NBC Sports Edge Forums

Melvin Gordon 2017 Outlook

59 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Watched the last few games and totally agree that its the OL....Gordon is getting hit before the line...he has to work for every yard with that OL....that being said Ek is stealing some carries but certainly not enough to threaten his job...still like him as a #1 down the stretch.  

Pretty much, Ek got some touches but Gordon still had 20 or so. Still should be a decent RB1 down the stretch.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Man, this guy gets no love around here. Not even a single post in December and last post calling him a plodder. He's had a few down games all season, but has always bounced back with RB1 numbers. He has yet to have two duds in a row.

2 minutes ago, atrium said:

Man, this guy gets no love around here. Not even a single post in December and last post calling him a plodder. He's had a few down games all season, but has always bounced back with RB1 numbers. He has yet to have two duds in a row.

He's not a special runner at all. Nothing flashy and gets the job done occasionally. Reminds me of how people felt about Blount. 

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

He's not a special runner at all. Nothing flashy and gets the job done occasionally. Reminds me of how people felt about Blount. 

I haven't watched him hardly at all this season, but that was my takeaway last season. Definitely a volume based runner.

Still, in fantasy he's a rock star.

Edited by atrium

Surprised I'm the first to post in this thread after the at KC game.

EXTREMELY encouraging game, to say the least. Another fumble by Ekeler and Gordon out-touched him 25-3 in the game.

But that was just the icing on the cake. In a game where the Chargers were almost always trailing, to find a way to put up 78 rushing yards and then go on to be the leading receiver at 6/91, it just puts a smile on your face. He faces a lackluster Jets rush defense in championship week, and will be a top RB1. The man came through when we needed him the most!

wfa.gif

21 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

Surprised I'm the first to post in this thread after the at KC game.

EXTREMELY encouraging game, to say the least. Another fumble by Ekeler and Gordon out-touched him 25-3 in the game.

But that was just the icing on the cake. In a game where the Chargers were almost always trailing, to find a way to put up 78 rushing yards and then go on to be the leading receiver at 6/91, it just puts a smile on your face. He faces a lackluster Jets rush defense in championship week, and will be a top RB1. The man came through when we needed him the most!

wfa.gif

Don't the Jets have a pretty good rush defense?

2 minutes ago, ccimore said:

Don't the Jets have a pretty good rush defense?

The only thing that stoping Gordon is game flow.  Can't see the Jets with Petty getting up so Gordon doesn't get work.

Edited by youngrice
2 minutes ago, youngrice said:

The only thing that stops Hunt is game flow.  Can't see the Jets with Petty getting up so hunt doesn't get work.

Huh?  Aren't we talking about Gordon?  I'm so confused....

Edited by ccimore
  • 3 weeks later...

Yup.  2 seasons in a row this guy has delivered for me.  Forget about the ypc.  That o line is terrible as evidenced by PFF ranking them 26th in the league.  Gordon passes the eyeball test.  He's a beast.  I won't hesitate to draft him again.  

13 hours ago, ccimore said:

Yup.  2 seasons in a row this guy has delivered for me.  Forget about the ypc.  That o line is terrible as evidenced by PFF ranking them 26th in the league.  Gordon passes the eyeball test.  He's a beast.  I won't hesitate to draft him again.  

I think those o-line struggles also perpetuate his success in the passing game.

Melvin Gordon seems like a very vanilla back but yet I see everyone still ranking him as a top 10 RB and a top 20 player.  Seems like the volume and offence is there but he is not real talented.  If you are in a dynasty league and you need a RB and have a lot at WR would you consider trading a talent like Mike Evans for him??

9 hours ago, Elwood333 said:

Melvin Gordon seems like a very vanilla back but yet I see everyone still ranking him as a top 10 RB and a top 20 player.  Seems like the volume and offence is there but he is not real talented.  If you are in a dynasty league and you need a RB and have a lot at WR would you consider trading a talent like Mike Evans for him??

Absolutely.  He is a very talented back actually.  Watch some of his film.  The problem is the o line which ranked 26th this year in run blocking.  He still gets it done.  He was second in the league in broken tackles behind only Kareem Hunt.  He's excellent in the red zone and receiving game. 

Edited by ccimore

Yes there was some ups and downs especially in the receiving game with some goose eggs/ 1 catch games. When it is all said and done, this guy was a rock for those who picked in that late first/ early second round turn. Put up 3 duds in the early/middle of the year, some of those YPCs weren't pretty but overall this dude was every ounce of the workhouse we drafted him to be. Played in all 16 games, no fumbles, 58 receptions. For all the skepticism he received in July/August, I'm glad I had this beast to help win me a league. 

13 hours ago, ccimore said:

Absolutely.  He is a very talented back actually.  Watch some of his film.  The problem is the o line which ranked 26th this year in run blocking.  He still gets it done.  He was second in the league in broken tackles behind only Kareem Hunt.  He's excellent in the red zone and receiving game. 

I ended up trading Evans and Will Fuller for Gordon and Drake.  I feel pretty good about it because I still have Hilton, Jordy, Edelman, Robert Woods, and Corey Davis at WR.  Little old but still enough points to get by.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Melvin Gordon 2017 Outlook