NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Melvin Gordon 2017 Outlook

FlashGordon401

10 hours ago, boltup15 said:

He completely benefited from Woodhead getting hurt last season. Woodhead is amazing. But BO is barily a threat. Maybe he takes 30% opportunity share at best. But as I pointed out in Gordon's 2016 Season Outlook, he was used alot as a receiver, which is why I bet on him in ppr last season.

People who are in denial of Gordon this season were in denial last season where they missed out on a top 5 ppr and standard back. Sounds like you are a ypc snob. Let me know how that works out for you. Matt Forte says hi. 

Oh please. Matt Forte never had a year as horrible as Gordon's 2015 campaign. 

One awful year. One great year. People now declare him a first round pick. Good luck with that..

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Oh please. Matt Forte never had a year as horrible as Gordon's 2015 campaign. 

One awful year. One great year. People now declare him a first round pick. Good luck with that..

Gordon was a rookie behind the most devasted o-line in the league. Still, he was not worth the first round pick imo. 

Sounds like you were one one of the guys last season saying Gordon was a bust...

Edited by boltup15

12 minutes ago, MONEY BALL said:

He's not even better than Devonta Freeman, let alone Todd Gurley. And yet, he's being drafted over him too in PPR. 

I smell Lamar Miller 2.0 all over.

Not sure why people always focus so much on a players 'talent' vs the team he is on and how he will be utilized by that team. A mediocre talent can put up solid fantasy on a dynamic offense whereas an exceptional talent can be a complete fantasy dud on a bad offense. 

i was one of those guys who drafted Gordon in his rookie season  and passed up on him his 2nd year. This year i can say i am a bit more confident as a late 1st round pick ahead of Mike Evans but i would still pick McCoy over Gordon. I would be happy either way if i had either or though:D

1 hour ago, MONEY BALL said:

He's not even better than Devonta Freeman, let alone Todd Gurley. And yet, he's being drafted over him too in PPR. 

I smell Lamar Miller 2.0 all over.

I could see Lamar Miller 2.0 if Gordon doesn't get used as heavily in the receiving game as he did last season. Only difference is Gordon will get TD's, Miller on that anemic Texans offense didn't have many chances and isn't a very good goal line back (hence the signing of Foreman). 

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Not sure why people always focus so much on a players 'talent' vs the team he is on and how he will be utilized by that team. A mediocre talent can put up solid fantasy on a dynamic offense whereas an exceptional talent can be a complete fantasy dud on a bad offense. 

Same... it's pretty funny actually. 

Edited by boltup15

6 hours ago, boltup15 said:

I could see Lamar Miller 2.0 if Gordon doesn't get used as heavily in the receiving game as he did last season. Only difference is Gordon will get TD's, Miller on that anemic Texans offense didn't have many chances and isn't a very good goal line back (hence the signing of Foreman). 

Same... it's pretty funny actually. 

Gordon has shown to be able to handle a much bigger load of volume than Miller though. There's no reason to expect less volume and he's in a way better offense than Gurley or Miller. Hence scoring chances. Lamp going down sucks for sure still a top offense. 

27 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I'm almost considering taking Gordon at the 5-spot in a 12 team .5 PPR. I don't like the news of Watkins being gone for McCoy's outlook. Although, McCoy did do quite alright without Watkins last year.

Really? Wow. You must be pretty high on him.

I have the 8th pick in my .5 PPR and I know he'll be there. Idk why I just don't have a great gut feeling about him. I think I would take Freeman over him but I will admit that could end up being a huge mistake by season's end.

Someone give me some optimism on Gordon. I want to like him haha 

6 hours ago, bgar15 said:

Really? Wow. You must be pretty high on him.

I have the 8th pick in my .5 PPR and I know he'll be there. Idk why I just don't have a great gut feeling about him. I think I would take Freeman over him but I will admit that could end up being a huge mistake by season's end.

Someone give me some optimism on Gordon. I want to like him haha 

The Bolts will be in the redzone alot this season + he has no true competition for touches and targets out of the backfield+ no stacked boxes

Can someone explain to me what the worst case for Gordon would be this season besides "injury". He was one of the most consistent fantasy producers last season even with the all dreaded 3.9 ypc... I can't think of a single negative for this guy besides the o-line. Is Branden Oliver suddenly going to eat at his market share and take goal line carries? No.... 

On 8/2/2017 at 6:20 PM, Experienced Rookie said:

Then why didn't he match those numbers in 2015? Similar conditions, right? 

I need to see him crack 4 YPC before I'm sinking a 1st round pick into this chump. He totally benefitted from Woody getting hurt last year. Unless I can get a guarantee that BO is never getting 3rd down work, I'm staying far away. 

No, not similar conditions.

Wisenhunt was brought back as OC prior to 2016 getting rid of incompetent Frank Reich.  Wisenhunt then employed more of a power run scheme.

Additionally, SD further committed to this scheme by drafting Wisky's fullback.  They committed to more downhill running that MG3 was used to a thrived in in college. 

Then you add in the loss of Woodhead (which granted was after the season started) and the only similar conditions in SD were a crappy oline (which had actually been upgraded a bit from 2015 with the addition of Slaussen at center).

This year we have noted running game guru Anthony Lynn calling the shots in SD/LA.  The same guy that orchestrated dominant run games in Buffalo regardless of what RB was taking the ball last year (McCoy, Gillislee).  

5 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

5th overall is too high. You'd need him to improve on last year's numbers by a pretty good bit to justify that and I don't see that happening. He'd have to be elite and not just good.

With Zeke suspended, it isn't too crazy for people to put Gordon as the #3 RB heading into draft. 

High red zone use

Brandon Oliver is no threat

Possibility of improvement in his 3rd year

Chargers commitment to running the ball

The whole group of McCoy/Gordon/Freeman all have their pros and cons. Just depends what you want. I could also see the argument for McCoy and Freeman being put ahead of Gordon.

22 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

With Zeke suspended, it isn't too crazy for people to put Gordon as the #3 RB heading into draft. 

High red zone use

The whole group of McCoy/Gordon/Freeman all have their pros and cons. Just depends what you want. I could also see the argument for McCoy and Freeman being put ahead of Gordon.

Yeah, barring injury, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three. Like you  said, just depends what you want. I would rank them like this:

Safest: Freeman, McCoy, Gordon 

Upside: Gordon, McCoy, Freeman

37 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

High red zone use

Welcome back, @burninglegs

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, Ffguy0087 said:

What?

Explain this please, I just don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Because he will be facing a stacked box since the defense doesn't have to worry about anyone else on that offense.

33 minutes ago, Woonga24 said:

Because he will be facing a stacked box since the defense doesn't have to worry about anyone else on that offense.

He did face a stacked box last year since Watkins was not playing for most of the season. However, I agree with this line of thinking. Jordan Matthews is a good player, but I think the Bills are on the brink of implosion. Watkins being traded was the rebuild signal.

Also, losing Anthony Lynn, Sammy Watkins, and coupled with McCoy's incredibly erratic yearly fantasy and touchdown production, I can comfortably say I'd prefer Gordon as the #3 RB now.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Melvin Gordon 2017 Outlook