NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

ponza88

1 hour ago, Br0kenB said:

No way. Three years away from the NFL and all of the training, programs, and supports they have. Three years away from new players in the league, from playbooks, from film study, from everything about professional football. There's no way he'd walk right in and make things work. This is professional level sports we are talking about.

All I know is that he showed last year he could walk right in during preseaon,  catch a couple of RG3 bombs and make the defense look silly. . .

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Preseason is no argument. It's all pointless really, since he will never play again.

thats just a silly counterpoint. because if he sucked in those preseason games then the argument would be  he sucked he can't play in the NFL anymore and he lost a step and can't compete. Sorry but no avg athlete can come in and just 'perform" against NFL players even in preseason; NFL competition is NFL competition in OTA's, trainign camp, preseason and reg season. Everyone is competing for their jobs

Edited by dashoe

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

Then how do you explain 2013? Film study?

No, but he played in the season prior, had an entire off season program with the team, learned the professional game, etc. Continuity in his career likely played a large part in his dominance. Going through an entire off season with the same team after playing in the season prior likely did a lot to help elevate Gordon's game significantly. Now, 4 years removed from a dominant season, it's pretty clear that the dude just doesn't have the commitment to the game necessary to return to that level of dominance.

Other than Bryant being one year younger, and Gordon being out a little longer,  what is the difference between Bryants return to football, who many are excited about, and Gordons? I mean, you could essentially replace the name Martavis Bryant with Josh Gordon in the snippet below. Obviously Bryant has a better team around him, but as far as a young WR successfully returning to the NFL after a lengthy substance abuse suspension, what's the difference? Assuming Gordon is reinstated, of course.

Steelers' Martavis Bryant: Looks like normal self

June 19, 2017 10:40 AM EDT | by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Bryant doesn't appear to have lost any of his ability since missing all of last season due to a suspension, Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. "He looks like a stud, as usual, so we're excited for him to be on the field this year and help us out," Roethlisberger said when asked about Bryant's form during offseason practices.

Bryant was reinstated in April after sitting out the 2016 campaign for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Despite being out of action for 16 months prior to his return to practice in late May, Bryant seems like his normal self now that he's had the opportunity to get reacquainted with his teammates. While Roethlisberger acknowledged Bryant is still getting up to speed on some of the details the Steelers added to their offense last year, the quarterback understandably sounds pleased to have one of his top deep threats available once again. An absolute burner in the open field, Bryant reportedly gained around 15 pounds of muscle while suspended, which came after he'd already caught 76 passes for 1,314 yards and 14 touchdowns through his first 21 career games.

Josh Gordon is a freak of an athlete in his 20's he is not all of a sudden going to lose a step or forget how to play the game of football. Dude has been playing the game his entire life a couple of seasons away doesnt take that away. A couple of seasons away deprives him of game experience with his team and against opponents that he needs to take it to take his football knowledge and skill set to the next level.

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 7:22 AM, dashoe said:

Josh was DOA before wk 4 last season so u still could have picked adams+ thomas off the waivers by then, i got diigs+ adams off waivers and passed on thomas like an idiot because of my silly bias against flavor of the week saints wr's

Your particular league doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else's.  For instance, all three of those guys were drafted in my leagues that had at least three digit entry fees.  

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 4:18 AM, Lamont Sanford said:

Other than Bryant being one year younger, and Gordon being out a little longer,  what is the difference between Bryants return to football, who many are excited about, and Gordons? I mean, you could essentially replace the name Martavis Bryant with Josh Gordon in the snippet below. Obviously Bryant has a better team around him, but as far as a young WR successfully returning to the NFL after a lengthy substance abuse suspension, what's the difference? Assuming Gordon is reinstated, of course.

Steelers' Martavis Bryant: Looks like normal self

June 19, 2017 10:40 AM EDT | by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Bryant doesn't appear to have lost any of his ability since missing all of last season due to a suspension, Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. "He looks like a stud, as usual, so we're excited for him to be on the field this year and help us out," Roethlisberger said when asked about Bryant's form during offseason practices.

Bryant was reinstated in April after sitting out the 2016 campaign for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Despite being out of action for 16 months prior to his return to practice in late May, Bryant seems like his normal self now that he's had the opportunity to get reacquainted with his teammates. While Roethlisberger acknowledged Bryant is still getting up to speed on some of the details the Steelers added to their offense last year, the quarterback understandably sounds pleased to have one of his top deep threats available once again. An absolute burner in the open field, Bryant reportedly gained around 15 pounds of muscle while suspended, which came after he'd already caught 76 passes for 1,314 yards and 14 touchdowns through his first 21 career games.

One year out vs essentially three or four is a huge difference.  Also,  Martavius had been doing enough of the right things off the field that he was reinstated immediately vs Josh not being (which is a red flag).

18 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Time to quit football, Josh.

He hits the ball like Miggy Cabrera.

Hmmm.  He actually has the foundation of a really good baseball swing. 

19 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Your particular league doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else's.  For instance, all three of those guys were drafted in my leagues that had at least three digit entry fees.  

Yeah, that was sort of my point responding to a previous poster who mentioned guys who may or may not have been on the waiver. i was pointing out what was available in my leauge.

I too play in money leagues in any given year anywhere from $250 to $5k entry (but the ones I enjoy most are two $500 leagues) some comprised of friends or biz peers or complete strangers. The only diff I have found is a fee seems to ensure there is some level of preparation on draft day (although there was that one dude who picked up Calvin johnson last season in the 12th rd) however the money doesnt insure that everyone has a solid view on players past the  top 50-100.  The money also doesnt insure the most knowledgeable guy wins,  i have seen the least knowledgeable guys win because it simply worked out that way. In one league we had a guy drafting from London, he lost his internet connection after 3rd rd and his team was autopicked for remainder of draft. He won that year. 

13 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Lock this thread, if he has a thread, I should have a thread.  We're both equally relevant to the NFL 

4f4b7b8cce3a920b9263179cb28d7c822cdfaa49

Yeah i feel this thread will make me draft Josh Gordon AGAIN.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:43 PM, Lamont Sanford said:

For me, I think round 7th is where I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on Josh Gordon. That's about where the players being drafted are not likely going to be difference makers on your team. They are startable, but you're not going to be excited about starting them. Generally speaking I don't think there's going to be significant regret about missing out on player X that you could've drafted in round 7 or later. There may be a couple later round players that exceed expectations, but many of those players are just as likely to be bench fillers or dropped altogether at some point. Drafting Josh Gordon in round 7 or later is a low risk, extremely high reward scenario. If he's reinstated, you've got the steal of the draft. If he's not reinstated, you missed out on Pierre Garcon.

Bro i drafted Josh Gordon in the 7th round last year and i thought i had the steal of the draft.

Turns out i was the chump of the draft.

If he's there in round 14 i might take him before a K or DEF but not earlier.

1 hour ago, Ravensdan said:

I hope he is reinstated or rumored to be so others will waste a pick. Hopefully they can find Justin Blackmon available also. 

Waste a pick? If he is reinstated and you pick him you just won your league.