NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

Not many people, if any, can stop Josh Gordon when he's at 100%. He can literally take over a game better than any receiver I've ever seen. (well.. there are a few people as good as JG)... He reminds me of Megatron.

But.. He's got to get on the field first.

Edited by ponza88
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Availability is a skill that Josh Gordon has had trouble developing, that's for sure.

I still drool at the prospects of a return... probably foolish, but been holding so long (dynasty) may as well ride it out. 

On 3/1/2017 at 11:14 AM, BlakeP42 said:

I would think off the top of my head these teams would show interest:

Bears

Eagles

Titans

KC

Redskins

Baltimore

Bengals

Bills

Panthers

BUCS

Hawks

Niners

Forget it guys.

He's under contract with the Browns until he finishes his contract (suspended years do not apply), or the Browns cut him.

He's currently living with his business manager.  

44 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Forget it guys.

He's under contract with the Browns until he finishes his contract (suspended years do not apply), or the Browns cut him.

He's currently living with his business manager.  

While I'm not really one to care too much about Josh Gordon at this point overall, the idea is, Hue Jackson has stated previously he's ready to move on from Gordon.  The Browns still have the rights to Gordon currently, but the kick around with these teams as i did here is with the idea that eventually the Browns will release him, then he will find another team.  No telling really if its going to happen, or if he's even going to get reinstated, but those are the teams i feel could show interest if he hits the open market.  

I do not own Gordon in any dynasty formats and i plan to avoid him regardless if he's reinstated in a redraft.  If he gets reinstated and plays well in 2017 i'd rather see someone else take the chance, at least for FF purposes.  I figure someone across my redraft leagues will get googly big eyes for Gordon far sooner then i will even consider.

Edited by BlakeP42
2 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

While I'm not really one to care too much about Josh Gordon at this point overall, the idea is, Hue Jackson has stated previously he's ready to move on from Gordon.  The Browns still have the rights to Gordon currently, but the kick around with these teams as i did here is with the idea that eventually the Browns will release him, then he will find another team.  No telling really if its going to happen, or if he's even going to get reinstated, but those are the teams i feel could show interest if he hits the open market.  

I do not own Gordon in any dynasty formats and i plan to avoid him regardless if he's reinstated in a redraft.  If he gets reinstated and plays well in 2017 i'd rather see someone else take the chance, at least for FF purposes.  I figure someone across my redraft leagues will get googly big eyes for Gordon far sooner then i will even consider.

Terrelle Prior is testing the open market......tomorrow.  If he walks, you can add WR to the list of problems in Cleveland. 

Their lawyer GM (Sashi Brown) makes all the football decisions.  Hue probably wanted to franchise Prior.

The Browns don't even get a chance to match any offers.  He's been bouncing around the league long enough to be a veteran.  

First team to offer $11 million a year probably gets him.

34 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

Doesn't Josh have to get reinstated before he can be traded? Just asking as I don't know the answer.

Not sure... but I believe a team can trade for his rights.

9 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Not sure... but I believe a team can trade for his rights.

How can two parties agree on fair value for a player who may or may not be eligible to play?

4 minutes ago, jmausen said:

How can two parties agree on fair value for a player who may or may not be eligible to play?

Pretty simple formula:

What is the receiving team willing to gamble and what does the delivering team accept to deal away his upside, but relieve themselves of the headache.

Fair value is simply what the two teams agree upon.

3 minutes ago, Winky said:

Pretty simple formula:

What is the receiving team willing to gamble and what does the delivering team accept to deal away his upside, but relieve themselves of the headache.

Fair value is simply what the two teams agree upon.

Normal trades are hard enough.

Now we throw in the dynamic of future all-pro vs. never playing another down in the NFL.

The chasm is too big.

8 minutes ago, jmausen said:

The chasm is too big.

That certainly may be true today.

If he gets reinstated, his value obviously goes up.

If a trade was to happen before reinstatement, I'd wager a draft pick gets it done (except Cleveland has so many already).

The draft pick is a similar gamble... maybe the player selected is a pro-bowler or maybe he's out of the league in a year.

Everything is speculative.

In dynasty leagues, I'd trade a rookie draft pick for Josh Gordon...

Not a first rounder, but I'd move a 2nd rounder + a roster depth player (bye/injury fill-in type) for the possibility of cashing in on Gordon's upside.

It all depends on each owner's risk appetite, construct of their current rosters, and confidence in their draft skills...

Edited by Winky
58 minutes ago, Winky said:

That certainly may be true today.

If he gets reinstated, his value obviously goes up.

If a trade was to happen before reinstatement, I'd wager a draft pick gets it done (except Cleveland has so many already).

The draft pick is a similar gamble... maybe the player selected is a pro-bowler or maybe he's out of the league in a year.

Everything is speculative.

In dynasty leagues, I'd trade a rookie draft pick for Josh Gordon...

Not a first rounder, but I'd move a 2nd rounder + a roster depth player (bye/injury fill-in type) for the possibility of cashing in on Gordon's upside.

It all depends on each owner's risk appetite, construct of their current rosters, and confidence in their draft skills...

I suppose there are trades with conditional picks based on player performance.

It can be done.

As another person who can't quit Gordon I've been looking for updates on him daily...   Sure he is a huge risk to keep over other players that are much safer but he is also a fair amount better than most wrs when he is "right"...   

He is not a Justin Blackmon type (or possibly Martavis Bryant) as he has been suspended for his mom giving him cough medicine while sick, and drinking a couple beers on a plane after the season with his teammates while he was trying to get back in their good graces being a friendly team guy...  Sure they were dumb mistakes but it's not like he had fighting/gun incidents or "allegedly" killed someone which appear to be less of a big deal than weed to some teams...

I guess I'm just hoping we finally get a nice chapter to this book for a change and outside of Brown/Beckham/Julio and maybe AJ Green/Allen Robinson, there are no other wrs I'd bet on to finish better than Gordon if he ends up on a decent offense and plays 16 games this year...

I can see people being cautious/doubtful of Gordon now but if he is reinstated, goes to a team that will maximise his gifts, appears to have matured, and looks dominant in preseason again, he will deservedly shoot up draft boards and once again break the internet with excitement for September....

Edited by General Gannicus
27 minutes ago, General Gannicus said:

As another person who can't quit Gordon I've been looking for updates on him daily...   Sure he is a huge risk to keep over other players that are much safer but he is also a fair amount better than most wrs when he is "right"...   

He is not a Justin Blackmon type (or possibly Martavis Bryant) as he has been suspended for his mom giving him cough medicine while sick, and drinking a couple beers on a plane after the season with his teammates while he was trying to get back in their good graces being a friendly team guy...  Sure they were dumb mistakes but it's not like he had fighting/gun incidents or "allegedly" killed someone which appear to be less of a big deal than weed to some teams...

I guess I'm just hoping we finally get a nice chapter to this book for a change and outside of Brown/Beckham/Julio and maybe AJ Green/Allen Robinson, there are no other wrs I'd bet on to finish better than Gordon if he ends up on a decent offense and plays 16 games this year...

I can see people being cautious/doubtful of Gordon now but if he is reinstated, goes to a team that will maximise his gifts, appears to have matured, and looks dominant in preseason again, he will deservedly shoot up draft boards and once again break the internet with excitement for September....

That's at least 4 "ifs" away from relevance -- assuming a 5th "if" (no further suspensions) happens. 

37 minutes ago, General Gannicus said:

Josh Gordon is a scrub.  He kept the Browns from making the playoffs in 2014.

2014 Browns:

C/ATT   YDS    AVG    TD INT SACKS QBR    RTG
Week 1    @PIT    L 30-27    0-1    Brian Hoyer    24/40    204    5.1       1    0    1-2    73.0    81.7
Week 2    NO       W 26-24   1-1    Brian Hoyer    19/25    290    11.6      1    0    0-0    82.0    127.1
Week 3    BAL      L 23-21    1-2    Brian Hoyer    19/25    290    11.6      1    0    0-0    82.0    127.1
Week 4    BYE
Week 5    @TEN  W 29-28   2-2    Brian Hoyer    21/37    291    7.9        3    1    1-7    85.7    97.9
Week 6    PIT      W 31-10    3-2    Brian Hoyer    8/17      217    12.8      1    0    1-7    78.9    113.0
Week 7    @JAX   L 24-6      3-3    Brian Hoyer    16/41    215    5.2        0    1    3-18    11.6    46.3
Week 8    OAK     W 23-13   4-3    Brian Hoyer    19/28    275    9.8        1    0    1-8    59.8    111.5
Week 9    TB       W 22-17    5-3    Brian Hoyer    21/34    300    8.8        2    2    4-26    21.9    85.4
Week 10    @CIN W 24-3     6-3    Brian Hoyer    15/23    198    8.6        0    0    0-0    63.5    92.3
Week 11    HOU   L 23-7      6-4    Brian Hoyer    20/50    330    6.6        1    1    3-20    26.7    61.3

JOSH GORDON REINSTATED FROM SUSPENSION AND CANNOT RUN CORRECT ROUTES

Week 12 @ATL    W 26-24   7-4    Brian Hoyer    23/40    322    8.1        0    3    1-9    35.4    52.3
Week 13 @BUF   L 26-10    7-5    Brian Hoyer    18/30    192    6.4         0    2    2-14    32.0    51.0
Week 14 IND       L 25-24     7-6    Brian Hoyer    13/30    136    4.5         0    2    1-3    13.8    29.3
Week 15 CIN       L 30-0       7-7    Johnny Manziel10/18    80    4.4         0    2    3-26    1.0    27.3
Week 16 @CAR    L 17-13   7-8    Brian Hoyer      7/13     134    10.3      1    1   3-22    22.4    83.5
Week 17 @BAL    L 20-10    7-9    Connor Shaw   14/28    177    6.3       0    1    4-27    22.1    55.2

6 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

"Josh Gordon is a scrub"... You have officially lost all credibility. 

Data sucks.

In 2014, the Browns had 11TDs and 5 INTs before Gordon came back from his suspension.

Then he was their starting "X" who ran the wrong routes.  

The team finished the season with 1 TD and 11 INTs over their final 6 games because where Gordon was supposed to be, there were only defenders.

7-4 became 7-9 and they blew a great chance to make the playoffs.

You can like him all you want.  I don't have to.

3 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Data sucks.

In 2014, the Browns had 11TDs and 5 INTs before Gordon came back from his suspension.

The team finished the season with 1 TD and 11 INTs over their final 6 games because where Gordon was supposed to be, there were only defenders.

Okay :-)

Data sucks.

Care to post his stats from 2013? No "scrub" has ever posted a statline like that in 14 games.

Yes that was years ago and who knows if he can ever reach those levels again. But you can't just post his worst year and call him a scrub while ignoring the prior year and pretending it doesn't exist. 1600 yards in 14 games is elite level production.

Basing your whole argument on a down year when it's one of two, and the other is spectacular is an invalid argument.

1 minute ago, Winky said:

Scrub must be another word for pothead.

Yes, Josh Gordon is a scrub.

Martavis Bryant didn't become epically bad while he was rockin the ganj. 

Everyone chooses to forget 2014 Josh Gordon ever happened.  Why is that? 

Martavis Bryant didn't become epically bad while he was rockin the ganj. 

Everyone chooses to forget 2014 Josh Gordon ever happened.  Why is that? 

This is a good and relevant point.  Gordon was atrocious when he returned from suspension in 2014.  Not saying it's impossible but the expectation that he returns to his 2013 form after a 3+ year layoff from NFL activities is more wishful thinking than not.

2 hours ago, jmausen said:

Josh Gordon is a scrub.  He kept the Browns from making the playoffs in 2014.

2014 Browns:

C/ATT   YDS    AVG    TD INT SACKS QBR    RTG
Week 1    @PIT    L 30-27    0-1    Brian Hoyer    24/40    204    5.1       1    0    1-2    73.0    81.7
Week 2    NO       W 26-24   1-1    Brian Hoyer    19/25    290    11.6      1    0    0-0    82.0    127.1
Week 3    BAL      L 23-21    1-2    Brian Hoyer    19/25    290    11.6      1    0    0-0    82.0    127.1
Week 4    BYE
Week 5    @TEN  W 29-28   2-2    Brian Hoyer    21/37    291    7.9        3    1    1-7    85.7    97.9
Week 6    PIT      W 31-10    3-2    Brian Hoyer    8/17      217    12.8      1    0    1-7    78.9    113.0
Week 7    @JAX   L 24-6      3-3    Brian Hoyer    16/41    215    5.2        0    1    3-18    11.6    46.3
Week 8    OAK     W 23-13   4-3    Brian Hoyer    19/28    275    9.8        1    0    1-8    59.8    111.5
Week 9    TB       W 22-17    5-3    Brian Hoyer    21/34    300    8.8        2    2    4-26    21.9    85.4
Week 10    @CIN W 24-3     6-3    Brian Hoyer    15/23    198    8.6        0    0    0-0    63.5    92.3
Week 11    HOU   L 23-7      6-4    Brian Hoyer    20/50    330    6.6        1    1    3-20    26.7    61.3

JOSH GORDON REINSTATED FROM SUSPENSION AND CANNOT RUN CORRECT ROUTES

Week 12 @ATL    W 26-24   7-4    Brian Hoyer    23/40    322    8.1        0    3    1-9    35.4    52.3
Week 13 @BUF   L 26-10    7-5    Brian Hoyer    18/30    192    6.4         0    2    2-14    32.0    51.0
Week 14 IND       L 25-24     7-6    Brian Hoyer    13/30    136    4.5         0    2    1-3    13.8    29.3
Week 15 CIN       L 30-0       7-7    Johnny Manziel10/18    80    4.4         0    2    3-26    1.0    27.3
Week 16 @CAR    L 17-13   7-8    Brian Hoyer      7/13     134    10.3      1    1   3-22    22.4    83.5
Week 17 @BAL    L 20-10    7-9    Connor Shaw   14/28    177    6.3       0    1    4-27    22.1    55.2

The last four teams the Browns faced that season all made the playoffs.  Buffalo had the third best defense (yards against).

The only playoff teams CLE beat that year were the steelers and the bengals, whom they also lost to.

In addition, they lost Jordan Cameron before that losing streak along with Miles Austin and they were dealing with a new OC and QB that season.

Their losing streak had to do with multiple factors, not just Josh Gordon.