NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

ponza88

22 hours ago, IT8 said:

Addiction is a copout concept in the case of most substances, especially cannabis.  

Weed isn't physically addictive, but like anything, it can be psychologically addicting. Of course, that doesn't mean it should be banned any more than video games or stamp collecting. 

11 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

I dont get addicts. Especially marijuana addicts. I've been smoking ever since I was 14 in Middle school with the homies, but I can honestly say Im not an addict. I to could go cold turkey whenever I want, and I have too many times. I dont get how you really become a weed addict. 

Translation: I have no empathy and can't comprehend the notion that other people are different than I am. 

As for Gordon, I wouldn't count him out yet, I'd still say 50-50 he gets reinstated. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

I wish I could post it in here, but Google "Half Baked Bob Saget." His quote from that movie is the most accurate and funny description of "weed addicts."

Believe it or not, I've never sat down and watched the movie, only scenes. I watched the clip so now it's on the queue for the weekend.

2 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Believe it or not, I've never sat down and watched the movie, only scenes. I watched the clip so now it's on the queue for the weekend.

It has its funny moments. I mean, its Dave Chappelle. But its also a typical cheesy stoner movie.

The NFL's marijuana policy is player friendly. You're only tested once a year and that's at the beginning of mini camp. If you pass that you're good to go for the rest of they year. If you somehow failed that you enter an intervention program (discreetly not even your coaches know about it) where you're subject to testing for 90 days. If you pass that you exit that program and go back to the once a year thing without anything ever being reported.

You have to be a complete moron to keep getting caught under this policy. Josh Gordon's case isn't even about addiction it's about stupidity. Aaron Hernandez smoked weed just about everyday and even he never was caught. You can make excuses for the guy all you want but these are the facts. He is a complete moron on top of being a pot head. That's the kind of guy I don't want on my team.

Edited by Cdub2k

19 hours ago, IT8 said:

Is marijuana "ruining his life" in any way, other than his job in the NFL?  If you want to consider that "ruined."  What else in Josh Gordon's life is so out of control because of marijuana?  

The concept of addiction is used as a weapon towards athletes.  Read Josh Gordon's letter.  It paints a far more nuanced and realistic picture of what is going on.  

Arrested for DUI. 

Wait until he's out of money. I'm sure it'll get worse 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

22 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

The NFL's marijuana policy is player friendly. You're only tested once a year and that's at the beginning of mini camp. If you pass that you're good to go for the rest of they year. If you somehow failed that you enter an intervention program (discreetly not even your coaches know about it) where you're subject to testing for 90 days. If you pass that you exit that program and go back to the once a year thing without anything ever being reported.

You have to be a complete moron to keep getting caught under this policy. Josh Gordon's case isn't even about addiction it's about stupidity. Aaron Hernandez smoked weed just about everyday and even he never was caught. You can make excuses for the guy all you want but these are the facts. He is a complete moron on top of being a pot head. That's the kind of guy I don't want on my team.

Adiction is not about being a moron or a genius.  For the reasons you have stated, Gordon acting against what one would view as normal  best interests such as keeping ones income and livelihhod, demonstrate the level of his addiction. A non addict wouldnt keep harming himself again and again and again. An addict will. Whatever his issues were he kept turning to  substance abuse regardless of consequences.

Hopefully his recent treatment has helped him to manage the destructive nature f his addiction.

19 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Arrested for DUI. 

Wait until he's out of money. I'm sure it'll get worse 

Yeah sadly when resources run out addicts wiil resort to deperate measures to feed their addictions and they become a  to themselves and others

So, Gordon can apply for reinstatement in September, after most fantasy drafts have taken place. That means we will have to draft Gordon based purely on rumors, leaks, and speculation. 

Assuming nothing changes between now and then, where, if at all, would you draft Josh Gordon? If reinstated, he's a league winner type of player. By the end of the season he could be the best player on your team. If he's not reinstated you completely wasted that draft pick, but could immediately drop him and move on. In keeper leagues, you can acquire an mvp type player for peanuts, but then what do you do with him? I guess the question is, in what round would the gamble be worth it?

For me, I think round 7th is where I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on Josh Gordon. That's about where the players being drafted are not likely going to be difference makers on your team. They are startable, but you're not going to be excited about starting them. Generally speaking I don't think there's going to be significant regret about missing out on player X that you could've drafted in round 7 or later. There may be a couple later round players that exceed expectations, but many of those players are just as likely to be bench fillers or dropped altogether at some point. Drafting Josh Gordon in round 7 or later is a low risk, extremely high reward scenario. If he's reinstated, you've got the steal of the draft. If he's not reinstated, you missed out on Pierre Garcon.

23 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

So, Gordon can apply for reinstatement in September, after most fantasy drafts have taken place. That means we will have to draft Gordon based purely on rumors, leaks, and speculation. 

Assuming nothing changes between now and then, where, if at all, would you draft Josh Gordon? If reinstated, he's a league winner type of player. By the end of the season he could be the best player on your team. If he's not reinstated you completely wasted that draft pick, but could immediately drop him and move on. In keeper leagues, you can acquire an mvp type player for peanuts, but then what do you do with him? I guess the question is, in what round would the gamble be worth it?

For me, I think round 7th is where I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on Josh Gordon. That's about where the players being drafted are not likely going to be difference makers on your team. They are startable, but you're not going to be excited about starting them. Generally speaking I don't think there's going to be significant regret about missing out on player X that you could've drafted in round 7 or later. There may be a couple later round players that exceed expectations, but many of those players are just as likely to be bench fillers or dropped altogether at some point. Drafting Josh Gordon in round 7 or later is a low risk, extremely high reward scenario. If he's reinstated, you've got the steal of the draft. If he's not reinstated, you missed out on Pierre Garcon.

i wont draft The Great Josh Gordon. I am the only true believer in my league.  i will pick him up off of waivers because i will have have every alert on every stream of news with his name so i can pick him up when it hits the tape

Just now, JSA2422 said:

is this guy actually being drafted? I would assume you'll be able to find him on the WW. 

I can't imagine why you wouldn't draft him, assuming at the time of your draft his reinstatement is an unknown. Why would you draft waiver wire fodder when you could draft a potential season changer? How are you going to feel if someone else drafts Gordon with their last pick, then two days later his reinstatement is announced? You could get a legit WR1 while your opponents are drafting backup TEs and kickers.

Personally, I may be willing to gamble on him much earlier than that. I'm a sucker for upside, especially when the risk is so minimal. I just have a feeling Goodell is going to reinstate him. He wants to change the "No Fun League" perception. Already re-allowing TD celebrations, and there are rumblings about a more lenient marijuana policy. 

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I can't imagine why you wouldn't draft him, assuming at the time of your draft his reinstatement is an unknown. Why would you draft waiver wire fodder when you could draft a potential season changer? How are you going to feel if someone else drafts Gordon with their last pick, then two days later his reinstatement is announced? You could get a legit WR1 while your opponents are drafting backup TEs and kickers.

Personally, I may be willing to gamble on him much earlier than that. I'm a sucker for upside, especially when the risk is so minimal. I just have a feeling Goodell is going to reinstate him. He wants to change the "No Fun League" perception. Already re-allowing TD celebrations, and there are rumblings about a more lenient marijuana policy. 

yes I can see him being drafted 10+ in the lotto tier ..maybe 8th if you want to forgo the 'golden' cuffs and rookies. 

4 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Suppose Adam Schefter tweets mid-August that sources are telling him Gordon will be reinstated and eligible to play week 1, but the official announcement won't come util after your draft? Where would you draft him?

I take Schefter as an official announcement so hmm maybe 6th round? 7th? can't remember the last time I saw this guy play ..nor do I know who the QB on the Browns is. 

18 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

I take Schefter as an official announcement so hmm maybe 6th round? 7th? can't remember the last time I saw this guy play ..nor do I know who the QB on the Browns is. 

no guarantee he would be playing for the Browns if he did come back right?

23 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

This isn't 2013. Gordon isn't winning any of his owners leagues, and is a wasted pick anywhere before the 15th round of competitive 12-team leagues. And that's assuming he ever gets reinstated. 

Drafting him last year cost you a shot at a legit lottery ticket like Michael Thomas, Davante Adams (full disclosure, I didn't believe in them this time a year ago) or Stefon Diggs late in drafts. 

46 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

This isn't 2013. Gordon isn't winning any of his owners leagues, and is a wasted pick anywhere before the 15th round of competitive 12-team leagues. And that's assuming he ever gets reinstated. 

Drafting him last year cost you a shot at a legit lottery ticket like Michael Thomas, Davante Adams (full disclosure, I didn't believe in them this time a year ago) or Stefon Diggs late in drafts. 

Josh was DOA before wk 4 last season so u still could have picked adams+ thomas off the waivers by then, i got diigs+ adams off waivers and passed on thomas like an idiot because of my silly bias against flavor of the week saints wr's

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Couldn't disagree more. Gordon's only 26, still in his prime physically. Might even be in better shape now than he was in 2013. Playing WR in 2017 is no different than it was in 2013. If Gordon gets reinstated there's no reason to think he won't dominate again. Might take a few weeks to shake off the rust, but by seasons end he'd be a superstar again.

13 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Couldn't disagree more. Gordon's only 26, still in his prime physically. Might even be in better shape now than he was in 2013. Playing WR in 2017 is no different than it was in 2013. If Gordon gets reinstated there's no reason to think he won't dominate again. Might take a few weeks to shake off the rust, but by seasons end he'd be a superstar again.

No way. Three years away from the NFL and all of the training, programs, and supports they have. Three years away from new players in the league, from playbooks, from film study, from everything about professional football. There's no way he'd walk right in and make things work. This is professional level sports we are talking about.

12 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Good luck. History isn't on his side. His 2014 would be his ceiling after not playing in 2+ yrs (hint: that's not good). 

He defied the odds in 2013, but that was 4 years and a lot of weed ago. 

26 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

No way. Three years away from the NFL and all of the training, programs, and supports they have. Three years away from new players in the league, from playbooks, from film study, from everything about professional football. There's no way he'd walk right in and make things work. This is professional level sports we are talking about.

I didn't say "he'd walk right in and make things work". I said it might take a few weeks to shake off the rust. Maybe it takes half the season. But assuming he has stayed in shape physically, and it appears he has, those same traits that made him dominant before, his size, speed, and strength, are still there. Potentially even more so. 

Do you think studying game film is what made Gordon dominant before? Or the "training, programs, and supports" he had, whatever that means. Gordon dominated because he's an incredible physical specimen who simply can't be covered by most NFL DBs, plain and simple. So, unless there's been an influx of DBs over the last couple years that can cover a guy like Gordon, I don't see why he can't still be huge, have a huge catch radius, run fast, out muscle defenders, and score touchdowns.

18 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I didn't say "he'd walk right in and make things work". I said it might take a few weeks to shake off the rust. Maybe it takes half the season. But assuming he has stayed in shape physically, and it appears he has, those same traits that made him dominant before, his size, speed, and strength, are still there. Potentially even more so. 

Do you think studying game film is what made Gordon dominant before? Or the "training, programs, and supports" he had, whatever that means. Gordon dominated because he's an incredible physical specimen who simply can't be covered by most NFL DBs, plain and simple. So, unless there's been an influx of DBs over the last couple years that can cover a guy like Gordon, I don't see why he can't still be huge, have a huge catch radius, run fast, out muscle defenders, and score touchdowns.

I don't think it's that easy as you get older and have a history of drug/substance abuse. 3 years away from the game changes everything. He wasn't even good when he came back at the end of 2014 after missing time. Yes, he is big and strong and fast, but many players before him have had similar traits and have failed spectacularly. It takes more than just physical stature and athleticism.