NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kirk Cousins 2017 Outlook

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree that starting Garrappolo over Cousins is risky.  Cousins has proven he can still be serviceable against good competition, and Garroppolo is so untested.  I also have concerns over cousins and would definitely sit him over a more well-established option (I'm sitting him for Rivers).  Even guys like McCown or Winston have fairly well established floors based on a meaningful sample size.  But a 2nd time starter in the league, ever, on a pretty bad team....that does take some huevos.

12 minutes ago, FeastMode said:

Agree that starting Garrappolo over Cousins is risky

But a 2nd time starter in the league, ever, on a pretty bad team....that does take some huevos.

Jimmy G started 3 games last year for Hoodie, and did quite well. 

On 12/6/2017 at 4:57 AM, BigMoneyNoWhammy said:

I really think Cousins is a huge risk this week. That LAC defense is the perfect storm for a dud. They have one of the best pass rushes in the league that really gets after the QB combined with several elite cover corners. The WAS line is battered to hell and their receivers rarely create good separation anyhow. Without a playmaker like Thompson to dump off to WAS offense has really struggled last 2 weeks. I can see Kirk putting up some OK numbers, but I could also see a totally flat performance on the road. Added McCown this week and am likely starting him over Kirk. I also have Big Ben, but hesitant to play against BAL. Probably flip a coin between between Ben/McCown for the start this week for me. 

I agree with this post in its entirety.

12 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Playing Jimmy G over Cousins.  I think he puts up a dud and Jimmy is going to have to throw and throw.

Thinking about doing the same.  Frustrating part is every time I've benched Cousins this year he goes off for one of his 300/2 type games which I'll gladly take.

The problem with Cousins isn't the other team, it's his own O-line.  Last week his center Roullier was out, and RT Moses got rolled on and went out early, and he didn't have any time in the pocket.  Now this week LT Trent Williams hasn't practiced yet, and Moses and Roullier are still limited and on the mend.  Even if they do all play they're clearly not at 100%.  Add in the Chargers' pass rush and it looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

I'd consider starting him vs. LAC if the O-line was fully healthy, but it's not looking good.  I'm in the same boat as many with Jimmy G as my other option, and I don't have a lot of confidence in him either, but I'd rather go down playing the "smart" matchup than just saying "well Cousins has lit up good pass D's before this year so maybe he will this week too".  

I was on the fence but I decided I’m going Jimmy G over Cousins. There are so many things against Cousins.

- Redskins online is ravaged by injuries 

- Bosa and Engram (see #1)

- Chargers D top 5 in pts allowed to QB

-  Redskins offense not the same since Thompson 

- Chargers are not good against run so they might rely on Perine even more

- I don’t think this will be a blowout so no garbage pts for Cousins 

I’m rolling with Jimmy G against the Texans who are bottom 3 in pts allowed to QBs 

Edited by Jewelz0376
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I agree with this post in its entirety.

I’ve always respected your opinions in the MLB threads @BMcP - what do you see Cousins doing this week?  Trying not to make this a bench coach question, but I’m leaning towards benching him as of now.

Just now, Wilford Brimley said:

I’ve always respected your opinions in the MLB threads @BMcP - what do you see Cousins doing this week?  Trying not to make this a bench coach question, but I’m leaning towards benching him as of now.

Thanks, man!  I love your oatmeal, btw!

Honestly, I would try to find another option - I see him having a low ceiling and a low floor this week.  The Chargers may very well have the best pass defense in the league right now outside of JAX and the line is beyond decimated.  I’m a lifelong Skins fan and even I don’t recognize the names being trotted out to protect Cousins right now.  Gruden has openly said that he has pared down the playbook out of necessity (no lengthy drop backs on PAs) just to keep Kirk healthy.  And who exactly does he have left to throw to?!  No Pryor, no Reed, no CT, VD has disappeared in recent weeks - it’s all on Crowder (please hold onto the ball), Doctson and Ryan Grant (!).  I see this being a low-scoring affair with Perine as a lone standout.

For context, I would start the likes of a Garoppolo over Cousins without hesitation.

have a bye this week in the league i have Shatner, but, no way would i wind him up in LA if i had to play this week :(  i've been riding the LAC D for the past month, and they can go get it -  ¡con mucho gusto!

however, week 15 at home vs 'Zona?  yeah, all downside peripherals will prolly remain, but that Cards D has been generous vs the aerial attack.  

options would be Bortles vs Texans, Jimmy G vs Titans ... dunno, think the Cap has one more bullet in the chamber, hopefully it's fired straight at BA B)

3 hours ago, LongBalls said:

I actually straight up dropped him. Depends what you have on the bench and wire, but guys like Dalton and Winston were more appealing this week. And I've got better options week 15 and 16.

Week 14 Cousins or Cam, I must play one. Which has better chance of a 2 TD game? That’s what I need.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Thanks, man!  I love your oatmeal, btw!

Honestly, I would try to find another option - I see him having a low ceiling and a low floor this week.  The Chargers may very well have the best pass defense in the league right now outside of JAX and the line is beyond decimated.  I’m a lifelong Skins fan and even I don’t recognize the names being trotted out to protect Cousins right now.  Gruden has openly said that he has pared down the playbook out of necessity (no lengthy drop backs on PAs) just to keep Kirk healthy.  And who exactly does he have left to throw to?!  No Pryor, no Reed, no CT, VD has disappeared in recent weeks - it’s all on Crowder (please hold onto the ball), Doctson and Ryan Grant (!).  I see this being a low-scoring affair with Perine as a lone standout.

For context, I would start the likes of a Garoppolo over Cousins without hesitation.

Thank you - it’s harvested with care with folks like you in mind - I’ll send you some of the special blue moon harvest!

Wow, thanks, it’s like you read my mind - Garrapalo is who I am considering.  Lifelong Skins fan as well, despite living almost all of my life in Giants territory.  I’ve barely followed the last 5 years due to time, them sucking, and not understanding what a catch is in the NFL anymore. 

Edited by Wilford Brimley

I'm a Cousins owner who has also been entertaining rolling Jimmy G., and I'm blown away that the majority of Cousin's owners are rolling Jimmy without question. 

1. I understand the concern with Cousins: the O-line, the depleted weapons, the insane pash-rush / corner combo that SD has; but:

2. Jimmy G. only put up 10.5 points against an average Chicago team. Yeah, the yards were there, but I have exactly an N=1 to go off of for Jimmy, whereas Cousins really only burned us in week 9 at Seattle (I'm not counting weeks 1 & 2, Cousins ALWAYS starts slow). 
3. Cousins in recent weeks hung 27 fantasy points on the Saints and 28.6 on the Minnesota defense. 

4. Do I think that Jimmy will out-yardage Cousins this week? Hell yeah, I do. But I also think Cousins is a pretty safe bet for ~2 TDs regardless of match-up, and he's got 3 weeks straight with 2+ TDs slung. I think this point becomes more valid considering that we don't have many games of Jimmy's to go off of, so I'm not so easy to dismiss a high yardage, no TD game. 

Both of these options (Cousins vs Jimmy G), in week 1 of the fantasy playoffs scare the s--- out of me. But, I've ridden this team & Cousins all year to a 10-1 record, and in these types of scenarios where I have two tough options, I go with what has made me successful all year, and/or I go with the player that has the larger track record. In both of these cases, it's Cousins. 

3 minutes ago, shaman0610 said:

I'm a Cousins owner who has also been entertaining rolling Jimmy G., and I'm blown away that the majority of Cousin's owners are rolling Jimmy without question. 

1. I understand the concern with Cousins: the O-line, the depleted weapons, the insane pash-rush / corner combo that SD has; but:

2. Jimmy G. only put up 10.5 points against an average Chicago team. Yeah, the yards were there, but I have exactly an N=1 to go off of for Jimmy, whereas Cousins really only burned us in week 9 at Seattle (I'm not counting weeks 1 & 2, Cousins ALWAYS starts slow). 
3. Cousins in recent weeks hung 27 fantasy points on the Saints and 28.6 on the Minnesota defense. 

4. Do I think that Jimmy will out-yardage Cousins this week? Hell yeah, I do. But I also think Cousins is a pretty safe bet for ~2 TDs regardless of match-up, and he's got 3 weeks straight with 2+ TDs slung. I think this point becomes more valid considering that we don't have many games of Jimmy's to go off of, so I'm not so easy to dismiss a high yardage, no TD game. 

Both of these options (Cousins vs Jimmy G), in week 1 of the fantasy playoffs scare the s--- out of me. But, I've ridden this team & Cousins all year to a 10-1 record, and in these types of scenarios where I have two tough options, I go with what has made me successful all year, and/or I go with the player that has the larger track record. In both of these cases, it's Cousins. 

A few words in response to each point:

1.  ‘Nuff said.

2.  It’s certainly true that we don’t have much to go on with JG so far - but he has excelled whenever he’s received an opportunity thus far as a starting QB, and a relatively difficult matchup against Chicago was no exception.  He also has his first game as the starter under his belt (and not playing in front of most of his friends and family), so nerves may be less of an issue.

3. Some of the 27 points Cousins hung on NO came with Chris Thompson playing (and scoring) and a much healthier O-line. Lattimore was also injured in that contest. Similarly, CT was playing vs. MIN and the O-line was healthier at that point, too.  Both of these games also occurred before Davis was inexplicably phased out of the offense.

4.  I have to reiterate that I don’t think it’s a safe bet at all that Cousins will score 2+ TDs against an elite pass D on the road.  Seriously, all three of their starting corners are elite.  The Bosa/Ingram tandem is frighteningly good - and the Skins are playing fans taken from the stands at both tackle positions at this point.

Garropolo sounds like a scarier proposition, but he really isn’t.

Interesting stat.  I didn't set up the league, but I don't think there are any special settings for us.

Tom Brady through 13 weeks? 243.68 points

Kirk Cousins through 13 weeks? 230.66 points.  As close to 1 PPG as possible. 

33 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Interesting stat.  I didn't set up the league, but I don't think there are any special settings for us.

Tom Brady through 13 weeks? 243.68 points

Kirk Cousins through 13 weeks? 230.66 points.  As close to 1 PPG as possible. 

Definitely interesting. It's a weird year for QBs where things like flipped at three-quarter mark. Rivers is now more valuable that #3 overall QB Alex Smith, while Josh McCown could finish as a higher scoring fantasy QB than Cousins and Newton. The only really elite fantasy QBs this year have been Wilson and Wentz. Who are going crazy.

It seems like a pretty good case for just QB streaming based on match-ups, etc.

Edited by LongBalls

I bet Brady was more consistent, while Kirk was not (I think he had back to back 8 point games). Give me consistency any day.... reminds me of an article I read a few years ago.. Frank Gore vs Jamaal Charles (the Charles of KC). Gore was very consistent (at least 13+ points a game), while JC was.. 35 points 1 game.. then 5 points the next

37 minutes ago, maxim730 said:

I bet Brady was more consistent, while Kirk was not (I think he had back to back 8 point games). Give me consistency any day.... reminds me of an article I read a few years ago.. Frank Gore vs Jamaal Charles (the Charles of KC). Gore was very consistent (at least 13+ points a game), while JC was.. 35 points 1 game.. then 5 points the next

This league (which I think is just regular old yahoo .04, 4, -1), they both have the same number of 20+, Brady actually has the 2 thirty point games, and both have a single game under 10. Very similar consistency wise.

Cousins better at hitting the high point in his 20's (while Brady's were a little on the lower side, while Brady was better at keeping his dips below a little higher than Cousins. So what's more important to you?  More 25+ games, or less 20-? 

20 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Jimmy G started 3 games last year for Hoodie, and did quite well. 

I forgot all about that.  Good call.  

I do think his performance in spot starts for one of the best offense in the league with belichek running the show deserves an asterisk.  Like how Matt Cassel was lights out when Brady went down and has been garbage since.  But your point that he's got experience in the league trotting out as the starter is absolutely right.  I was wrong on that point.  I'm starting Taylor out of desperation, so I hope Jimmy G tears it up.

16 hours ago, BMcP said:

A few words in response to each point:

1.  ‘Nuff said.

2.  It’s certainly true that we don’t have much to go on with JG so far - but he has excelled whenever he’s received an opportunity thus far as a starting QB, and a relatively difficult matchup against Chicago was no exception.  He also has his first game as the starter under his belt (and not playing in front of most of his friends and family), so nerves may be less of an issue.

3. Some of the 27 points Cousins hung on NO came with Chris Thompson playing (and scoring) and a much healthier O-line. Lattimore was also injured in that contest. Similarly, CT was playing vs. MIN and the O-line was healthier at that point, too.  Both of these games also occurred before Davis was inexplicably phased out of the offense.

4.  I have to reiterate that I don’t think it’s a safe bet at all that Cousins will score 2+ TDs against an elite pass D on the road.  Seriously, all three of their starting corners are elite.  The Bosa/Ingram tandem is frighteningly good - and the Skins are playing fans taken from the stands at both tackle positions at this point.

Garropolo sounds like a scarier proposition, but he really isn’t.

I legitimately have no disagreement with any of your points. Both options scare me for different reasons, which is why I'm erring on the side of 'don't rock the boat:'
"But, I've ridden this team & Cousins all year to a 12-1 record, and in these types of scenarios where I have two tough options, I go with what has made me successful all year, and/or I go with the player that has the larger track record. In both of these cases, it's Cousins."

Edited by shaman0610