NBC Sports Edge Forums

Doug Martin 2017 Season Outlook

All for folks playing devils advocate but there are also a ton of Quizz apologists in here. Fact of the matter is that no one really knows how things will shake out tonight. Tonight alone may not even be a good indicator of what will happen going forward.

That said, I personally believe in Dougs talent and that he’ll be the main back going forward. These narratives of how Koetter doesn’t like him sound ridiculous.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup...due to bye weeks, I also gotta start him....I would guess he gets no worse than 50% reps...at best 75%

I think this is DM's backfield no matter what, but he is 2 years older than 2015 and Rb's have a steep drop off when they age..

I truly think the coach loves quizz, but all that means to me is that quizz solidified his role over the last 3 weeks over the likes of peyton barber, etc. 

In order to keep DM fresh, quizz could get 50% carries tonight, and 20% the rest of the season of the running plays...similar to Chris Johnson last year when david Johnson needed a drink of h2o...

If DM is on his A game, he could also inherit a few passing downs to take away from Sims....

Pats defense is bad, Bucs defense is hurt...should be a lot of fantasy points tonight for everyone !!! I would not want to start either defense tonight....

now because I said this...final score will be 6 to 3 !!!

Should also mention one of the best defenses against Brady has always been to keep him off the field as many minutes as possible......

Meaning running the ball, or short passes....no doubt they will need to pass some in this game, but long, drawn out methodical drives favors Martin and Quizz both Getting the rock plenty...

I think the Bucs really want to win this game.  Based on the RB usage last year, it's pretty clear that Koetter and OC Monken view Martin as their best RB.  When active last year, Martin always dominated touches over Jacquizz.  Add this fact with statements made in their press conferences this week, with both saying Martin "looked good" and Monken declaring Martin "ready to go," I would expect Martin to step in and get plenty of carries right off the bat.  

If Jacquizz and Martin split carries evenly it would be the first time these coaches have done that.  I think that's only possible if Martin gets repeatedly stuffed at the line the whole first quarter, but hey this is the Patriots defense we're talking about so that probably won't happen.  I'm firing Martin up tonight! 

We also need to remember that they are playing the Pats.  In their house.  On Thursday night.  With the whole country watching.  If they were playing the Browns I can see them maybe giving him some time to ease in, but this is a huge huge game.  You do everything u can to win.  I think that means you ride your best rb hard.  I mean can u imagine they leave Doug on the sideline and they lose?  The media will crucify them.

17 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

Bro - ever takes down a few fatties in their life time.  The difference is that you did it while sober :lol:

lmao, I live in Wisconsin..........

2 hours ago, kidsgotsoul said:

All for folks playing devils advocate but there are also a ton of Quizz apologists in here. Fact of the matter is that no one really knows how things will shake out tonight. Tonight alone may not even be a good indicator of what will happen going forward.

That said, I personally believe in Dougs talent and that he’ll be the main back going forward. These narratives of how Koetter doesn’t like him sound ridiculous.  

I own both. I'd love to keep riding Quizz in one league, but I expect Martin to take over. Practice time is an issue, but the rest of the team is also on short rest. So it is a good situation to heavily feature Martin and the run game. NE is also on short rest and that defense can't stop anyone. Even if Quizz does get a bunch of carries the Bucs should try to run it 40+ times. Both RBs could be featured.

Quizz will be phased into a change of pace role next week though. And he wasn't getting 3rd down work, so not much value except as a good handcuff beyond this week.

Here's another article from this morning. It's going to be an interesting game tonight for sure. I personally could see the coaches taking the hot hand approach, but no doubt they will provide Martin with opportunities to succeed right off the bat. If he is the player many believe he still is, I think he crushes it tonight. Only time will tell. 

14 minutes ago, Army-of-1 said:

Here's another article from this morning. It's going to be an interesting game tonight for sure. I personally could see the coaches taking the hot hand approach, but no doubt they will provide Martin with opportunities to succeed right off the bat. If he is the player many believe he still is, I think he crushes it tonight. Only time will tell. 

Not only Reward Tampa Bay for sticking by him, but all of us for believing in him and starting him tonight with faith!  B)

2 minutes ago, kp96 said:

This thread is gonna explode after this game either with joy or anger.

There isn't much information to go off right now so expectations should be held in check. No question, he is a talented player looking to prove himself and he's in a primetime spot against the defending champs. He obviously still has things working against him that have been mentioned by several members in this thread. The biggest concern to me is that he hasn't played at full speed in several weeks or faced real NFL contact. When a player comes back from injury they at least practice several times and take some hits before stepping back onto the field. However, its a short week against a defense that has stopped no one from running at will and he is fresh and motivated to show up. Pros and cons to starting him but if you don't have many options then I would imagine he gives you as good a shot as any of the other RBs outside the top 20. 

i get if this were a game against CLE or NYJ.  in those cases TB probably wouldn't need all hands on deck to get the win.  but against NE they are going to need all their play makers contributing at a high level to win.  they don't have the luxury of easing Martin in or making him earn a starting job back.  he is going to have all the opportunity he can handle to put up points this week.  and isn't that what you want with the running back position?

If you want to say that Quizz has earned the right to take away carries, that's fine. Valid enough argument. I don't agree, but it's fair.

But I just don't get the arguments about his conditioning or not being in game shape. The guy participated all through camp and played in the preseason. His conditioning is fine. He's played at game speed and taken hits. I'd be far more concerned if he had missed these last few weeks because of an injury. To me, there is no concern in that regard.

1 minute ago, Bowman said:

If you want to say that Quizz has earned the right to take away carries, that's fine. Valid enough argument. I don't agree, but it's fair.

But I just don't get the arguments about his conditioning or not being in game shape. The guy participated all through camp and played in the preseason. His conditioning is fine. He's played at game speed and taken hits. I'd be far more concerned if he had missed these last few weeks because of an injury. To me, there is no concern in that regard.

That was over a month ago that he got to practice with the team. Forgive people for thinking it takes more than 2 days to get back into the swing of things and be ready to carry the ball 20+ times against live contact. 

I really don't know how tonight will play out but we should get word on who is starting before the game.