NBC Sports Edge Forums

LeSean McCoy 2017 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm mixed about shady vs gordon this season. Not in regards to talent but volume and td's this season. Almost a coin flip for me

If we play in the same league, go Gordon, otherwise, I got my money on Shady. 

I think both have solid seasons. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not as a high on Shady in 2017 (and beyond) as most seem to be. I think his age begins to show (albeit subtly) resulting in a slight decline in skills, and nagging injuries. That, plus a more balanced offense, Sammy Watkins being healthy, and Mike Tolbert scoring TDs, all equaling disappointed owners in 2017, based on his projected ADP. 

In keeper/dynasty leagues, a perfect time to sell.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

Aside from Zeke I don't know if there's a running back set up for more success than Shady.  Good run blocking line, mobile QB, elite deep threat to drop safety coverage off, and he's a monster of a player.  The Bills don't have the personnel to play any other way, and they shouldn't want to - it was the defense held them back last year.  Watkins healthy is a great thing for Shady's production.  Mike Tolbert is our new Boobie Dixon.  

McCoy will rightfully be the center of this offense.  I don't buy the sell high business when you have this close to a sure thing on your hands.   

45 minutes ago, Mad_Jens said:

Aside from Zeke I don't know if there's a running back set up for more success than Shady.  Good run blocking line, mobile QB, elite deep threat to drop safety coverage off, and he's a monster of a player.  The Bills don't have the personnel to play any other way, and they shouldn't want to - it was the defense held them back last year.  Watkins healthy is a great thing for Shady's production.  Mike Tolbert is our new Boobie Dixon.  

McCoy will rightfully be the center of this offense.  I don't buy the sell high business when you have this close to a sure thing on your hands.   

People thinking that a 29 year old RB coming off his best season in 3 years is a sure thing is what makes him a perfect sell high. 

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

People thinking that a 29 year old RB coming off his best season in 3 years is a sure thing is what makes him a perfect sell high. 

Nothing is ever a sure thing.

What is certain though is that McCoy will be the center of the Bills offense and he is one of the best alive in both the run and pass game.

D. Murray is 29 too.  If he stays healthy, I bet his age doesn't stop him from having a great year.

19 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Nothing is ever a sure thing.

What is certain though is that McCoy will be the center of the Bills offense and he is one of the best alive in both the run and pass game.

D. Murray is 29 too.  If he stays healthy, I bet his age doesn't stop him from having a great year.

People have doubts about Murray, yet feel McCoy is a sure thing. That's what makes McCoy a better sell high. 

11 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I'm not as a high on Shady in 2017 (and beyond) as most seem to be. I think his age begins to show (albeit subtly) resulting in a slight decline in skills, and nagging injuries. That, plus a more balanced offense, Sammy Watkins being healthy, and Mike Tolbert scoring TDs, all equaling disappointed owners in 2017, based on his projected ADP. 

In keeper/dynasty leagues, a perfect time to sell.

You made some great points and I understand your trepidation but how many times have we said the same thing about Frank Gore? He is old as Madusa but continue to put up RB2 numbers. 

I had Shady last season and he was pretty consistent except when he was injured. 

Who would you trade Shady for in dynasty?

7 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Exactly, McCoy can still be sold at a premium. As soon as he starts showing signs of slowing down his value will begin its final descent. The key to selling high is to sell just before this happens, which I believe is right now. 

That's not to say he won't have a great season in 2017. I'd be happy to draft him at the right price, but I'm expecting his numbers to drop off from last season and continue to decline annually. I mean, it is going to happen at some point. 

1 hour ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

You made some great points and I understand your trepidation but how many times have we said the same thing about Frank Gore? He is old as Madusa but continue to put up RB2 numbers. 

I had Shady last season and he was pretty consistent except when he was injured. 

No doubt Shady still has a few good years left in him, but he's currently being drafted as a  high end RB1. Eventually, his age will begin to show and he will go from RB1 numbers to RB2 numbers, just like Gore. Gore's last really good season (1,228/9) was  in 2013, when Gore was 30. 

Nobody's saying Shady is worthless. He'll be a declining valuable fantasy asset for years to come. The only question is when (not if) does the decline begin? 

2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Exactly, McCoy can still be sold at a premium. As soon as he starts showing signs of slowing down his value will begin its final descent. The key to selling high is to sell just before this happens, which I believe is right now. 

That's not to say he won't have a great season in 2017. I'd be happy to draft him at the right price, but I'm expecting his numbers to drop off from last season and continue to decline annually. I mean, it is going to happen at some point. 

NEVER.  SHADY IS DEMI-GOD!  

In fairness-  We really saw no signs of that last season.  He's one of those freak athletes that loves to work and has a drive to be great.    But of course it will happen and his value will probably never be higher.   Could be a few years though.    I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade him if your dynasty is sniffing a title.  

Edited by Impreza178
14 minutes ago, Mad_Jens said:

Everyone gets obsessed with buying into the future when they have guys that can help them win today.  

The point is if you can sell high on McCoy to get a win-now piece plus an excellent future asset, that's how you stay dominant in dynasty leagues. 

Remember that McCoy was younger last year and just as talented, yet had much lower value. Things change a LOT in a season. 

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

sell shady and buy who assuming ur not already studded up? it's not like there are high volume rb1's  hanging around

Who you get in return for Shady depends entirely on your roster needs and those of your league mates. Mabe you get a young WR1 and an upgrade at QB from an RB desperate team loaded at WR? Maybe you get Gronk & an RB2? Maybe you get Crowell, Hopkins, and a top rookie pick? Who knows? I don't know how savvy your league mayes are, what their rosters look like, whether or not one of them has a crush on McCoy, or maybe one of them is just bad at fantasy football and can be taken advantage of.

The point is, McCoy's value will likely never be higher than it is right now, and he's dangerously close to the inevitable decline. If you wait until he begins to show his age, and he's sidelined with nagging ankle issues that never completely go away, recurring hamstring issues, J Williams having a couple big games in Shady's absence leading to a timeshare lof some sort, etc, you'll essentially be stuck with an aging RB past his prime, no longer a high volume RB1.

If you're not the trading type, that's fine. Nothing wrong with holding McCoy through the decline as he goes from RB1, to RB2, to RB3, to done. Personally, I love trading, and McCoy is being dangled like meat on a stick over a pool of pirhana.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • 4 weeks later...

6. Lesean McCoy, BUF
2017 Projection: 215 attempts / 1032 rushing yards / 9 rushing touchdowns; 45 receptions / 360 receiving yards / 2 receiving touchdowns (250 points)
Outlook: McCoy was simply a great running back in 2016 despite numberous touchdowns being vultured by backup Mike Gillislee. After losing Gillislee to the rival Patriots, McCoy returns as the clear favorite for every-down work in the Buffalo backfield. Mike Tolbert and Jonathan Williams will get their carries here and there, but 2016 demonstrated that McCoy has plenty left in the tank and will be the centerpiece, yet again, for the Buffalo offense. Attempts will be down as the Bills aim to keep McCoy fresh, but he is still a playmaker and will finish very well yet again this year (barring injury.)

• 3 weeks later...

From Rotoworld: "The Bills' official website expects only "subtle changes" to the team's running scheme under new OC Rick Dennison."

I picture Dennison firing up Madden looking for plays to add into his playbook.

On Wed May 31 2017 at 6:20 AM, TX Babe Ruth said:

Derrick Henry and a WR

• 3 weeks later...

http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/28/lesean-mccoy-says-hed-like-play-four-seasons/

LeSean McCoy took a swing pass and raced up field, leaving defenders in the dust and fans marveling at what they had just seen.

It was just one play in the first practice of training camp, but the message was clear: the Buffalo Bills' running back hasn't lost a step at age 29.

"I feel good," McCoy said after the Bills wrapped up their second practice of training camp Friday at St. John Fisher College. "I feel the same. I feel young. I feel about 25. Making the same runs, same cuts that feel good. I feel explosive. That's my game -- being explosive, quick. So when that kind of turns, and that leaves, then I'll be in trouble, but for now I feel fine. I can keep doing this until I'm about 33 man."

As he's aged, McCoy has learned that the "small things" he might have overlooked when he came into the league are now critical to his longevity.

"The diet, getting sleep -- all the small things that you don’t think about as a young player, now you’re older and you have to worry about," he said. "All the different maintenance that I’m doing with my body that I’ve never done until probably like last year. That makes a difference.

"I think the biggest thing is just diet and also my weight. When I was younger I could control my weight a lot easier. If I’m heavy, bad offseason, coming into training camp I could lose it fast. But now I have to really manage it the whole entire offseason, just watching what I eat, limit the drinks and the long nights."

From the standpoint of what he can do with a football in his hands, Shady has been one of my favorite RBs to own.  Whenever he gets to the second level, you just sit back and smile.  So many good things can happen.

If he doesn't miss much time to injury, Shady to my mind is a lock to return decent (or better value).  He is too damn good not to.  For him, staying healthy will be what it's all about.  

Edited by Rolling Thunder

I'm literally flipping a coin between taking shady or gordon in the 1st rd. obviously shady is a more talentd wr and will get a huge share of the offense but Ilike the rams potential of getting in redzone for gordon and defenses not focusing on stopping the run because Rivers will punish them whereas tyrod may not do so as effeectively

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm literally flipping a coin between taking shady or gordon in the 1st rd. obviously shady is a more talentd wr and will get a huge share of the offense but Ilike the rams potential of getting in redzone for gordon and defenses not focusing on stopping the run because Rivers will punish them whereas tyrod may not do so as effeectively

Assuming u mean the Chargers.    Not crazy to go either way-   But Shady is one of those special talents and in redraft he's my choice.  

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Assuming u mean the Chargers.    Not crazy to go either way-   But Shady is one of those special talents and in redraft he's my choice.  

:lol:  Jeeezus my post is filled with so many mental errors! i'm posting and looking at training camp clips of various players. I should proofread before i send!

I'm literally flipping a coin between taking shady or gordon in the 1st rd. obviously shady is a more talented RB and will get a huge share of the offense but I like the CHARGERS potential of getting in redzone for gordon and defenses not focusing on stopping the run because Rivers will punish them whereas tyrod may not do so as effectively.