NBC Sports Edge Forums

Doug Martin 2017 Season Outlook

yeah he looked exceptional. nice to see him get some targets in the passing game too. hes primed for a huge season. he was easily the best player on the field of TB. i was trying to think of rbs id currently take over him ROS and theres really not many. i have him in the 6-10 range.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

yeah he looked exceptional. nice to see him get some targets in the passing game too. hes primed for a huge season. he was easily the best player on the field of TB. i was trying to think of rbs id currently take over him ROS and theres really not many. i have him in the 6-10 range.

Curious which rb would you take over him?

Hard to believe people are so quick to drop quizz. Health is not guaranteed in that sport, and whoever is "the guy" in the Tampa backfield seems a lock for 15+ touches usually.  Quizz is a drop-off from DM but very competent.  Perfect handcuff, I'll use a an extra roster spot to guarantee the starting RB in a good offense behind a good line.

Edited by SuperMarksBros.
2 hours ago, CrastersCreep said:

Zeke, bell, gurley, hunt

then freeman and mccoy by a hair.

the following guys I would put in the same tier but I'd prefer doug by a hair: ajayi, tymo, fournette, CJ, Gordon, hyde

I agree for the most part. Martin should be a high volume RB who can run and catch (I don't think Sims is going to go away in stealing a lot of the pure passing down work and change of pace carries but I think it'll be better than this past week as Martin gets more up to speed). I don't think he'll see as much volume as  Fournette or Hyde type back and as much as a healthy (or at least healthier) Gordon. However, he is in arguably in a better offense than all of them so he shouldn't need as much volume to be successful and has more TD upside which helps balance the equation between them. I think he is clearly better than Ajayi who is a clear two down back on a bad team and struggling offense. I believe he will improve ( and so will the offense but question is to what extent) but I wouldn't want him over Martin ROS since his ceiling isn't as high (at least in PPR leagues). Howard is in a similar situation as Ajayi but Howard plays in a less talented offense (unknown x factor of Trubinsky and what he could potential bring to that offense) which means even with Bears behind its less likely he completely disappears as evidence last week when he scored late despite the game being out of hand. 

Tymo is the converse argument but I rather have Martin over him. I think Packers wanted to limit his role this year (why they drafted 3 RBs) and after seeing him get injured they'll want to use him less on early downs (to keep him healthy) but keep him on passing downs where he is at his best. Idk which of Williams and Jones will emerge to cut into that early down role but I think Tymo will still have minimally RB2 value (in PPR at least) with RB1 upside still due solely to the strength of that Packers offense and how good a receiver Tymo is out of backfield. The issue is that if Packers get up big its less likely they use him over one of the rookies who will serve as clock killers and battering rams to tire the opposing defense. I rather have Martin as a more complete player who should get more volume and not be as subject vulnerable to game flow (although he is still vulnerable). 

Therefore I'd have the guys you listed clearly ahead of him and guys like C.J. Anderson and Lamar Miller about equal to Martin not only as far as tier but their style of workload. Both Anderson and Miller are guys who are the dominant early down back and capable receivers but both have very good backups (who both have outplayed them on given weeks already). Their offenses are both also pretty good (assuming Watson continues to play at the level he has and Broncos offense can still improve their passing which I think has played well below their capabilities). Anderson has the additional benefit of playing with a good defense that'll keep games close and promote him to be used to run the clock in games they have a tight lead. 

All that is a long way of saying I think Martin is a clear top 10 back ROS. Personal preference, ceiling vs. floor tolerance and PPR vs. standard will change the order of that backend group but things look good for owners of Martin. 

8 minutes ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Hard to believe people are so quick to drop quizz. Health is not guaranteed in that sport, and whoever is "the guy" in the Tampa backfield seems a lock for 15+ touches usually.  Quizz is a drop-off from DM but very competent.  Perfect handcuff, I'll use a an extra roster spot to guarantee the starting RB in a good offense behind a good line.

Well many of the people on this thread who were pumping up quizz did not have martin too, so I can see a drop.  Quizz is a decent handcuff if only because u know for sure he is the handcuff, unlike say Miami or Dallas where we don't really know.

Good lawd Douglas Martin looked fantastic last night. That dropped pass was a little ugly but that's okay, shake the rust off and catch some more next week. 

Happy to see some light after the darkness DJ's injury brought on. 

17 minutes ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Agreed he isn't the most talented RB but from volume only he would be (and I think proved in first few weeks) minimally a flex option with RB2 upside. Like any handcuff if I own Martin and if I have a bench spot of another guy who I won't start even during BYE weeks and don't have the RB depth to handle losing Martin I'd prefer to keep Jaquizz rostered so I have piece of mind that I won't have a gaping hole in my lineup if Martin did miss time for any reason or have to fight on waivers to pickup Jaquizz

If you don't own Martin he isn't as valuable. I think there are backups with more upside if they became starters who may be on waivers (Foreman, Henry, and Charles off top of my head) but Jaquizz would be fairly high on that list. However, depending on your depth you can probably find a more useful player to roster who isn't playable only in the event of an injury happening. 

Edited by Jaw1

On a desperation throw in 2 minutes before kickoff, I am glad I did.  However, I also had Tom Brady on this same team so not good at all.

Anyways, Tampa Bay deserved to lose this game and I'm not even talking about the missed FG's either.  Sometimes I don't understand coaches at all.  Here we have a guy who was like averaging 8 YPC in the first half, but we are going to make sure we make him irrelevant in the 2nd half and play JR because I have such a man crush on him.  I just don't understand the man crushes on some people by the coaches.  Dougie's had a great debut, but if the coaching staff were smart it could have been much better.

Edited by KuNiT21
23 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

On a desperation throw in 2 minutes before kickoff, I am glad I did.  However, I also had Tom Brady on this same team so not good at all.

Anyways, Tampa Bay deserved to lose this game and I'm not even talking about the missed FG's either.  Sometimes I don't understand coaches at all.  Here we have a guy who was like averaging 8 YPC in the first half, but we are going to make sure we make him irrelevant in the 2nd half and play JR because I have such a man crush on him.  I just don't understand the man crushes on some people by the coaches.  Dougie's had a great debut, but if the coaching staff were smart it could have been much better.

Is it possible that Martin was "out of gas" for most of the 2nd half?  I'm completely speculating but you hear all the time about how players need to get into "game shape".  Maybe Martin was too tired?  I'm not sure I'm buying my own thought here but whatever.

3 minutes ago, dre said:

Is it possible that Martin was "out of gas" for most of the 2nd half?  I'm completely speculating but you hear all the time about how players need to get into "game shape".  Maybe Martin was too tired?  I'm not sure I'm buying my own thought here but whatever.

You’re thinking too much now, they had to go to the air and Sims is the pass catching back. Martin had 5.7 YPC, looked fantastic. 

Edited by iretirefromfantasy
1 minute ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

You’re thinking too much now, they had to go to the air and Sims is the pass catching back. Martin had 5.7 YPC, looked fantastic. 

I don't think they ever had to go to the air.  They were never down by more than two scores.  The game was within reach the entire time.  It was 13-7 at the half and 16-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter.  They had plenty of time to still pound the ball.  Especially coming out of halftime.

7 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

They did not have to go to the air.  Doug Martin had 1 carry in the 4th quarter at the 15:00 mark and that was it.  There was no urgency with 15 minutes in the 4th quarter that they just had to go to air.  This is the result of awful coaching and man crushes by Koetter.  If Tampa Bay cared about winning Doug Martin would have been the 3 down back.  He gave them the best possibility to win last night and the coach blew it.

Edited by KuNiT21
5 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

They did not have to go to the air.  Doug Martin had 1 carry in the 4th quarter at the 15:00 mark and that was it.  There was no urgency with 15 minutes in the 4th quarter that they just had to go to air.  This is the result of awful coaching and man crushes by Koetter.  If Tampa Bay cared about winning Doug Martin would have been the 3 down back.  He gave them the best possibility to win last night and the coach blew it.

Couldn't of said it better myself 

I don't think he was winded.  It was the short practice week.  Teams have play packages for certain situations, like 2 minute and hurry up and all that.  The probably didn't have time to prep Doug beyond their base packages so they went with quizz who was more familiar.  We should see a major uptick in snaps now that they have 10 days to practice with him.

11 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Yes he did.  Folks can debate the coaching but Martin did everything his owners could ask for and more the first game back.    It was clear they hadn’t integrated him into the sub- packages yet, which they ran most of the second half.    He still had 3 targets. and next week will be even more involved.  

I say this completely objectively as a football fan and observer and not as a Dougie owner: the coaches screwed the pooch, big time.  They were playing like they were down 30 when it was only 1-2 scores.  NE just sat back in zone the whole game and TB played right in to their hands.  Stay with the run and TB most likely wins that game with ease.  When NE finally decides to respect the run you burn them with PA.  Another huge blunder was kicking that FG at the end of the first half.  What was it?  56 yards?  I know your kicker sucks, you know your kicker sucks, everyone on both  teams knows your kicker sucks.  Give him 10 more tries and he's making MAYBE 1 from that distance.  Let Jameis go throw that thing up to Mike and OJ and maybe you go in to the half with a 1 point lead, instead of just setting your kicker up to fail.  Dumb.

I just hope this type of play calling doesn't hamper Dougie in the future.  I'm chalking this one up to the Brady/Pats factor making 1-2 scores seem like more than it really was.

Edited by JJ1223

You do not come off a month of not playing and instantly go back to getting 20+ touches and playing most of the snaps 

“Football shape” is not a myth - it’s real. You can be peak physical condition and still need time to adapt to actually playing the game ... he will only get better as the season goes on. Looked incredible last night given the circumstances and deserves must start “RB1” status 

4 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I say this completely objectively as a football fan and observer and not as a Dougie owner: the coaches screwed the pooch, big time.  They were playing like they were down 30 when it was only 1-2 scores.  NE just sat back in zone the whole game and TB played right in to their hands.  Stay with the run and TB most likely wins that game with ease.  When NE finally decides to respect the run you burn them with PA.  Another huge blunder was kicking that FG at the end of the first half.  What was it?  56 yards?  I know your kicker sucks, you know your kicker sucks, everyone on both  teams knows your kicker sucks.  Give him 10 more tries and he's making MAYBE 1 from that distance.  Let Jameis go throw that thing up to Mike and OJ and maybe you go in to the half with a 1 point lead, instead of just setting your kicker up to fail.  Dumb.

I just hope this type of play calling doesn't hamper Dougie in the future.  I'm chalking this one up to the Brady/Pats factor making 1-2 scores seem like more than it really was.

Completely agree.  Does it ever seem like teams/coaches just completely sh*t themselves when they go up against the Pats and Belichick?

I think people are overreacting to the loss and coaching.  The kicker went 0 for 3.  If he goes 2 for 3, his play calling does not come into question at all.  The media would be praising his game plan.  If folk hits that 31 yarder it's totally different.