NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

7 minutes ago, dashoe said:

some addicts can channel their destructive addictive behavior to things like marathons or tough mudders, i know a couple who did that

And some addicts just can't stop drafting Josh Gordon on their fantasy teams. I need help.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

And some addicts just can't stop drafting Josh Gordon on their fantasy teams. I need help.

And just after we got over our Percy Harvin addiction, which was in many ways not as pathetic because Harvin did play in real football games every once in a while.

I know rules are rules but this one is puzzling. 

JG hasn't failed a test in how many years as far as we know?

Somehow daryl washington got in.

Anyways, I think we can call it a career for josh gordon.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
3 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

I know rules are rules but this one is puzzling. 

JG hasn't failed a test in how many years as far as we know?

Somehow daryl washington got in.

Anyways, I think we can call it a career for josh gordon.

He's been banned 4 times.  Three times for marijuana, and another for getting a DUI while on reinstatement probation.

Usually three strikes is out.  He got a 4th chance.  

The NFL is a business and needs to protect their brand.  Goal is $25 billion annual revenue.  Thugs are not the target consumer.

34 minutes ago, jmausen said:

He's been banned 4 times.  Three times for marijuana, and another for getting a DUI while on reinstatement probation.

The NFL is a business and needs to protect their brand.  Goal is $25 billion annual revenue.  Thugs are not the target consumer.

A thug is a violent person/criminal. Josh Gordon is far from a thug.  A substance abuse problem does not make you a thug or the 3million prescription drug abusers would be thugs too.  NFL players addicted to opiates are not banned by the league because prescription opiates are allowed.

Josh Gordon is an addict plain and simple and it's obvious he has been trying for years to deal with his addiction. You cant have contempt for a man who is trying to change his negative addiction problem.

I agree with you that the NFL is a business and must protect it's interests. They dont owe Josh anything

Edited by dashoe
2 hours ago, jmausen said:

Just hope the NFLPA crushes Roger and co. in the latest case.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
5 hours ago, jmausen said:

Fans want him on the field.  Trust me, zero people will stop watching the NFL if they reinstate him after all this time.  He's all upside when it comes to revenue too.

If they didn't permanently ban him already and he hasnt committed another offense, then he's done his time.  Why are they stringing him along?  If its supposed to be 3 strikes and he's already had 4, whey didn't they permanently boot him?

And also, this is America 2017, not only is it likely that about 50% of NFL players smoke pot...its also likely that 95% of the fans not give a **** if they do...and on top of that, Josh Gordon's play on the field clearly was never affected by whatever problems he has at home...so why did we care so much?

It is a complete longshot, but maybe Goodell is really testing whether Gordon is committed to staying clean.

Did Gordon raise the roof after this news or is he staying the sobriety course?

I agree that fans want to see Gordon and the vast majority of fans don't care about weed.

Domestic Violence and Murder are bigger stains on the NFL's reputation than weed.

If the NFL is going to be religious around weed & alcohol, then it should shore up or, at least, enforce its policies around steroids and team distributed pain-killers.

Edited by Winky
1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I will still be here waiting for Josh come the Fall. I will never abandon him!

You and Johnny Manziel. 

Season outlook = bonghits on the couch + 800 yards of Doritos

• 5 weeks later...

There was a rumor that Mr Goodell took some backlash when he denied him in May. The sentiment was you can beat a woman, drive under the influence, etc but if you smoke pot you are forever banned. I wouldnt be shocked at all if he is reinstated in Sept. 

Then the question becomes who takes the risk as a team? I hear he is broke and dire need of money. Ive also read since he left the rehabd center he has been clean and tested clean. 

Who knows. But I find it really funny that you can be involved in bar fights, beat the crap out of a woman and drink and drive and you can play but you smoke weed your not eligible to ever play again. 

53 minutes ago, DLB4ever said:

Who knows. But I find it really funny that you can be involved in bar fights, beat the crap out of a woman and drink and drive and you can play but you smoke weed your not eligible to ever play again. 

Why do you and everyone else keep framing it like this? 

A rule is a rule. 

If a woman abuser beat women and was arrested 4 different times I can assure you that he wouldn't be playing in the NFL either. 

If a player drove drunk and was arrested 4 different times same story. 

This man is not a martyr on a cross dying for your sins. He's a knucklehead that couldn't stop breaking the rules. 

I don't smoke, I also have no issue with those that do as long as they don't drive, it doesn't mean they should be allowed to break the rules their billion dollar organization sets forth for them. 

Until the NFLPA changes the rules, the rules are the rules. By the way, people also get killed by people who drive under the influence (DUI). Josh was arrested for that. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
17 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

A rule is a rule. 

If a woman abuser beat women and was arrested 4 different times I can assure you that he wouldn't be playing in the NFL either. 

If a player drove drunk and was arrested 4 different times same story. 

This man is not a martyr on a cross dying for your sins. He's a knucklehead that couldn't stop breaking the rules. 

I don't smoke, I also have no issue with those that do as long as they don't drive, it doesn't mean they should be allowed to break the rules their billion dollar organization sets forth for them. 

Until the NFLPA changes the rules, the rules are the rules. By the way, people also get killed by people who drive under the influence (DUI). Josh was arrested for that. 

and several incidents of

"associating with Johnny Manziel"  - A misdemeanor in 42 states :D

17 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

A rule is a rule. 

It's the hypocrisy of the rule that most people take issue with.  Team doctors will dump bottles of painkillers down players' throats but a guy will be denied his right to earn a living for smoking a bit of a plant.  It's authoritarian and archaic. 

My issue with the NFL is if they make it a policy to use off field conduct and behavior as a stipulation for employment be it smoking, bar fights, domestic issues, etc then they should also make it a policy to provide professional assistance in those areas as well. Meaning in the case of Josh Gordon  if you know a player is an addict then provide that player with the resources to deal with the addiction vs simply warning them and kicking them out of the league. That does not manage addiction and that is not helping them.  if your policy is to allow opiate use  which  can lead to addiction, then provide the resources for your players to avoid or manage potential addiction issues.  If ur administering drug tests then provide treatment to the best addiction facilities in the country if  players fail the test.

Football is a a physical game of aggression and pain and injury are a couple of the byproducts. So help players manage that so that aggression and pain does not adversely affect their domestic lives.

The NFL practices cherry picking vs comprehensive solutions

Edited by dashoe
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

It's the hypocrisy of the rule that most people take issue with.  Team doctors will dump bottles of painkillers down players' throats but a guy will be denied his right to earn a living for smoking a bit of a plant.  It's authoritarian and archaic. 

One is legal (if given by a doctor), the other is not.   But laws are changing in many states.

In September of last year, Ohio legalized medical marijuana.  What if Josh Gordon got a prescription?  After all players are allowed to use amphetamines and opioids if they have a prescription, so why not marijuana?

I would think Gordon could find a doctor that would diagnose him with " pain that is either chronic and severe or intractable" or "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" (CTE).

http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/patients-caregivers

But Marijuana remains on the NFL's "Banned Substance List", even though amphetamines are not.  Some NFL player should really challenge that.  Maybe in court.

1 minute ago, Iron-cock said:

One is legal (if given by a doctor), the other is not.   But laws are changing in many states.

In September of last year, Ohio legalized medical marijuana.  What if Josh Gordon got a prescription?  After all players are allowed to use amphetamines and opioids if they have a prescription, so why not marijuana?

I would think Gordon could find a doctor that would diagnose him with " pain that is either chronic and severe or intractable" or "chronic traumatic encephalopathy" (CTE).

http://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov/patients-caregivers

But Marijuana remains on the NFL's "Banned Substance List", even though amphetamines are not.  Some NFL player should really challenge that.  Maybe in court.

NFL won't change policy until Federal laws change; it's too sensitive a topic and the NFL is not an organization to lead change, they follow

19 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I don't either.  Not my thing.  The Gordon situation annoys me as a fan, and my annoyance is both with the league and the player.  Gordon for not being able to control himself, and the league for not helping get this kids s--- together and not modernizing their drug policy.  I don't think players should be associating with drug dealers, but if weed is legal in a state, and a player has a prescription he should be able to use it.

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

I understand your point and I empathize with it.

At the end of the day however, one is administered legally through a highly regulated board of medical practice in America. 

One method is illegal and administered through "street purchases"  that support who knows what that brought the drug onto the "street"  in the first place. 

I'm not against medical Marijuana at all to help these players with their issues if it's administered through the right channels and approved by the organization that pays these players. 

Today, unfortunately, the latter is not. The NFLPA needs to fight harder for them, that is their job, and they aren't. 

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

My issue with the NFL is if they make it a policy to use off field conduct and behavior as a stipulation for employment be it smoking, bar fights, domestic issues, etc then they should also make it a policy to provide professional assistance in those areas as well. Meaning in the case of Josh Gordon  if you know a player is an addict then provide that player with the resources to deal with the addiction vs simply warning them and kicking them out of the league. That does not manage addiction and that is not helping them.  if your policy is to allow opiate use  which  can lead to addiction, then provide the resources for your players to avoid or manage potential addiction issues.  If ur administering drug tests then provide treatment to the best addiction facilities in the country if  players fail the test.

Football is a a physical game of aggression and pain and injury are a couple of the byproducts. So help players manage that so that aggression and pain does not adversely affect their domestic lives.

I don't disagree with you. I feel an organization as powerful as the NFL should provide help. That said, I'm not completely convinced they offer zero help like many would imply. 

I will also say that If someone wants help, especially if they have the resources an NFL player has I find it extremely difficult to believe they have no other recourse except to use and abuse because there's no other way. 

When I was younger I worked at a job where we shipped things via forklifts onto 18 wheelers. We were demanded to be fast AF and get that stuff loaded. We drove wild and wreck less to meet quotas and time frames allotted. As you might imagine when 25 people are driving crazy in overlapping spaces sometimes there were accidents. 

Whenever there was an accident that was bad enough to halt production then that person(S) would have to leave work and take a drug test. If you were found with drugs or even legal alcohol in your system you were immediately terminated. Maybe it wasn't fair, but those were the rules in place and we all knew them. I saw good men with families hit the unemployment line. No one fought for us or cried out on our behalf. Bottom line, life isn't always fair. You have to understand the rules in place set forth by your organization and abide by them if you want to stay employed by your organization. 

16 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I don't disagree with you. I feel an organization as powerful as the NFL should provide help. That said, I'm not completely convinced they offer zero help like many would imply. 

Not to veer too far off the topic i don't think the NFL has a good history of being  a helpful partner or steward of players until things reach a crisis level, public sentiment shift  or it becomes a legal issue. The basis would be how the NFL has dealt with concussions being harmful to players something they have known about and even "officially"  investigated since the 1990's but only in the last few years due to lawsuits and bad pr did they reach $1bln settlement on the issue and implement a stronger concussion protocol.  They were in offical denial for years even in the face of increasing scientific evidence.

He will be reinstated this season. Write it down. 

Then the question is what do teams do with him?? Does Clev keep him in the mix? Do they release just because they dont want to risk him falling off the wagon?? Who jumps are the chance to sign him or does anyone??