NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kirk Cousins 2017 Outlook

Any injuries on the SD defense that might give Kirk a chance? Looking for any silver lining haha. Chargers only team to not allow a 100 yard receiver.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, mjb said:

Any injuries on the SD defense that might give Kirk a chance? Looking for any silver lining haha. Chargers only team to not allow a 100 yard receiver.

The silver lining would be a God-like performance from Cousins. That's the only hope, really.

Edited by LongBalls

Totally get the skepticism here, but I still feel like touts are being a bit too harsh on projections this week. Even despite the recent struggles, a 250 yd 2 TD floor is still QB 1 worthy. 

3 hours ago, RampaginRussian said:

swapped for Jimmy G - sorry that Bosa/Ingram pass rush is killer.

I did the same. 

Im starting to have second doubts though. If it wasn’t the playoffs I wouldn’t be stressing it so much, but me and my opponent are pretty evenly matched so this decision could easily determine my win or loss. 

Tough to have confidence in Cousins this week. Hard to see this game not being a blowout although Cleveland kept it fairly close. I think a blowout might be better for Cousins stats as he would probably get some decent garbage numbers. I doubt he would get pulled in the game until later in 4th. Not like Colt McCoy is someone who’s the future they want to see. 

4 hours ago, malta69 said:

Totally get the skepticism here, but I still feel like touts are being a bit too harsh on projections this week. Even despite the recent struggles, a 250 yd 2 TD floor is still QB 1 worthy. 

4 hours ago, malta69 said:

That’s pretty darn bold, 250/2 against this elite defense and a really banged up Washington O line.

Edited by mjb

The Chargers look like they have caught fire, and the Skins' season became lost the past two weeks. Those are two arrows that couldn't be pointed more in opposite directions.  

Also, losing Chris Thompson deprived Kirk of one of his favorite RZ tools.  If he can't throw a jump ball to Doctson, or run it in himself, they are having to settle for FGs.

At the same time, Cousins is a heck of a QB.  Folks don't give him enough credit for how he operates that offense.  Decimated OL or not, if anyone can get it done, it's Kirk.

Garbage time could really be key in this one.  As another poster noted, the Skins have no incentive whatsoever to shield Cousins until even Gruden is forced to concede that things are hopeless.  If the Chargers' lead becomes comfortable early enough, and Cousins can stay upright from the hits he'll take, he should pile up some stats.

All things considered, I'd say your chances of a disappointing floor are about the same as your chances of a pleasant ceiling.  We would all like more from our QB starter during a do-or-die week, but in most 12 team or deeper leagues, better spot start options just are typically not available.

On 12/8/2017 at 5:33 PM, shaman0610 said:

I'm a Cousins owner who has also been entertaining rolling Jimmy G., and I'm blown away that the majority of Cousin's owners are rolling Jimmy without question. 

1. I understand the concern with Cousins: the O-line, the depleted weapons, the insane pash-rush / corner combo that SD has; but:

2. Jimmy G. only put up 10.5 points against an average Chicago team. Yeah, the yards were there, but I have exactly an N=1 to go off of for Jimmy, whereas Cousins really only burned us in week 9 at Seattle (I'm not counting weeks 1 & 2, Cousins ALWAYS starts slow). 
3. Cousins in recent weeks hung 27 fantasy points on the Saints and 28.6 on the Minnesota defense. 

4. Do I think that Jimmy will out-yardage Cousins this week? Hell yeah, I do. But I also think Cousins is a pretty safe bet for ~2 TDs regardless of match-up, and he's got 3 weeks straight with 2+ TDs slung. I think this point becomes more valid considering that we don't have many games of Jimmy's to go off of, so I'm not so easy to dismiss a high yardage, no TD game. 

Both of these options (Cousins vs Jimmy G), in week 1 of the fantasy playoffs scare the s--- out of me. But, I've ridden this team & Cousins all year to a 12-1 record, and in these types of scenarios where I have two tough options, I go with what has made me successful all year, and/or I go with the player that has the larger track record. In both of these cases, it's Cousins. 

f--- it, I'm rolling Jimmy. YOLO. 

Edited by shaman0610
15 hours ago, malta69 said:

His floor was shown to be 250 yd 0 TD 1 INT vs Seattle a few weeks ago, like 8 fantasy points. Why would you think his floor today is 250-2 TDs? 

Very similar situation with a tough pass D and banged up O-line, on the road. It's nothing against Kirk, he's great, but he can only do so much given the circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

With Wentz down, I have to ride Cousins in the playoffs.

Can't wait. 

LOL, in my 1 Qb league, I drafted Cousins in the mid-rounds and then took a flyer on Wentz. Like you, I have been riding Wentz all season and now need to rely on Cousins in the semis. I have a weird feeling Cousins has a good game against the Cards this coming week. 

On 12/1/2017 at 8:55 AM, Conscious Pilot said:

I'm a lifelong Skins fan, so I will disagree with you here. If you have another option than Kirk, you had better explore that option. This team has pretty much imploded and is decimated with injuries. Kirk will underperform the rest of the year. Here is why:

1) loss of key offensive linemen cannot be sustained anymore. Moses lost last night. Now out of the playoffs, the team will probably shut down LT Trent Williams, who has be playing when he really shouldn't be bc he is pretty injured 

2) the defense is worn out. They have lost the war of attrition and cannot stop the run anymore. That means that opposing teams will go on long drives, which means less time for Cousins. It happened last night

3) No one to throw to. No dependable options at WR and TE. Reed won't be back now, and Vernon Davis is banged up. Plus, they need to keep TE in to block. Crowder sucks. Who is he throwing to? Ryan Grant?

4) They will probably shut Kirk down at some point in these last few games bc there is no reason to play him behind that line. They may start aiming for better draft position 

Man this was spot on. I'm deciding between Jimmy Garopollo and Dak Prescott for my playoffs.

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

LOL, in my 1 Qb league, I drafted Cousins in the mid-rounds and then took a flyer on Wentz. Like you, I have been riding Wentz all season and now need to rely on Cousins in the semis. I have a weird feeling Cousins has a good game against the Cards this coming week. 

I'd encourage you to watch the Skins/Chargers game before making this call. Cousins, Gruden, and the rest of the team has mailed it in.

Yeaaaa the touts were right that was a completely lifeless effort.  Can't believe I actually advanced in a league I started him. 

Really not not sure how you can justify starting vs the Cards or a broncos the next two weeks 

Flacco FTW!!!! 

4 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I'd encourage you to watch the Skins/Chargers game before making this call. Cousins, Gruden, and the rest of the team has mailed it in.

Never make conclusions based on a game or 2 in the NFL. The Skins are favored by 4 against the Cards with a team total of about 24. Cousins is playing for a mammoth Contract. If I still had Wentz, he would be starting but I am fine with Cousins this week. 

if you believe in the law of averages (and the due theory), Kirk can have a good game vs. ARI.

However, the team is crap right now, and Kirk can only do so much on a s*** team. 

Flip a coin on how Kirk plays this week. 

Edited by Pooskay
1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Never make conclusions based on a game or 2 in the NFL. The Skins are favored by 4 against the Cards with a team total of about 24. Cousins is playing for a mammoth Contract. If I still had Wentz, he would be starting but I am fine with Cousins this week. 

i'd agree 100% with this if it were earlier in the year, but i find it best to avoid teams at the end of the season who are decimated by injury, fell short of loftier aspirations, and who may be just going through the motions as a result (Bungles fit this as well). 

i had higher hopes for Shatner vs Cards, but now i am quite sure its dicey - at best. 

3 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i'd agree 100% with this if it were earlier in the year, but i find it best to avoid teams at the end of the season who are decimated by injury, fell short of loftier aspirations, and who may be just going through the motions as a result (Bungles fit this as well). 

i had higher hopes for Shatner vs Cards, but now i am quite sure its dicey - at best. 

You are correct, there is a real chance the Skins are mailing it in. But you know that Cousins will be doing his best. Whether his teammates will support his efforts is a tougher question to answer. I usually default to vegas on those questions and if Vegas thinks the Skins are a 4pt favorite, that should tell you something.