NBC Sports Edge Forums

LeSean McCoy 2017 Season Outlook

On 8/3/2017 at 9:30 AM, Red Sox Nation said:

Being lazy here, so sorry if already discussed, but how much are we dinging McCoy over the OC change? Bills schemed the run game so well last year. 

I think it's a big deal. Anthony Lynn is a RB guru and made that running game sing.  He's not in Los Angeles with Melvin Gordon and a 100x better QB.  Gordon will have far better opportunities than McCoy this year.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, kdko said:

I think it's a big deal. Anthony Lynn is a RB guru and made that running game sing.  He's not in Los Angeles with Melvin Gordon and a 100x better QB.  Gordon will have far better opportunities than McCoy this year.

Losing Forrest Lamp hurts their o-line 

I took Gordon last year per Boltup's work and followed his year closely. This thread isn't about MG vs Shady, but it looks like a common choice people are having so.....

MG was a great example of how you can't trust stats in a vacuum. The guy's a talented, motivated player who worked hard last offseason to improve, but people forget the absolute ****storm that went down in SD last year and how it was 100% to MG's benefit. Everything conceivable to raise his fantasy stock pretty much happened, and SD had to ride him much much more than they planned to because he was just about the last man standing. They also won 5 games (granted, a couple brutal losses they threw away), so I doubt they'll be chomping at the bit to replicate that. 

Comparing something like raw YPG between MG and Shady, you can't realistically expect MG to have even 80% of the workload he saw last year, it's just not reasonable. He will probably get less opportunity, and when you get less, you need to do more with it. MG is not, and hasn't been, an efficient runner. For him to match last year's production, MG needs solid improvement from the O-line and a commitment to using him. Maybe that happens; maybe not. That kind of maybe/maybe just seems silly when you could choose a more consistent, proven commodity with your first pick. I'm leaning Shady. 

1 minute ago, ShowStopper said:

How do u guys feel about McCoy now with Sammy gone? .. defenses will definitely key in on him more with no real outside threat now 

Without examining game logs it's never appeared to hinder him before.   Might want to bump up their new wr1 and Clay though.  Shady is a lock for top 10 probably top 5 if he stays healthy 

If BUF runs him into the ground, the upside is Williams looks like a competent, low cost, clear cuff for the year. Anyone have details on Shady's contract situation? Still on the fence whether the Bills are outright tanking with their new GM and if Williams performs well in the preseason, maybe McCoy's on the block. 

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Without examining game logs it's never appeared to hinder him before.   Might want to bump up their new wr1 and Clay though.  Shady is a lock for top 10 probably top 5 if he stays healthy 

Huge if, guaranteed to miss a couple. 

Watkins wasn't on the field half the time anyways, can't see how it makes a difference. Tyrod being on the field is the difference, defenses cant just assume McCoy will run since Tyrod can keep the handoff and run it himself. 

Also boldin and matthews are competent enough to keep defenses honest.

McCoy was the workhorse when Sammy was out last year. The move does nothing but slightly increase McCoy's value. This is his last year of guaranteed money, he will be rode into the ground every week he is active.

10 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

McCoy was the workhorse when Sammy was out last year. The move does nothing but slightly increase McCoy's value. This is his last year of guaranteed money, he will be rode into the ground every week he is active.

Slight bump in value, yes. Could rival Boldin and JMatthews for receptions, considering how the Bills use him and rely on him. And he looked great last year, at times primed and shifty and fast and solid. Thing is, Shady has only played three 16-game seasons in eight years... so, like you say, "every week he is active" he will be RB1 material... and I reckon when he's not active, it'll be Jonathan Williams (if hamstring heals) with Fatty T vulturing some TDs and third-down work. Contrary to popular misconception, Tolbert's fat fingers are sticky and he's adept at receiving.

12 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

Huge if, guaranteed to miss a couple. 

Even if he misses a couple he'll be Top 3.

Edited by ponza88

With the Bills trading Watkins and Darby, I think they have put up the white flag already. They aren't going to win the division and will be hard pressed to get a wildcard. Wouldn't surprise me if they trade McCoy. If Bills are doing a full on tank mode/rebuild, they might as well trade McCoy and get something of value for him as he doesn't really figure into a rebuild with his age. 

15 hours ago, lightweight3 said:

Shady is just about the safest pick you can make in the first round (barring injury, which you can argue about anyone).  As of this moment I think I'd take him over ODB and Julio in the first round because stud RBs are so tough to find and acquire. 

I agree. 

Regarding the Watkins impact, of course it is a negative but McCoy has beasted with or without Watkins the last two years. He is an elite talent running behind a good O line and benefits from having a running threat at QB.

At this point it is hard to bet on 16 games from McCoy--but that is why handcuffing him is essential. Williams would likely be a mid-level RB2 absent McCoy, even if he does not match Gillisee's production.

17 hours ago, burninglegs said:

With the Bills trading Watkins and Darby, I think they have put up the white flag already. They aren't going to win the division and will be hard pressed to get a wildcard. Wouldn't surprise me if they trade McCoy. If Bills are doing a full on tank mode/rebuild, they might as well trade McCoy and get something of value for him as he doesn't really figure into a rebuild with his age. 

I agree 100% but people around here don't agree with that narrative at all. Our last 3-4 regular season home games are empty AF anyway so what's the difference?

3 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

I agree 100% but people around here don't agree with that narrative at all. Our last 3-4 regular season home games are empty AF anyway so what's the difference?

You guys are probably what, 2-4 years from contending depending how lucky you get with the rebuild and drafting? Seems like the team doesn't trust Tyrod nor really want him as their QB of the future. So they will need to draft a QB + hope the QB turns out and develops in a timely manner. Plus the other pieces needed on offense and defense. 

McCoy trade is probably contingent on being able to find a partner that needs someone like McCoy. Looking at playoff contenders who need help at RB, there aren't too many at the moment. Obviously if injuries take place during the preseason/regular season that would change things. Maybe Lions if the Abdullah/Zenner/Riddick 3 headed monster doesn't do much. Maybe NYG? Just not too many teams in desperate need of someone like McCoy at the moment.

5 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

You guys are probably what, 2-4 years from contending depending how lucky you get with the rebuild and drafting? Seems like the team doesn't trust Tyrod nor really want him as their QB of the future. So they will need to draft a QB + hope the QB turns out and develops in a timely manner. Plus the other pieces needed on offense and defense. 

McCoy trade is probably contingent on being able to find a partner that needs someone like McCoy. Looking at playoff contenders who need help at RB, there aren't too many at the moment. Obviously if injuries take place during the preseason/regular season that would change things. Maybe Lions if the Abdullah/Zenner/Riddick 3 headed monster doesn't do much. Maybe NYG? Just not too many teams in desperate need of someone like McCoy at the moment.

I'll send him to Green Bay or Houston for a 2nd.