Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook


FlashGordon401
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, bgar15 said:

 

What kind of comment is that? No sh*%!!!! Because they've been the only starters these past 20+ years.

 

The point was that when given the opportunity, Patriot backup QBs have fared just fine (Cassel, Jimmy G, etc.)

 

The kind of comment that is called STATING THE OBVIOUS same as you did.  The point is no NE QB that has left the belicheck system has been anything more than mediocre. None of them turned into stars or SB champs. Now we wait and see what Brisset and JimmyG will become. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

If 2016 Goff was playing with Gurley right now does he have those receiving yards this year? 

 

We can go back and forth all day with well if gurley didn't have goff and if Brady didn't have gronk or cooks, etc.

 

Bottom line the guy to me that had the most profound impact this season has been gurley. He has put this team on his back many times even while being the focal point of the defenses he's faced.

 

This is something qbs don't have to deal with. Teams don't scheme and game plan to shut down a qb because they know it's not a viable option. They pick the weapon to focus on, forcing him to go elsewhere. Gurley had no such option. He's either gonna succumb to their attention or overcome it, and more times then not he rose to the occasion this year.

 

Also gotta take into account when he's done his best work. After losing to minny the rams were sitting 7-3 with the playoffs in question and a very tough upcoming schedule. 

 

They won 4 of the next 5 (should have been 5 if not for the blow up against philly) and gurley was good/great in all 5 of those games.

 

The pats had a playoff spot locked up before the season started in that division. They botched chance to be in the Drivers seat for HF against Miami, and then needed everything to break right in Pittsburgh to escape with a win. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the award is for most valuable, as in if you took this player off the team at the start of the season what would be their record change the MVP is Wilson. 

 

However, you and I both know the MVP is not Wilson because more goes into it than just that. There's overall dominance, wins, and others. So take your pick. It's either who is the most valuable or a combination of everything. If you want to argue for just pure value the Seahawks minus Wilson are the Giants if the Patriots went with Jimmy G they would probably have a better record. 

 

The reality is Brady is not MVP from any angle. His season wasn't the most dominant nor does he mean the most to his team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

Seems like people are getting too theoretical with the most valuable player nonsense when it takes 11 guys playing in unison to win games. So you can argue that the QB is the most valuable today simply because the NFL is pass heavy vs run heavy. I could also debate that from the moment the game was created to this very day the mvp is the best o-line player on the team who opens the hole or gives the QB the time he needs to make a decision because the game is won or lost in the trenches. There is a reason why every NFL QB and rb takes their o-line out to dinners and buys them gifts every year. 

Lineman don't get the glory nor are the made into household names. QB's are photogenic pretty boys and sell lots of tickets.

 

So all of that is to say Gurley should be the MVP not Brady. Every QB is valuable to their team but not every team has their offensive production highly dependent upon a rb

 

The problem with that is we have seen great QBs without stellar offensive lines. Aaron Rodgers comes to mind. QBs also make it easier for o-lineman by making the right audibles and changing into the right plays.

 

Bottom line is a QB has the biggest impact on the game and the most important player on the field. Take the 49ers they go from one of the worse teams in the league to beating a top dog in the NFL with Jimmy G and haven't lost a game since he took over.

 

I realize I'm in the minority as I am in the Todd Gurley thread, but it's just my view point.

 

I'm actually not even on the Brady bandwagon. Actually if I had to pick a player I'd take Russel Wilson this year. I realize he doesn't have the flashy stats compared to the competition but without him they are nothing this year considering their defensive injuries and lack of running game and O-line.

 

 

Edited by Dirtywater97
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, the argument that in order for Gurley to have good receiving stats he has to have a good QB thus he is not MVP is the most absurd argument ever.

 

In order for a QB to have good throwing yards he has to have WRs that could get open and make catches. Thus, Gronk is MVP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

The problem with that is we have seen great QBs without stellar offensive lines. Aaron Rodgers comes to mind. QBs also make it easier for o-lineman by making the right audibles and changing into the right plays.

 

Bottom line is a QB has the biggest impact on the game and the most important player on the field. Take the 49ers they go from one of the worse teams in the league to beating a top dog in the NFL with Jimmy G and haven't lost a game since he took over.

 

I realize I'm in the minority as I am in the Todd Gurley thread, but it's just my view point.

 

I'm actually not even on the Brady bandwagon. Actually if I had to pick a player I'd take Russel Wilson this year. I realize he doesn't have the flashy stats compared to the competition but without him they are nothing this year considering their defensive injuries and lack of running game and O-line.

 

 

 

We have also seen teams win playoff games and SB's in the modern game with avg game manager QB's because they had dominant defenses and solid running games. 

Still doesnt take away the fact that the Rams offense revolves around Gurley touching the ball and producing via carries and catches.  They are not winnng games because Goff is slinging the ball around , punishing defenses and winning games with his arm, at least not this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

If the award is for most valuable, as in if you took this player off the team at the start of the season what would be their record change the MVP is Wilson. 

 

However, you and I both know the MVP is not Wilson because more goes into it than just that. There's overall dominance, wins, and others. So take your pick. It's either who is the most valuable or a combination of everything. If you want to argue for just pure value the Seahawks minus Wilson are the Giants if the Patriots went with Jimmy G they would probably have a better record. 

 

The reality is Brady is not MVP from any angle. His season wasn't the most dominant nor does he mean the most to his team.

We shall see ....Well gee let’s hope the actual voters see your ANGLE when they do vote for the MVP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

We shall see ....Well gee let’s hope the actual voters see your ANGLE when they do vote for the MVP. 

 

Yeah, hopefully voters will vote with logic instead of "Who is the bigger name". You know, base your pick on facts rather than feelings.

Edited by ponza88
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ponza88 said:

 

Yeah, hopefully voters will vote with logic instead of "Who is the bigger name". You know, base your pick on facts rather than feelings.

 

Gurley had 1 storyline entering the season

1. Is he really a bust

 

Brady had 3 storylines entering the season.

 

1. Defend SB title

2.  2017 undefeated season

3.Brady is age defying QB freak at 40

 

 

Gurley proved his critics wrong.

 

Brady failed  #2 the  1st game of the season with loss to KC so now the media is hyping up his age and returning to the super bowl and of course getting the MVP award. Fact is Tom Brady winning the MVP makes alot of people money in both the NFL and the media. Every additional award and recognition and record adds to his iconic status of GOAT  for those who want to believe he is the GOAT (i'm not one of the Brady Cabana Boy members).

 

It's all perception. Gurley is just some young thug rb with dreadlocks no different than all of the other dime a dozen thug looking/acting rb's. Brady looks like a male model, has a hot super model wife with more money than him and lives the perfect life. So if you are one of the 50 sportwriters (probably middle aged married  with kids living in a suburb)who get to vote, which guy are you cheering for? The 40yr old winning QB who you wish you could be or the 20something kid you can't even identify with?

 

He probably will get the MVP because people like voting for the guy they believe is a winner in life or the ultimate underdog.  Brady is both because he wins and he is doing it in a sport where old guys over 30 fail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

 

Who said anything about the "Game Changing" in THIS thread?

 

When does a Running Back score almost 20 TD's whilst also having over 2,000 scrimmage yards and is always the catalyst for his teams wins / losses? The corner-stone of the offensive production?

Why is that less valuable? It's essentially the same logic. The Player who was the biggest reason for the teams success. Which usually *IS* the QB... but not in the system designed around their star player, Gurley.

 

Come on... You take Gurley out of the Rams, the Rams go back to being sub .500 team.

 

Gurley also had a better season with a bigger turn around, on a team that was historically bad last year. 

The Script, the Story is more marketable with Gurley than it is Brady. You even have fans of Brady's team saying he isn't the MVP.

That's just wrong. They'd still be a good team. Excellent defense, excellent offensive line, good coach that has transformed Goff into a competent qb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Chippa said:

That's just wrong. They'd still be a good team. Excellent defense, excellent offensive line, good coach that has transformed Goff into a competent qb.


Uh... no it's not? I've been watching Rams games all year, all last year to tell you he's the focal point and it would be a huge void if he wasn't there.

Defenses would dare Goff to throw by Blitz and the coverage the receivers get would become MUCH TIGHTER... It's absurd to think that if Gurley wasn't there, this team would still be great... and I'm a Rams fan.

 

Gurley has put this team on his back on multiple weeks.

 

The Seattle Game would he been much different if Gurley didn't score so many TD's

 

The Playoff Race would have been much tighter 

The Rams wouldn't be fighting for a playoff spot and hoping the dominoes fall in their order.

Edited by ponza88
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ponza88 said:


Uh... no it's not? I've been watching Rams games all year, all last year to tell you he's the focal point and it would be a huge void if he wasn't there.

Defenses would dare Goff to throw... It's absurd to think that if Gurley wasn't there, this team would still be great... and I'm a Rams fan.

 

Gurley has put this team on his back on multiple weeks.

 

The Seattle Game would he been much different if Gurley didn't score so many TD's

sure, there have been games that Gurley has taken over and won for LA, but that doesnt mean that without him, the Rams would be sub 500. Would the Rams be 11-4? Of course not, but at worst, they'd finish 9-7 without him. The overall team is too good. Best DC in the league, and a head coach that knows what he's doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Chippa said:

That's just wrong. They'd still be a good team. Excellent defense, excellent offensive line, good coach that has transformed Goff into a competent qb.

They would be a .500 team or worse without Gurley. Gurley completely transforms that team in the way Zeke does for Dallas. It opens everything up for Goff and the play-action. They control time of possession and limit their defense being on the field. Their defense is fresh.

 

Gurley and the coaching is what has Goff looking like a competent QB. Without a runner like Gurley, Goff wouldn't look that good and would be forced into doing more on his own. Which has yet to show he can do.

 

edit: and as an Eagles fan Wentz should still get the MVP.

Edited by devaster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chippa said:

sure, there have been games that Gurley has taken over and won for LA, but that doesnt mean that without him, the Rams would be sub 500. Would the Rams be 11-4? Of course not, but at worst, they'd finish 9-7 without him. The overall team is too good. Best DC in the league, and a head coach that knows what he's doing.

 

Gurley makes them a Playoff Caliber team with Superbowl Hopes.

 

You take him out, they're fighting a first round exit. McVay uses a lot of basketball logic. Spreading the floor around so there's 1 on 1 matchups. You take Gurley out, the philosophy / team makeup changes drastically into a different system.

The Rams System is predicated on a strong run game to make coverage easier on all levels of the field.

 

He's essentially the "Catalyst" to the Rams Offensive Game Plan.

Edited by ponza88
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, devaster said:

They would be a .500 team or worse without Gurley. Gurley completely transforms that team in the way Zeke does for Dallas. It opens everything up for Goff and the play-action. They control time of possession and limit their defense being on the field. Their defense is fresh.

 

Gurley and the coaching is what has Goff looking like a competent QB. Without a runner like Gurley, Goff wouldn't look that good and would be forced into doing more on his own. Which has yet to show he can do.

Agree to disagree. What makes them so great is having Gurley on the field. Without Gurley, they'd just be good/decent. Are you forgetting how good that defense is? Are you not noticing how their great their offensive line is? Do you not see how good McVay is as a hc? Gurley was on the Rams last year, he didnt do much at all. 

 

The whole team improved around Gurley

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

They would be a .500 team or worse without Gurley. Gurley completely transforms that team in the way Zeke does for Dallas. It opens everything up for Goff and the play-action. They control time of possession and limit their defense being on the field. Their defense is fresh.

 

Gurley and the coaching is what has Goff looking like a competent QB. Without a runner like Gurley, Goff wouldn't look that good and would be forced into doing more on his own. Which has yet to show he can do.


This.

This is why the popular notion that "2017" is Gurley's team, not Goff's.

It's been said multiple times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ponza88 said:

 

Gurley makes them a Superbowl caliber team*

 

You take him out, they're fighting a first round exit. McVay uses a lot of basketball logic. Spreading the floor around so there's 1 on 1 matchups. You take Gurley out, the philosophy / team makeup changes drastically into a different system.

The Rams System is predicated on a strong run game to make coverage easier on all levels of the field.

 

He's essentially the "Catalyst" to the Rams Offensive Game Plan.

with Gurley, they are a superbowl team. Without him, they are still a playoff team. The whole team is good! It's not just Gurley. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chippa said:

Agree to disagree. What makes them so great is having Gurley on the field. Without Gurley, they'd just be good/decent. Are you forgetting how good that defense is? Are you not noticing how their great their offensive line is? Do you not see how good McVay is as a hc? Gurley was on the Rams last year, he didnt do much at all. 

 

The whole team improved around Gurley

Improvements to the OLine and coaching is why Gurley looks different this season. But McVay isn't the sole reason Goff looks different. McVay and Gurley working together is why Goff doesn't look like a bust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ponza88 said:


This.

This is why the popular notion that "2017" is Gurley's team, not Goff's.

It's been said multiple times.

There's more to a team than QB and RB. That's all you and devaster want to make it about. It's like you guys forget that there is a top of the line defense, and top tier o-line that currently occupy space on the Rams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, devaster said:

McVay is the real MVP, but it is still up to the players to execute. And Gurley has. He has carried that offense and defense. The entire team is predicated on Gurley.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that the Rams would be bad without Gurley. False. Would they be super bowl caliber? Nope. But they would still be above .500 because of the coaching, and all of the talent on both sides of the ball. 

Edited by Chippa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chippa said:

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that the Rams would be bad without Gurley. False. Would they be super bowl caliber? Nope. But they would still be above .500 because of the coaching, and all of the talent on both sides of the ball. 

They would most definitely be hovering around .500 without Gurley. It is still a tough division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

They would most definitely be hovering around .500 without Gurley. It is still a tough division.

not really. 49ers are still gonna finish below .500, and so is arizona. Like I said, LA would finish 9-7 AT worst without Gurley, and would be fighting in week 17 for a playoff spot. WITH Gurley, they are a team that can win the superbowl. No question

Edited by Chippa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...