NBC Sports Edge Forums

Doug Martin 2017 Season Outlook

Doug Martin said he's ready for a larger workload Week 6 against the Cardinals.

Martin admitted to experiencing fatigue midway through the game last week, which was his first action off a three-game ban to open the season. But with 10 days off and able to be around the team instead of forced to stay home, Martin says, "I'm prepared to do everything." Martin looked great against New England with a 13-74-1 line, but most backs have looked good against the Patriots through five weeks. A road date in the desert will be tougher, but Martin is a solid RB2.

Oct 13 - 9:33 AM
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Encouraging. Seemed to be involved inspite of the lopsided score for most of the game.

Ya I thought he'd be left on the sidelines when I saw 21-0. Thought oh great here comes a Charles Sims game... but that TD gave us a nice total. Stat line is nothing to write home about, but Arizona has a solid run defense. Anybody have snap percentage?

1 hour ago, CrastersCreep said:

He looked good out there - although he seems to have some stone hands. I remember him being a better pass catcher but maybe he's just shaking rust off. His runs all looked decisive and powerful. Upside rb2 ROS.

Good observation. I thought the same thing. This will severely cap his upside if he can't catch. He's looked bad the first two weeks trying to catch the football. He caught 40+ passes not too long ago. I know he won't get third-down work and hurry up, but if he can't catch, they will stop throwing it to him for possible 2-3 dump offs/screens a game.

4 minutes ago, jimithing11 said:

Good observation. I thought the same thing. This will severely cap his upside if he can't catch. He's looked bad the first two weeks trying to catch the football. He caught 40+ passes not too long ago. I know he won't get third-down work and hurry up, but if he can't catch, they will stop throwing it to him for possible 2-3 dump offs/screens a game.

It caps his upside in PPR but he still looks like a solid RB2 maybe a high-end RB2 in standard.

16 hours ago, CrastersCreep said:

He looked good out there - although he seems to have some stone hands. I remember him being a better pass catcher but maybe he's just shaking rust off. His runs all looked decisive and powerful. Upside rb2 ROS.

he had 49 recpt his rookie year, and 33 in 2015, and in 2 shorten seasons he was on pace to be around that 33 number before going out.

pretty sure he can catch the ball just fine

14 minutes ago, Panthor said:

he had 49 recpt his rookie year, and 33 in 2015, and in 2 shorten seasons he was on pace to be around that 33 number before going out.

pretty sure he can catch the ball just fine

He's had 3 bad drops so far. I'm well aware of his receiving statistics, just reporting what I've seen.

Winston has an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder.  They say he may be able to play through it as he was able to throw on the sideline Sunday.  But, maybe they will feed Martin in an effort to limit Winston throwing.

Or, the start Fitz....

What are the cons about this guy? What's stopping him from being a FF stud?

Seems like his situation is perfect. I'm on the outside looking in tho, so not entirely sure I covered all bases. But on a high-level, seems like this guy will produce RoS. Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, mvttchew said:

What are the cons about this guy? What's stopping him from being a FF stud?

Lack of involvement in the passing game. He can catch passes but isn't utilized there. Since his rookie year, he has averaged 1.7 receptions a game and this year he has 2 catches in 2 games. The team goes turns to Sims in that role, so it holds Martin back in PPR leagues and also limits him in games where TB is playing catch up. 

42 minutes ago, ESquared said:

Lack of involvement in the passing game. He can catch passes but isn't utilized there. Since his rookie year, he has averaged 1.7 receptions a game and this year he has 2 catches in 2 games. The team goes turns to Sims in that role, so it holds Martin back in PPR leagues and also limits him in games where TB is playing catch up. 

Do they completely eliminate him in the 2 minute drill, hurry up offense, no huddle, etc?  Like they did with Gore/Mack with Turbin? 

1 minute ago, dannyz6969 said:

startable @ BUF? Or bench if you have better options? 

I mean better options sounds nice but depends what they are. Martin will probably have a tough time getting yards against a strong Bills defense but with Bills offense (aka McCoy since he is only weapon left) not that great the game projects to stay close. With Winston hurting Martin may get a little more volume than normal but it also means less holes. Therefore Martin will probably have like a 60yd day (maybe a catch or two with Winston not being able to throw it down the field as effectively) and need a TD to make it respectable. Some may be able to do better than that but there is always the chance Martin breaks a big one or Winston is playing fine (or if he sits and Fitz plays as well as he did last week) providing running room and scoring opportunities for Martin.