flops in the final game and Brady throws for 5 TD's, I think you are going to have to get over it, because Gurley is going to get it. If he has another game like this week, he's going to have the best fantasy ppr RB stats in 20 years, hell maybe ever. Shrug

Brady dropped off heavily

Wilson fell apart these last 3 games

Smith had a awful run midseason

Rothlisberger lost the two biggest games of their season, and threw 5 picks in 1

Wentz got hurt

Watson got hurt

None of these guys are going to get it...

I agree with all of that. And I do think that Smith will not get the award. I'm just saying, if it was any other name attached to Smith's 2017 stats, people would get on the mvp bandwagon for that player. It's just that it's Alex Smith, and people just dont want to give him the mvp vote, even with the mid season slump. Put Roethlisberger's name next to Smith's numbers and people would be calling Big Ben the favorite

Edited by Chippa

14 minutes ago, Chippa said:

I agree with all of that. And I do think that Smith will not get the award. I'm just saying, if it was any other name attached to Smith's 2017 stats, people would get on the mvp bandwagon for that player. It's just that it's Alex Smith, and people just dont want to give him the mvp vote, even with the mid season slump. Put Roethlisberger's name next to Smith's numbers and people would be calling Big Ben the favorite

The problem isnt the Alex Smith name because the media was hyping him up  when KC was 5-0. The problem is that KC lost 6 out of 7 games after starting hot. That was a complete meltdown and Smith was thrown under the bus with the media pushing for mahonnes to replace him. 

You can't survive that type of negative sentiment and expect to be in the MVP conversation. Better to lose the first few games and then finish hot than start hot then collapse, especially when you play for a franchise associated with great expectations that end in consistent failures every season. The best stats don't get you the MVP you need the media hype that you are carrying the team on your houlders and winning games by sheer will and talent

Edited by dashoe

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The problem isnt the Alex Smith name because the media was hyping him up  when KC was 5-0. The problem is that KC lost 6 out of 7 games after starting hot. That was a complete meltdown and Smith was thrown under the bus with the media pushing for mahonnes to replace him. 

You can't survive that type of negative sentiment and expect to be in the MVP conversation. Better to lose the first few games and then finish hot than start hot then collapse, especially when you play for a franchise associated with great expectations that end in consistent failures every season. The best stats don't get you the MVP you need the media hype that you are carrying the team on your houlders and winning games by sheer will and talent

but he has bounced back. He was hot the first 5 games. The next 6, the run game stalled, and Smith fell with it. Now Smith has bounced back. 

Anyways, I agree that he will not win it. But Smith and the Chiefs will never get a fair shake from the mainstream coastal media. 

Edited by Chippa

17 minutes ago, Chippa said:

but he has bounced back. He was hot the first 5 games. The next 6, the run game stalled, and Smith fell with it. Now Smith has bounced back. 

Anyways, I agree that he will not win it. But Smith and the Chiefs will never get a fair shake from the mainstream coastal media. 

Smith had a great overall season, probably the best in the NFL that played the entire season (and I honestly don't know how he suddenly did it), but losing 6 of 7, including to both New York teams! and Oakland...that just isn't going to win the MVP regardless of media bias or not against KC. Just my opinion...

As well, its time RB's got their just due. They almost never win the MVP sadly. And these past years, we've had a new resurgence of freak child RB's come into the game that are even more dynamic than we've ever seen before. I mean Kamara was lining up as a receiver multiple times yesterday. This is a new breed and they are leading their teams to the playoffs...

Edited by MrPositive

2 minutes ago, Chippa said:

In all fairness i can't think of any MVP winner or even candidate who lost 6 of 7  games after having the best record in the league with both fans and media pushing to have him replaced by a rookie.  That's not bias, that's just not being MVP caliber. You need the stats + the wins; especially when you are surrounded with legit weapons 

Just now, dashoe said:

In all fairness i can't think of any MVP winner or even candidate who lost 6 of 7  games after having the best record in the league with both fans and media pushing to have him replaced by a rookie.  That's not bias, that's just not being MVP caliber. You need the stats + the wins; especially when you are surrounded with legit weapons 

he has the stats, and the team won their division. So he has both of your requirements. If KC wins next week, Smith will have 10 wins on the year. Ryan won mvp last year with 11. And Matt Ryan had better weapoms

Tyreek, Kelce, and Hunt are legit, yes. That's about it. And with Tyreek, he's more of a weapon than a receiver. Smith has never had the luxury to play  with a great receiver

5 minutes ago, Chippa said:

he has the stats, and the team won their division. So he has both of your requirements. If KC wins next week, Smith will have 10 wins on the year. Ryan won mvp last year with 11. And Matt Ryan had better weapoms

Tyreek, Kelce, and Hunt are legit, yes. That's about it. And with Tyreek, he's more of a weapon than a receiver. Smith has never had the luxury to play  with a great receiver

I think Smith had better overall weapons haha I can't even name the trio of turd tight ends Ryan had to play with last season. Kelce is legit a top 3 tight end period. And Tyreek is a real freak, who I will be massively targeting in the draft next season.

Edited by MrPositive

Waiting for Tyreek's chance to play with a great QB, that toss into triple coverage woulda been a hot TD if he was lead..but he had to readjust and win the contested ball vs 3 defenders 

Just now, MrPositive said:

I think Smith had better weapons haha I can't even name the trio of turd tight ends Ryan had to play with last season. Kelce is legit a top 3 tight end period. And Tyreek is a real freak, who I will be massively targeting in the draft next season.

so just because Smith has better tight ends, that means have better weapons than Atlanta in 2016? are you forgetting Julio and Sanu? You could argue that julio is the best wr in the league. And Freeman and Coleman are the best rb duo in the league. They're 2 fantastic backs that also have great hands. 

3 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Waiting for Tyreek's chance to play with a great QB, that toss into triple coverage woulda been a hot TD if he was lead..but he had to readjust and win the contested ball vs 3 defenders 

you have Gurley as your profil pic, so of course you're gonna dump on Smith and say that Tyreek needs a better qb lmao

Edited by Chippa

3 minutes ago, Chippa said:

so just because Smith has better tight ends, that means have better weapons than Atlanta in 2016? are you forgetting Julio and Sanu? You could argue that julio is the best wr in the league. And Freeman and Coleman are the best rb duo in the league. They're 2 fantastic backs that also have great hands. 

Ya, that's what I'm arguing haha Ryan had some awful tight ends to play with, hell every week Rotoworld was recommending a new one to try and stream last year. Julio is one of the top 3 for certain, but Tyreek aint far behind, and honestly that dude could be targeted a LOT more. His quickness is like something out of a video game. I've never seen a play like that one where the defense were playing prevent for Dallas and still nobody could touch him. And Hunt's season was also wonderful. I'll take Smith's overall weapons. Shrug

Edited by MrPositive

you have Gurley as your profil pic, so of course you're gonna dump on Smith and say that Tyreek needs a better qb lmao

You're in the Gurley thread arguing for Alex Smith while also claiming Tyreek Hill is not a great receiver. Smith is rolling with top 5 position players lol. 

Just now, MrPositive said:

Ya, that's what I'm arguing haha Ryan had some awful tight ends to play with, hell every week Rotoworld was recommending a new one to try and stream last year. Julio is one of the top 3 for certain, but Tyreek aint far behind, and honestly that dude could be targeted a LOT more. His quickness is like something out of a video game. I've ever seen a play like that one where the defense were playing prevent for Dallas and still nobody could touch him. And Hunt's season was also wonderful. I'll take Smith's overall weapons. Shrug

yeah, he is. Not that he's bad. But I'm not sure Tyreek is even top 10. Top 15 for sure

I think ou're the only person here who would take the chiefs 2017 weapons over the falcons 2016 weapons. There's more to an offense than just tight ends. Falcons have the better wr core and a better rb duo. Freeman isnt that far behind Hill. Some would say  freeman is better

7 minutes ago, Chippa said:

yeah, he is. Not that he's bad. But I'm not sure Tyreek is even top 10. Top 15 for sure

I think ou're the only person here who would take the chiefs 2017 weapons over the falcons 2016 weapons. There's more to an offense than just tight ends. Falcons have the better wr core and a better rb duo. Freeman isnt that far behind Hill. Some would say  freeman is better

I don't think I'm the only one, And Tyreek is top 10 easily for me. Hell he sits at number 5 for WR's in fantasy points in both my leagues, and that's with him being undertargeted in my opinion. The dude is a level of quickness I don't think I've seen before, other than maybe Kamara right now. And a top 3 tight end, gives you a myriad of more opportunities to be successful as a QB. Regardless, Gurley is winning that MVP and deserves it :)

Edited by MrPositive

Just now, JSA2422 said:

You're in the Gurley thread arguing for Alex Smith while also claiming Tyreek Hill is not a great receiver. Smith is rolling with top 5 position players lol. 

Tyreek Hill is a very good receiver. I just think he's more of a weapon, than a receiver. You understand? Brown's a receiver, Julio's a receiver, Keenan Allen's a receiver, Aj green is a receiver, Dez is a receiver, Thielen is a receiver. Tyreek is in that Desean Jackson category for me. An elite weapon, and a very good receiver. Tyreek is obviously way better than JAckson nowadays lol. I'll be happy to grb him in my draft next season

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

I don't think I'm the only one, And Hunt is top 10 easily for me. Hell he sits at number 5 in fantasy points in both my leagues, and that's with him being undertargeted in my opinion. The dude is a level of quickness I don't think I've seen before, other than maybe Kamara right now. And a top 3 tight end, gives you a myriad of more opportunities to be successful as a QB. Regardless, Gurley is winning that MVP :)

agreed. this is something I never disagreed with.

23 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Alex Smith just doesn't deserve it over Gurley. No way else to spin it man...

1 hour ago, Chippa said:

I think you are kind of missing the point it doesnt matter if he finishes the season with 10 wins or Matt Ryan  won it with 11 wins last season.

The KC chiefs lost 6 out of 7 games in a stretch. The stats are irrelevant at that point because Alex Smith did nothing to stop the losing streak. he didnt put the team on his shoulders. he performed terribly.  You can't be considered as an MVP with a mid season losing streak like that. Sure you can lose 5 or 6 contested games over the entire season to playoff bound opponents  but they lost to  Oak-Dal-Den-Buf-NYG-NYJ.

Sorry man but you can't be an MVP QB and lose to those teams all  except 2 of them with losing records and none making the playoffs (Buf has a slim shot)

You can't even be in the conversation of MVP

Edited by dashoe

The only QB who should even remotely be considered MVP over Gurley is Russell Wilson, as he basically was the only offensive factor for that entire team. But given where their respective teams are right now, it’s still Gurley by a landslide imo.

Edited by lolcopter