Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kirk Cousins 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

The Washington Post reports the Redskins have yet to make progress in long-term talks with free agent Kirk Cousins.

That's via "people familiar with the situation." Per reporter Mike Jones, the Redskins are also likely to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins, allowing him to negotiate with other teams. Cousins has been strongly linked to ex-Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco, but the bombed-out Niners would have to surrender two first-round picks.

 


If the 49ers offer the Skins two first round picks, you think the Redskins will take it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt they'd take it.  They're remotely competitive as is (and would be a clear competitor in any other division but the NFC East or AFC West), so a strong draft this season could potentially put them into a decent playoff run.  You don't give up your QB if you're capable of making that jump. 

 

If he's still on that awful excuse for a team (team hate because of fandom, not talent hate) he's going to be a great value next year.  Easy excuse to wait on QB and take an extra RB/WR/earlier TE.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Kirk's contract is going to be 24-25mil a year regardless where he goes. We could get Deshaun Watson with SF's 2nd overall pick or trade the first round pick to New England for Jimmy Garoppolo.  We save a lot of money.

 

Edited by verycoolnin
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

 Kirk's contract is going to be 24-25mil a year regardless where he goes. We could get Deshaun Watson with SF's 2nd overall pick or trade the first round pick to New England for Jimmy Garoppolo.  We save a lot of money.

 

 

Cowboys fan here - I'd rather have Cousins than either Watson or Jimmy G.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

The Washington Post reports the Redskins have yet to make progress in long-term talks with free agent Kirk Cousins.

That's via "people familiar with the situation." Per reporter Mike Jones, the Redskins are also likely to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins, allowing him to negotiate with other teams. Cousins has been strongly linked to ex-Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco, but the bombed-out Niners would have to surrender two first-round picks.

 


If the 49ers offer the Skins two first round picks, you think the Redskins will take it?

 

I think they would absolutely consider it. The fact they have gone two years without signing him to a long term deal tells you they aren't close to one hundred percent sold on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

The Washington Post reports the Redskins have yet to make progress in long-term talks with free agent Kirk Cousins.

That's via "people familiar with the situation." Per reporter Mike Jones, the Redskins are also likely to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins, allowing him to negotiate with other teams. Cousins has been strongly linked to ex-Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco, but the bombed-out Niners would have to surrender two first-round picks.

 


If the 49ers offer the Skins two first round picks, you think the Redskins will take it?

 

As a Giants fan, I certainly hope so. Trading away a QB who just surpassed 4900 yards passing and has led his team to their first consecutive winning seasons since Joe Gibbs was HC would be monumentally foolish. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

What are the Redskins doing? They finally find a franchise QB and they decide to jerk him around? Pay the man! They have blown money so many other times...now they wanna get cheap at QB? 

They're acting as if they're cheap yet they're willing to pay him top 6 money under the franchise tag twice.  Doesn't make much sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

They're acting as if they're cheap yet they're willing to pay him top 6 money under the franchise tag twice.  Doesn't make much sense.

It's the long term commitment that they're worried about.  Paying a guy QB money for a year isn't bad, even if you're overpaying for what you're getting.  But paying elite QB money to a guy who turns out to be Osweiler (or hell, Alex Smith) can be team destroying. Personally, I don't get any reason to doubt after 2 straight good seasons, but that appears to be the case with Washington.  

 

Another possibility is they don't want to pay Andrew Luck money for Kirk Cousins (long term), but that's what Cousins is demanding.  In this day and age, I don't think they can avoid it, and Cousins can definitely deliver above-competent quarterback play for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

It's the long term commitment that they're worried about.  Paying a guy QB money for a year isn't bad, even if you're overpaying for what you're getting.  But paying elite QB money to a guy who turns out to be Osweiler (or hell, Alex Smith) can be team destroying. Personally, I don't get any reason to doubt after 2 straight good seasons, but that appears to be the case with Washington.  

 

Another possibility is they don't want to pay Andrew Luck money for Kirk Cousins (long term), but that's what Cousins is demanding.  In this day and age, I don't think they can avoid it, and Cousins can definitely deliver above-competent quarterback play for them.

 

They wouldn't have had to pay Luck money if they hadn't tried to lowball him last year after he saved Gruden's job and led them to a division title.

 

Following that performance with a 4900+ yard performance in another winning season (which would have been a playoff season had Gruden benched Matt Jones before he lost the DET game with his 2 fumbles) means they lost their gamble and now are going to have to pay him. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yeah I'm wondering who they think would be a good QB to replace Cousins with. You think of all teams the Redskins would understand how difficult it is to find a franchise quarterback.

 

As a Dallas fan I hope they let him walk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Letting Cousins walk or trading him would be insanely stupid.

 

Having a top 10 QB is pretty much required to win the Super Bowl in today's game (minus the anomaly season the Broncos had). At worst you need a top 10 like run from your QB. You can have all the talent in the world but if your QB is bad at best you are looking at a first round exit (Texans and Broncos).

 

There's a reason QB is worth so much and wins the MVP every year. QB value = Everyone else combined.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Letting Cousins walk or trading him would be insanely stupid.

 

Having a top 10 QB is pretty much required to win the Super Bowl in today's game (minus the anomaly season the Broncos had). At worst you need a top 10 like run from your QB. You can have all the talent in the world but if your QB is bad at best you are looking at a first round exit (Texans and Broncos).

 

There's a reason QB is worth so much and wins the MVP every year. QB value = Everyone else combined.

I suggest paying him Flacco money after he wins a SB, or after they are confident he is not Flacco.

Edited by psygolf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting Twist:

 

 

ESPN's Jason Reid reports "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins" have said free agent Cousins doesn't want to be in Washington and wants to be franchise-tagged.

The sides have made what sounds like zero progress on a long-term deal, and Cousins may simply be fed up with the way GM Scot McCloughan and Co. has handled negotiations over the past two offseasons. The front office clearly didn't believe in Cousins last year at this time, making him prove himself again on a one-year deal, and Cousins answered the bell with a big year. It's fair to wonder if the "former Redskins officials" Reid is referring to is someone(s) from the old Shanahan regime, as then-OC Kyle Shanahan literally "stood on a table" for Cousins when they drafted him. Shanahan, now the head coach in San Francisco, doesn't have a quarterback and remains enamored with Cousins, who has made it known he feels the same way toward Shanahan. If Cousins is able to force his way out of D.C. this year or next, a reunion in Santa Clara would be a good bet.
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, psygolf said:

 

I suggest paying him Flacco money after he wins a SB, or after they are confident he is not Flacco.

The Ravens were one of the few teams I saw win a Super Bowl running on hopes and dreams.

 

Flacco never had a season over 3.7k yards and his highest QBR was 58. He got a contract off an extremely flukey playoff run. Cousins put up over 4k yards 2 seasons in a row and nearly had 5k yards this year. QBR over 70 in both. Not very comparable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The Ravens were one of the few teams I saw win a Super Bowl running on hopes and dreams.

 

Flacco never had a season over 3.7k yards and his highest QBR was 58. He got a contract off an extremely flukey playoff run. Cousins put up over 4k yards 2 seasons in a row and nearly had 5k yards this year. QBR over 70 in both. Not very comparable.

Ok...how about, do not pay him "Brees" money until you find out that he's not "Romo."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he goes to San Fran with Shanahan now. Give him some weapons at WR and that offense will turn around in no time. The Skins cannot tag him again, correct? So really if Kirk wanted to give them a middle finger regardless of the contract offer, he could do it, right?

Edited by mrblonde1984
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Ok...how about, do not pay him "Brees" money until you find out that he's not "Romo."

 

Funny,  I consider Cousins to basically be Romo.  You say that like it's a bad thing.  It's not,  he's a legit second tier qb after the guys playing today that are on HOF tracks like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, etc.   Guys capable of carrying your team. I'll put Luck in this group as well. 

 

I put him right in the tier with Ryan, Rivers, Romo, etc (leaving the babies like MM8, Dak, and Winston out of this discussion for now).  Guys that are capable of making winning plays but need help in the form of a run game, defense, etc. to win big. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petekrum said:

I like Cousins, he's a nice QB. That being said, I'm not paying him top QB money.

 

It's the state of the NFL now, Pete. We're in the dark ages of QBs. Just give it a few years and we'll be singing the praises of Andy Dalton and Matthew Stafford - top 5 QBs (once Brady, Brees, Ben, Romo retire).

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

Funny,  I consider Cousins to basically be Romo.  You say that like it's a bad thing.  It's not,  he's a legit second tier qb after the guys playing today that are on HOF tracks like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, etc.   Guys capable of carrying your team. I'll put Luck in this group as well. 

 

I put him right in the tier with Ryan, Rivers, Romo, etc (leaving the babies like MM8, Dak, and Winston out of this discussion for now).  Guys that are capable of making winning plays but need help in the form of a run game, defense, etc. to win big. 

I won't put Luck in that group until I see a reason to put Luck in that group. I have yet to see a reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Ok...how about, do not pay him "Brees" money until you find out that he's not "Romo."

Why are we not paying a guy capable of almost making it the the playoffs with horrible rosters and next to no support outside his TE and WR?  Later in his career, injuries are certainly relevant to this discussion, but Romo on a team with a line like Washington's, an RB corps like Washington's, and WRs like Washington's produces an upper tier offense.

 

So for God's sake, sign Cousins and try and do what the Cowboys didn't and give him an average defense to make it work. Don't give their Romo away and rely on a team that couldn't do it with a good QB to somehow get better without that good QB. The only benefit is the Cowboys would have had a lot more top 10 picks to make without Romo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...