NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Doug Martin 2017 Season Outlook

FlashGordon401

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Sorry guys, my bad. Read that as at 3/4 for some reason. 6/7th is a great pick and where I have been taking him. Will provide great value there imo. With the Bucs offense and schedule, he could potentially bring back low RB1 value when he is back playing. 

I think so too.  Pair him up with Quizz and you'll get great value.  Excellent zero RB target.

5 minutes ago, CooL said:

I think so too.  Pair him up with Quizz and you'll get great value.  Excellent zero RB target.

You don't even need to pair him with Quizz. 

Just get West, with his great 3-4 game schedule to start the season.

IMO, a much better situation that'll return value all year.

18 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

You don't even need to pair him with Quizz. 

Just get West, with his great 3-4 game schedule to start the season.

IMO, a much better situation that'll return value all year.

To me Martin and West are good a combo as Martin and Lewis.  I've been targeting them everywhere. Of course they are both excellent gets even if you don't have the other one.

5 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

To me Martin and West are good a combo as Martin and Lewis.  I've been targeting them everywhere. Of course they are both excellent gets even if you don't have the other one.

?.  Dion Lewis???  Trying to think of another Lewis RB that is relevant but I can't come up with any.  Dion Lewis has been going undrafted in most of the mocks I've done.  Am I missing something there?  I feel he is probably fourth in the pecking order in the NE backfield, if there is a pecking order at all.

West would be a good combo with Dougie, it's just I feel that West probably costs a little more than Quizz.

13 minutes ago, CooL said:

?.  Dion Lewis???  Trying to think of another Lewis RB that is relevant but I can't come up with any.  Dion Lewis has been going undrafted in most of the mocks I've done.  Am I missing something there?  I feel he is probably fourth in the pecking order in the NE backfield, if there is a pecking order at all.

West would be a good combo with Dougie, it's just I feel that West probably costs a little more than Quizz.

Dean and Jerry

42 minutes ago, CooL said:

This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious posts I have ever seen in my life. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Coprolagnia said:

Dean and Jerry

49 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious posts I have ever seen in my life. Thank you.

Ah I get it. My brain is all fantasy football right now, missed that pop culture reference.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:04 AM, devaster said:

Martin has never been a consistent week-to-week RB. He puts up a few monster games in his good seasons and is a borderline RB3 in the rest of his games.

Finally, insight from someone who has actually owned Martin during his "good" years. 

13 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

DouggieMar is going to win some leagues this season! 

9 minutes ago, nb009 said:

I've owned Martin for 2 out of his 5 seasons, 2012 and 2015. In both years, he finished top 5.

2017 will mark the third year where I own Martin. Enjoy the ride, fellas. Enjoy the ride.

In for the ride.

28 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Prove it

I've owned Martin during all of his big seasons. And he has been frustrating to own even during those seasons. Owned him 2012, 2013 (he stunk and was injured), and 2015. He blows up and wins you some weeks early in the season. And then has a bunch of single point weeks and disappears during the playoffs.

In 2012 he mostly was nonexistent during the fantasy playoffs and blew up during week 17 which rarely matters for any owners. I didn't win the championship that season and Martin was a big reason why. 2013 was 1 big game and a bunch of bad ones before his injury. He didn't look good that season before his injury. 2015 he blew up a few times but was a ghost in the playoffs. I dropped him that season and actually faced him in the championship game. Guess what? I won because Martin disappeared. The lone TD he had saved him from another single digit performance.

My plan this season is to trade him after a big game or two, if he even has them.

Apart from the first round RBs, just what RBs are considered to be consistent?  I can't believe that people are actually unhappy that their 6th round RB is not
"consistent".  What do you expect from a 6th round RB???!  Just be happy that you can plug him into your RB2 or flex, especially if you went zero RB.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I've owned Martin during all of his big seasons. And he has been frustrating to own even during those seasons. Owned him 2012, 2013 (he stunk and was injured), and 2015. He blows up and wins you some weeks early in the season. And then has a bunch of single point weeks and disappears during the playoffs.

In 2012 he mostly was nonexistent during the fantasy playoffs and blew up during week 17 which rarely matters for any owners. I didn't win the championship that season and Martin was a big reason why. 2013 was 1 big game and a bunch of bad ones before his injury. He didn't look good that season before his injury. 2015 he blew up a few times but was a ghost in the playoffs. I dropped him that season and actually faced him in the championship game. Guess what? I won because Martin disappeared. The lone TD he had saved him from another single digit performance.

My plan this season is to trade him after a big game or two, if he even has them.

You've already been disproven dev.  

See previous page.  

There's a lot of false narratives and prejudice brought about by painful memories in FF.   Trust me I have them too.   But Martin had 1700 yards and finished as overall Rb3 his last mostly full season.    He finished as a Rb2 or better 11 of 16 weeks.  Rb1 or better 9 of those.  That's life as an NFL rb for MOST backs outside of the the elite top few.  

Hes a screaming value in the 5th right now. 

6 minutes ago, CooL said:

Apart from the first round RBs, just what RBs are considered to be consistent?  I can't believe that people are actually unhappy that their 6th round RB is not
"consistent".  What do you expect from a 6th round RB???!  Just be happy that you can plug him into your RB2 or flex, especially if you went zero RB.

There are only 2 truly consistent RBs and they are going in the first 2 picks, and even at that DJ isn't what you'd call "consistent" given he's only had 1 good (dominant) year.  Suspension aside, I like Dougie just as much as Freeman, McCoy, Gordon, Murray and TBH I like Doug more than Howard, Ajayi, Gurley and the rookies.  RB is a heaping pile of question marks this year, per usual.

Edited by JJ1223

8 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

You've already been disproven dev.  

See previous page.  

There's a lot of false narratives and prejudice brought about by painful memories in FF.   Trust me I have them too.   But Martin had 1700 yards and finished as overall Rb3 his last mostly full season.    He finished as a Rb2 or better 11 of 16 weeks.  Rb1 or better 9 of those.  That's life as an NFL rb for MOST backs outside of the the elite top few.  

Hes a screaming value in the 5th right now. 

I don't rank RBs as RB1 or RB2 simply by being in a range of week-to-week rankings. The ppg and week-to-week scoring matter more to me. I'm not sure how you rank, but most people just rank a RB1 if they are in the top-10/12 at their position for a given week or end of season. And I think that is lazy analysis.

Picking up DJ and Cam going crazy with 35 passing TDs is why I won in 2015. Dropping Martin that season was a good decision. I tried to trade him, but rarely anyone trades in my 10-team league. Doug had 6 rushing TD and 1 receiving TD in 2015. He had 4 weeks over 100 yards rushing and most of his receiving yards came during those weeks. 4 of his 7 total TDs also came during those weeks. That means a majority of his production was in 4 games that season. And that is true. The same thing happened during his 2012 rookie season. I live in Tampa so I get to watch the Bucs and Doug play often. Just not that impressed. I was at the Raider game in 2012 and the team took him out of the game during the 3rd quarter I think. Otherwise it could have been a 300 yard game and 5 TDs.

27 minutes ago, devaster said:

Great reasoning, he was bad for you during weeks 15-16 in 2012 so he's due to disappoint again.

I was able to get him in the end of the 7th in my 10 team .5 ppr last night and was ecstatic about that. When he comes back week 4 he should be the bell cow. And take this as you may but watching Hard Knocks this season has gotten me high on him. He looks like he's in better shape, he's shown really good quickness and the coaching staff and management see it too. He's out to prove something this year. I honestly think he can return top 10 RB value when he returns.