NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you liked what AJ Green did under Hue Jackson in 2015 then you should be excited as possible about Gordon being on the field.

40 offensive passing plays? Gordon is as fresh as it gets, 40 plays supposed to be a lot to this beast? Look at his highlights, he is bigger than anyone tackling him, unless he takes some vicious hit i dont see why he cant play every passing snap.

I hope Rivers puts up 50 on Cleveland. Maybe Kizer will throw it 50 times. I think Gordon even plays in garbage time. This guy isnt coming back from injury, he is healthy, in his physical prime, a matchup nightmare. All that and everybody knows that live game repetitions is what all players need, the more the better. Players want to put impressive game on film, coaches want players to get snaps for constant evaluation, gaining experience, remaining competitive.

Ive yet to see a valid argument why Josh would leave the field at all on sunday unless he is tired or injured.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
8 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Kizer has averaged over 200 yards a game and about 18 completions a game the last 4 weeks. Outside of Coleman there is no one else on the team that is going to get more targets than Gordon. 

I don't have a problem with 15ypc, I have  big problem with thinking he gets just 5 targets and 3 completions. I know Vegas has set that as the line, but I think it goes over. I also think the Browns will target Gordon deep at least twice in the game and if one of those gets completed we are looking at a really big game. 

You said you were looking for a playmaker this week, I can't imagine a player with bigger playmaker ability than Gordon in  your WR3/Flex spot. 

FYI

I’m going with

Engram (TE)

Crowder (WR)

Hill (WR)

I’m not happy with Engram, but he has a better matchup (Raiders) than Gordon.  Both QB aren’t great but the Giants throw significantly more than the Browns.

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

FYI

I’m going with

Engram (TE)

Crowder (WR)

Hill (WR)

I’m not happy with Engram, but he has a better matchup (Raiders) than Gordon.  Both QB aren’t great but the Giants throw significantly more than the Browns.

Gene Smith at the helm though, coming out of mothballs 

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

FYI

I’m going with

Engram (TE)

Crowder (WR)

Hill (WR)

Has Geno Smith been throwing to Engram on the practice squad? That has the potential to backfire big time. 

11 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I’ve heard conflicting information on weather Gordon will be limited.  Obviously I’m assuming he will be limited in his first game back.

Hope this helps. Snaps played.

Ricardo Louis WR 527 69.34% 0 0% 57 18.39% Ricardo Louis 2017 game-by-game snap counts 
Kenny Britt WR 340 44.74% 0 0% 1 .32% Kenny Britt 2017 game-by-game snap counts 
Corey Coleman WR 205 26.97%

I’m looking for Colemans stats on his first game back...

I did find Gordon has a 17.1 ave. for receptions (career)

Your Josh Gordon credibility is shot. Please stop posting analytics on his thread or your speculations. You’re the reason it’s on the brink of getting shut down. Outrageous.  

25 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Good lord, that does not even look real

That was Aquib Talib too. Held his hand like a small child and walked him to the kiddie pool.

1 minute ago, HarambeLives said:

Your Josh Gordon credibility is shot. Please stop posting analytics on his thread or your speculations. You’re the reason it’s on the brink of getting shut down. Outrageous.  

You’re nuts!  Speculation + analystics is why this forum exists.

If anything the moderator would get upset about saying who I’m starting over Gordon.  I responded to a direct question when giving that information.

Everyone has to decide for themselves if they have someone better or safer to start than Gordon.

In my posts I include actual facts (+ speculation) rather than just throwing up crazy numbers.

The actually snaps played by other Browns receivers is relevant when trying to figure out how much Gordon will play.

19 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I’ve heard conflicting information on weather Gordon will be limited.  Obviously I’m assuming he will be limited in his first game back.

Hope this helps. Snaps played.

Ricardo Louis WR 527 69.34% 0 0% 57 18.39% Ricardo Louis 2017 game-by-game snap counts 
Kenny Britt WR 340 44.74% 0 0% 1 .32% Kenny Britt 2017 game-by-game snap counts 
Corey Coleman WR 205 26.97%

I’m looking for Colemans stats on his first game back...

I did find Gordon has a 17.1 ave. for receptions (career)

I think you need to stop with the math and work on your GOOGLE SKILLS :D

Hue Jackson almost fell out of his chair Thursday when asked if he'll start Josh Gordon Sunday against the Chargers.

"Heck yeah, are you kidding me?'' he said with a laugh. "Yeah, he's going to start  -- right away. I'm kind of surprised you'd ask. You have to play your good players, right?''

"Let it rip,'' said Jackson. "Pitch count? With this guy (laughter)? No, it has been what? Three years? I want three years of that pitch count back out there right now. No, he's done a good job this week. He's worked extremely hard. I think he's excited about playing. It'll be a big day for him. Again, I don't want to make it too big at the same time.

"We're not going to force balls,'' said Jackson. "Our quarterback still has to throw the ball where it's supposed to go, but we'll have things specific for him and things for Corey (Coleman). We'll have things for all of our guys. Hopefully, when their number is called, they'll  make those plays."

The Chargers are No. 7 in the NFL in pass defense and have a premier cornerback in Casey Hayward, but Gordon is a game changer when he's on point.

"I've seen teams have to put two guys on guys like these and play a different style of defense to account for these kind of guys,'' he said. "When he's rolling and playing like we all know he can play, he's a force. That's a good situation to have as an offensive coach."

10 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Has Geno Smith been throwing to Engram on the practice squad? That has the potential to backfire big time. 

This is true.  Engram is a rookie.  My speculation is Engram has had significant reps with the second string QB before being forced into significant playing time due to injuries.  I do expect Geno to throw an equal number of passes as Eli did.

I agree he’s a risky play. The “experts” have Engram as a top 5 TE this week.... we’ll see.

21 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

FYI

I’m going with

Engram (TE)

Crowder (WR)

Hill (WR)

Gotta go gordon over that group

5 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

This is true.  Engram is a rookie.  My speculation is Engram has had significant reps with the second string QB before being forced into significant playing time due to injuries.  I do expect Geno to throw an equal number of passes as Eli did.

I agree he’s a risky play. The “experts” have Engram as a top 5 TE this week.... we’ll see.

In the pre and early season Geno and Engram probably had a lot of reps together, but probably not since then. All I am saying is Engram may not be Smith's target of choice. I don't know who Geno has been throwing to on the reg in practice, but it's probably not Engram, at least not before this week.

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I think you need to stop with the math and work on your GOOGLE SKILLS :D

Hue Jackson almost fell out of his chair Thursday when asked if he'll start Josh Gordon Sunday against the Chargers.

"Heck yeah, are you kidding me?'' he said with a laugh. "Yeah, he's going to start  -- right away. I'm kind of surprised you'd ask. You have to play your good players, right?''

"Let it rip,'' said Jackson. "Pitch count? With this guy (laughter)? No, it has been what? Three years? I want three years of that pitch count back out there right now. No, he's done a good job this week. He's worked extremely hard. I think he's excited about playing. It'll be a big day for him. Again, I don't want to make it too big at the same time.

"We're not going to force balls,'' said Jackson. "Our quarterback still has to throw the ball where it's supposed to go, but we'll have things specific for him and things for Corey (Coleman). We'll have things for all of our guys. Hopefully, when their number is called, they'll  make those plays."

The Chargers are No. 7 in the NFL in pass defense and have a premier cornerback in Casey Hayward, but Gordon is a game changer when he's on point.

"I've seen teams have to put two guys on guys like these and play a different style of defense to account for these kind of guys,'' he said. "When he's rolling and playing like we all know he can play, he's a force. That's a good situation to have as an offensive coach."

We’ll see. Jackson has a great record coaching the Browns, right?

My Googling is fine.  According to CBS the LAC is 4th against QBs.  They are 12th against receivers.

LAC are 5th in fewest points to QBs with 13.73.

LAC is averaging 13 receptions to WRs/game.

Pick your stats.  this is an extremely bad matchup for a rookie QB.

7 hours ago, dashoe said:
But they gave him poinst so don't worry

Josh Gordon

Josh Gordon
Cleveland Browns
ELIG: WR
OWNED BY: DASHOE
PRK: 192     AVG: 0.0
%OWN: 56.0 (+25)
Suspended
ffl_antas_35x35.jpg
ESPN Projection
WEEK 13
Yds: 0/0/39.3, TDs: 0.1

Josh Gordon

Josh Gordon
Cleveland Browns
%OWN: 60.7 (+28.9)
Healthy
ffl_antas_35x35.jpg
ESPN Projection
WEEK 13
Yds: 0/0/50.3, TDs: 0.2

7hrs later ESPN bumped up his projection to double digit points!! :D

Edited by dashoe
3 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

In the pre and early season Geno and Engram probably had a lot of reps together, but probably not since then. All I am saying is Engram may not be Smith's target of choice. I don't know who Geno has been throwing to on the reg in practice, but it's probably not Engram, at least not before this week.

I absolutely agree.  The reason I’m playing him is it’s the Raiders and there is no one else to throw to.

Engram is pretty much guaranteed 6 targets.

20 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

You’re nuts!  Speculation + analystics is why this forum exists.

Yes, but speculation + analytics with concrete proof. I’m not saying Gordon is going off but all the down playing is just far fetched. Every other Browns WR isn’t coming off a huge layoff while healthy. And all the reports that he won’t be held back. 

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Josh Gordon

Josh Gordon
Cleveland Browns
%OWN: 60.7 (+28.9)
Healthy
ffl_antas_35x35.jpg
ESPN Projection
WEEK 13
Yds: 0/0/50.3, TDs: 0.2

7hrs later ESPN bumped him up his projection to double digit points!! :D

It’s moving in the right direct ; )

50 yrds. + .2 TDs

I wonder if that’s a 1 in 5 chances he scores a TD in Vegas...

3 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

Yes, but speculation + analytics with concrete proof. I’m not saying Gordon is going off but all the down playing is just far fetched. Every other Browns WR isn’t coming off a huge layoff while healthy. And all the reports that he won’t be held back. 

You can put in any numbers you like into my guesstimates.

Kizer isn’t suddenly become a great passer... (maybe next year)

Bump up the targets to 6 with 4 receptions (due to playing time), increase it to Gordon’s ave. of 17 yrs/catch (from 15) etc.

I’m trying to keep it reasonable.  Sure, there is a chance he has a great game against the Chargers.  I think the odds are against it.

The 10pts projected by ESPN I consider reasonable.  Until Gordon plays with Kizer, I (and everyone) lacks the information to make “good” projections.

I agree Gordon looks healthy and ready to play.  I also assume Coleman was fully healthy when he returned... (he’s a good player that has gotten a ton of targets, and has yet to score).  There is no comparison between Coleman vs. Gordon, but it’s reflection on WRs playing for the Browns with Kizer throwing them the ball.

I picked up Gordon because he’s as talented as it gets, but that doesn’t matter if Kizer can’t get him the ball.  

We’ll see on Sunday.

6 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

That's hilarious. He sounds like a forum member. Love it. He just needs to add "let's rock out with our +++++ out" and he would complete me.

What if he IS a forum member?