NBC Sports Edge Forums

Buster Posey 2017 Outlook

Look....

Buster is one of the classiest dudes in MLB.... Father. Husband. Grown man. Face of MLB. Face of franchise. Generational Player

Strickland is a known hot head. Mediocre arm. 

Teammates will never say it, but they are probably sick of Strickland's act. Contrary to "tough guy rules", it doesn't make you less of a man to let two guys handle a fight. We all have that friend who gets mouthy and causes trouble at bars. This time they let him get punched in the mouth for it.   

I can guarantee that having to be drug off the field by teammates isn't playing well with the rest of the team. Enjoy your new home next year Hunter.   

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Low and Away said:

The second is Strickland told Posey he was going to hit Harper and if Harper charged the mound to just let him. 

Of the two I believe the second rings truer. 

This makes sense to me.

We'll probably never know the truth until Strickland, Posey or Bochy pen their memoirs, but if this alternative theory turns put to be true then, Posey, I apologize for ripping you.

1 hour ago, Stickfig13 said:

Look....

Buster is one of the classiest dudes in MLB.... Father. Husband. Grown man. Face of MLB. Face of franchise. Generational Player

Strickland is a known hot head. Mediocre arm. 

Teammates will never say it, but they are probably sick of Strickland's act. Contrary to "tough guy rules", it doesn't make you less of a man to let two guys handle a fight. We all have that friend who gets mouthy and causes trouble at bars. This time they let him get punched in the mouth for it.   

I can guarantee that having to be drug off the field by teammates isn't playing well with the rest of the team. Enjoy your new home next year Hunter.   

Yeah, and this crap is being carried over from what... 2014? It's unreal. It's so asinine. I can't stand Bryce "Check My Flow" Harper, but I wish he had pummelled Strickland. 

Pitchers need to stop throwing at guys. It's stupid, and is irrelevant to the game. If you really feel the need, you don't do it with a 98MPH fastball. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Just left the game after hitting a home run. Anybody see what happened?

Very strange. Hard to tell. Could be calf, toe, ankle, achilles. Eek, didn't look good walking to locker room. 

2 hours ago, evillaw4eva said:

Posey is soft. Figures

A catcher who played 145+ reg season games (not including playoffs) for 5 straight years is soft? I hope this is sarcasm. Otherwise it's one of the more ridiculous statements I've read 

1 minute ago, Red Sox Nation said:

A catcher who played 145+ reg season games (not including playoffs) for 5 straight years is soft? I hope this is sarcasm. Otherwise it's one of the more ridiculous statements I've read 

Maybe he was talking about that one time when Harper went after Strickland and just stood by, watching...

5 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Maybe he was talking about that one time when Harper went after Strickland and just stood by, watching...

Hard to characterize a person based off of a scenario we personally know nothing about, but I guess that's human nature (im sure ive done it)

Edited by Red Sox Nation
6 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

To characterize a person based off of a situation we know nothing about would be preposterous 

True but it did look bad, there was no way around that. Whatever issues with teammates, that stays in the clubhouse. On the field, team first and you stand by your teammates, especially if you're one of the leaders on the team.

Edited by Gryfter
3 hours ago, Gryfter said:

True but it did look bad, there was no way around that. Whatever issues with teammates, that stays in the clubhouse. On the field, team first and you stand by your teammates, especially if you're one of the leaders on the team.

Are you a pro sports player? I wound't have gone near Harper/Strickland in a losing season when it deals with something that happened 4 years ago. Strickland is a baby and had no business doing what he did. Sometimes standing up for what's right is more important than following along like a lemming.

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Are you a pro sports player? I wound't have gone near Harper/Strickland in a losing season when it deals with something that happened 4 years ago. Strickland is a baby and had no business doing what he did. Sometimes standing up for what's right is more important than following along like a lemming.

I never said he should have gone after Harper, but to try and hold him back and calm him down...and thats a lemming?

I've played organized ball, I've had good (leaders) captains and bad. "Leaders" who wouldve stood pat like you? Yea...not exactly strong leadership.

Edited by Gryfter
On 6/16/2017 at 8:00 AM, Gryfter said:

I never said he should have gone after Harper, but to try and hold him back and calm him down...and thats a lemming?

I've played organized ball, I've had good (leaders) captains and bad. "Leaders" who wouldve stood pat like you? Yea...not exactly strong leadership.

For all we know Strickland is the clubhouse a**hole and Posey thought an a** kicking would do him well.  Good leaders get out of the way all the time.  I do not recall another situation where Posey chose not to intervene so I don't think he's generally a [...] or fragile so much as he made a choice in this situation to let Strickland face Harper alone.  Can't reasonably fault him for that decision without knowing all the details. This is professional baseball not some prison yard gangfight.

SF expect's him to sit the next 2 and hopefully we get him back on Sunday.  Almost not long enough to warrant picking up a backup C in single C leagues with roster pressure.  Would hate for 2 days to turn into 5 and have a goose egg in the lineup that long.  

In shallow 1 catcher leagues Zunino might be available and is on a nice little run.  Could be a good fill-in for a couple of days if he keeps it up.

55 minutes ago, ragrag said:

For all we know Strickland is the clubhouse a**hole and Posey thought an a** kicking would do him well.  Good leaders get out of the way all the time.  I do not recall another situation where Posey chose not to intervene so I don't think he's generally a "pussy" or fragile so much as he made a choice in this situation to let Strickland face Harper alone.  Can't reasonably fault him for that decision without knowing all the details. This is professional baseball not some prison yard gangfight.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

“Well I mean after it happened, I kind of saw Harper point,” Posey told reporters following the Nationals 3-0 win. “Next thing you know, he’s going out after him. Those are some big guys tumbling around on the ground.

“You see Mike Morse, is about as big as they come, and he was getting knocked around like a pinball. So…be a little dangerous to get in there sometimes.”

http://www.knbr.com/2017/05/29/posey-shares-why-he-chose-to-stay-out-of-strickland-and-harper-fight/

And again, I never said he should have gone after Harper; guess trying to hold Harper back to prevent a fight is something that happens in a prison yard gangfight?

2 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Sooooo you think it's good leadership to help someone throw a 90MPH baseball at another guy because someone hit a homerun years ago? I think it's better leadership to not take part - it shows you're above that crap.

1 hour ago, Gryfter said:

Straight from the horse's mouth:

“Well I mean after it happened, I kind of saw Harper point,” Posey told reporters following the Nationals 3-0 win. “Next thing you know, he’s going out after him. Those are some big guys tumbling around on the ground.

“You see Mike Morse, is about as big as they come, and he was getting knocked around like a pinball. So…be a little dangerous to get in there sometimes.”

http://www.knbr.com/2017/05/29/posey-shares-why-he-chose-to-stay-out-of-strickland-and-harper-fight/

And again, I never said he should have gone after Harper; guess trying to hold Harper back to prevent a fight is something that happens in a prison yard gangfight?

Ok, so he said he didn't want to get involved because there are big guys? Makes sense to me. If you were a smaller guy and you were in an altercation with a guy who might completely demolish you, you'd be cool with hanging around? You might have big balls, but you have a small brain.

EDIT: the you is the theoretical you, not you the guy I'm talking to.

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030
14 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Sooooo you think it's good leadership to help someone throw a 90MPH baseball at another guy because someone hit a homerun years ago? I think it's better leadership to not take part - it shows you're above that crap.

No, I never said help. I said to try and prevent...theres a difference. On the field, even if your teammate is at fault, you dont hang him out to dry; you still stick up for him/them, cause "team". Then, once you're in the clubhouse/off the field, you smack the idiot upside the head *maybe not literally* and berate him. Noticed the rest of the team came out...they couldve just ignored and let Harper go to town on him.

44 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

No, I never said help. I said to try and prevent...theres a difference. On the field, even if your teammate is at fault, you dont hang him out to dry; you still stick up for him/them, cause "team". Then, once you're in the clubhouse/off the field, you smack the idiot upside the head *maybe not literally* and berate him. Noticed the rest of the team came out...they couldve just ignored and let Harper go to town on him.

Didn't Morse seriously injure himself in that brawl? If Posey had attempted to defuse by stepping in front of Harper or at least slowing him down that could've prevented an injury. Just another reason you don't let guys charge the mound unimpeded like that, regardless of how you may feel personally towards the pitcher. 

7 hours ago, Gryfter said:

And it resulted in someone getting hurt. Why put yourself at risk over nothing? Posey has defended his teammates plenty of times. 

• 3 weeks later...