NBC Sports Edge Forums

Doug Martin 2017 Season Outlook

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

It’s almost as if being sober would have a positive impact on performance 

It would take Quizz nearly 20 carries to put up Doug’s line from last night

Guess you didn't see him put up 83 on 16 carries last week versus a tougher defense in New York.

I'm not saying Quizz is at all a good back and is no more than JAG. But flukes happen.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its crazy, we saw an awesome performance from a guy and there are still debates going on.  Its obvious that everyone comes here with their own personal agenda.  Stop polluting the thread with nonsense.  At this point only @KennyWoo should be allowed to speak.  All the bitter ones that missed out on him please leave the thread.  All others, fire him up next Sunday and enjoy.   Kenny.png.b808e07cf2468d782f265a82af35913e.png

12 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Was Todd Gurley super talented last year?

Was Todd Gurley dealing with an awful QB in Goff and a terrible receiving corps and overall team last year? Yes.

Was Martin? No.

13 minutes ago, youngrice said:

How is it a stretch?? Only the top 6(Bell, Gurley, Hunt, Freeman, Fournette Zeke) have been consistent.  Add in to that you have DJ, Cook out.  Ty and Hyde are injuries waiting to happen.  A lot of other top backs are sharing the backfield(Howard, Murray, Ingram, CJA) so they are widely inconsistent.  Name 6 other RB's you would rather have then Martin.  I can only name a 2 I would definitely take over him Gordon(I still believe in the offense and his role) and Mccoy.  

Gurley, Bell, Zeke, Fournette, Freeman, Hunt, Hyde, Howard, TyMo, Gordon, McCoy, Anderson, Murray

52 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Not much to explain.

Pats defense is the worst in the league. This was a Thursday night, where Tom Brady did garbage. Winston looked garbage. Folk missed the easiest kicks in the world. Gronk was out.

You can't look at this game and take it for anything more than an odd night. Did Martin look good? Sure, he did. But to claim he is going to be a top 12 running back going forward off of 13 carries versus the ranked dead last defense in the league is a gigantic stretch. 

I realize this is about Martin and I'm neither a Folk owner, apologist or overly sensitive relative but just wanted to defend the poor guy from an inaccurate statement that he missed the "easiest kicks in the world". His first two misses were from 56 and 49. The last one was from 31 and obviously much easier but you could tell his confidence was shot by that point.

1 minute ago, Zangief80 said:

Its crazy, we saw an awesome performance from a guy and there are still debates going on.  Its obvious that everyone comes here with their own personal agenda.  Stop polluting the thread with nonsense.  At this point only @KennyWoo should be allowed to speak.  All the bitter ones that missed out on him please leave the thread.  All others, fire him up next Sunday and enjoy.   Kenny.png.b808e07cf2468d782f265a82af35913e.png

giphy.gif

Just now, ESquared said:

I realize this is about Martin and I'm neither a Folk owner, apologist or overly sensitive relative but just wanted to defend the poor guy from an inaccurate statement that he missed the "easiest kicks in the world". His first two misses were from 56 and 49. The last one was from 31 and obviously much easier but you could tell his confidence was shot by that point.

Understood and a valid point. I'll agree with your statement. At least he made the 2 extra points.

17 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

He's had 2 good years and 3 bad years, including last year when he did absolutely nothing. His name means nothing, and it's your opinion that he could be an RB1. But I'm here to tell you that it's too early to claim that after 1 Thursday night game. 

He was named 2015 AP All-Pro and finished second to only AP in rushing yards. He was an elite RB in this league not long ago. 

He has been very inconsistent up until this point and injuries have largely been to blame in all 3 of his down years. In 2016 he had a grade-2 hamstring injury on separate occasions, in 2014 he had an MCL sprain plus an ankle sprain, and in 2013 his season was cut short by a torn labrum. He has been a player that has struggled with conditioning and when not right, his performance showed it.

Reports dating back to last spring have painted an image of a very different player this year. I agree that one game is not enough to reach any sort of conclusion on a player, but Martin has performed at an elite level before and many close to the organization believe he is in possibly the best shape of his career. Martin put in the work this year and the reports are out there to back it up (included one below). I think we're going to see something much closer to the 2015 Doug Martin that was an elite running back in this league. 

http://bucswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/03/a-leaner-stronger-doug-martin-discusses-his-offseason-regimen/

6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Was Todd Gurley dealing with an awful QB in Goff and a terrible receiving corps and overall team last year? Yes.

Was Martin? No.

Gurley, Bell, Zeke, Fournette, Freeman, Hunt, Hyde, Howard, TyMo, Gordon, McCoy, Anderson, Murray

Hyde- injury prone, no thanks

TyMo- broken ribs, no thanks

Gordon- dealing with an injury and he's not very good, no thanks

Murray- He's had one good game and in a timeshare- no thanks 

Howard and CJA are close but I still prefer Martin's upside 

The only thing that could hold back Martin is Koetter, and I'm afraid Koetter will be too stubborn with his philosophy and system to unleash DM and let him be a true workhorse like he should be. I still think DM will have low end RB1/high end RB2 value even on 50-60% snaps. However, if the unthinkable happens and Koetter lets him take over the backfield watch out.

21 minutes ago, addicted2ff said:

The only thing that could hold back Martin is Koetter, and I'm afraid Koetter will be too stubborn with his philosophy and system to unleash DM and let him be a true workhorse like he should be. I still think DM will have low end RB1/high end RB2 value even on 50-60% snaps. However, if the unthinkable happens and Koetter lets him take over the backfield watch out.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't.  The rest of the backs on the roster are complete JAG's.  I'd be willing to bet Dougie not seeing much run in the latter part of the game last night had as much to with him Dirk not feeling as comfortable yet throwing him out there in comeback mode as much as it did with fatigue.  They haven't really had much time to scheme those situations with him yet.  He should be a workhorse going forward, top 10 in my opinion.  He looked as good last night as I've ever seen him.

3 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I'm not sure why he wouldn't.  The rest of the backs on the roster are complete JAG's.  I'd be willing to bet Dougie not seeing much run in the latter part of the game last night had as much to with him Dirk not feeling as comfortable yet throwing him out there in comeback mode as much as it did with fatigue.  They haven't really had much time to scheme those situations with him yet.  He should be a workhorse going forward, top 10 in my opinion.  He looked as good last night as I've ever seen him.

Well he wouldn't because it's Dirk Koetter. There's a reason he was canned in Atlanta. Barry Sanders in his prime could stumble on his roster and he would still give passing down work to Quizz and Sims. I think Dougie didn't play much in 2nd half because of game script and they were behind, just like he was used in 2015.

Yeah I'm not sure where this talk of Martin being limited by Koetter's philosophy is coming from.

In '15, Martin had 300+ touches while Dirk was OC.

Last year, in 8 games, Doug averaged 20 touches per game.

Koetter knows as well as anyone just how talented Martin is.  He will use him accordingly. 

As he always has.

40 minutes ago, addicted2ff said:

If im correct Koetter was the offensive coordinator in 2015 when Martin finished as a top 5 RB

55 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Was Martin? No.

I agree with all of those except for Howard and Murray.

58 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Hyde- injury prone, no thanks

Martin is as injury prone if not more than Hyde

TyMo- broken ribs, no thanks

When healthy, and rest of season, I'd rather have TyMo and you'd be lying if you didn't agree.

Gordon- dealing with an injury and he's not very good, no thanks

I could maybe agree on this. Too early in the season to say.

Murray- He's had one good game and in a timeshare- no thanks

People still think this is a timeshare?  

Howard and CJA are close but I still prefer Martin's upside 

To each their own

1 hour ago, Army-of-1 said:

He was named 2015 AP All-Pro and finished second to only AP in rushing yards. He was an elite RB in this league not long ago. 

He has been very inconsistent up until this point and injuries have largely been to blame in all 3 of his down years. In 2016 he had a grade-2 hamstring injury on separate occasions, in 2014 he had an MCL sprain plus an ankle sprain, and in 2013 his season was cut short by a torn labrum. He has been a player that has struggled with conditioning and when not right, his performance showed it.

Reports dating back to last spring have painted an image of a very different player this year. I agree that one game is not enough to reach any sort of conclusion on a player, but Martin has performed at an elite level before and many close to the organization believe he is in possibly the best shape of his career. Martin put in the work this year and the reports are out there to back it up (included one below). I think we're going to see something much closer to the 2015 Doug Martin that was an elite running back in this league. 

http://bucswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/03/a-leaner-stronger-doug-martin-discusses-his-offseason-regimen/

We will have to wait and see

Edited by oliminator123

This thread has me all like......

Image result for harshing my mellow

As many others have pointed out, Doug looked really good last night and I am stoked with his performance.  I was able to draft him in the middle rounds and based on last night, he has the potential to put up RB1 numbers.  Even if he doesn't and he puts up solid RB2 numbers, why is that a problem?  You people need to chill out and enjoy the ride while it lasts.  Whether it is one week or the rest of the season.  

Doug Martin is a top-10 running back when healthy. He looked electric out there. He's going to get get the volume, he looks in great condition, has the talent, is in a contract year for all intents and purposes,  and has the newfound privilege of playing in a high-octane offense with weapons like Evans, Jackson, and Brate that can stretch the field. Wouldn't be surprised if he outperforms players like Gordon, Ajayi, Howard, Montgomery, Anderson, Miller, etc.

3 minutes ago, J Boogie said:

Doug Martin is a top-10 running back when healthy. He looked electric out there. He's going to get get the volume, he looks in great condition, has the talent, is in a contract year for all intents and purposes,  and has the newfound privilege of playing in a high-octane offense with weapons like Evans, Jackson, and Brate that can stretch the field. Wouldn't be surprised if he outperforms players like Gordon, Ajayi, Howard, Montgomery, Anderson, Miller, etc.

Spot  on !!

58 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

We will have to wait and see

Hyde -has never made it through a full season

TY -got banged up last year and is already having issues.  Love his talent and situation but his body is not meant to be a running back.

Murray- Has 41 carries on the season and Henry has 39 carries on the season.  Sure looks like a time share to me.

Just now, youngrice said:

Hyde -has never made it through a full season

TY -got banged up last year and is already having issues.  Love his talent and situation but his body is not meant to be a running back.

Murray- Has 41 carries on the season and Henry has 39 carries on the season.  Sure looks like a time share to me.

Hyde - This could be the year

TY - I agree, but even with his rib injury I'd still take him over Martin.

Murray - He was injured and being given a lighter load. He is in when it counts, which is why the Henry forum is fun to laugh at.