NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kirk Cousins 2017 Outlook

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

You are correct, there is a real chance the Skins are mailing it in. But you know that Cousins will be doing his best. Whether his teammates will support his efforts is a tougher question to answer. I usually default to vegas on those questions and if Vegas thinks the Skins are a 4pt favorite, that should tell you something. 

how much was Tennessee favored over Arizona yesterday?

look, not totally shooting your method down (i wager quite a bit myself), but i am having a hard time seeing them rev it up - though i was in here touting Shatner for this particular game, i just dunno atm - gotta marinate all week before i decide. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is what I warned a few weeks ago - watching the games and not the box score, you can see this team has a tough time moving the ball.

week 15- I’m going to be dropping Kirk/Crowder and moving to others (Rodgers/Bortles/JimmyG). 

Not everyone is in 10 team leagues with free agent options. 16 team keeper league with best thing on waiver Tom Savage. I have to roll with  Cousins. He’s been a gamer up to this point. Charger game was just too much. Should bounce back against Az but Denver matchup could prove to be as bad as charger game.

Edited by ocelot777
35 minutes ago, ocelot777 said:

Not everyone is in 10 team leagues with free agent options. 16 team keeper league with best thing on waiver Tom Savage. I have to roll with  Cousins. He’s been a gamer up to this point. Charger game was just too much. Should bounce back against Az but Denver matchup could prove to be as bad as charger game.

Denver no fly zone has been pretty much carpet bombed this year.  They’re like bottom 3 in TD passes allowed and I have no issue starting cousins against them.  I’m more worried about the AZ game.

7 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

You are correct, there is a real chance the Skins are mailing it in. But you know that Cousins will be doing his best. Whether his teammates will support his efforts is a tougher question to answer. I usually default to vegas on those questions and if Vegas thinks the Skins are a 4pt favorite, that should tell you something. 

The only thing the Skins are mailing in are medical bills to DC hospitals. 

From what I've seen, Cousins hasn't had any time to throw since Thanksgiving. 

I don’t think many people gave the skins much of a chance against a surging Chargers team while being decimated with injuries. They should do much better at home and I believe if you stood in front of the team and made comments such as mailing it in u may

not make it out of there standing. There are more incentives then we may know to play hard even when games don’t count. Seems the Browns are still competing.  We may not see huge numbers from Cousins but respectable is very likely. He’s been battling all year long despite the injuries.

Edited by ocelot777
39 minutes ago, ocelot777 said:

I don’t think many people gave the skins much of a chance against a surging Chargers team while being decimated with injuries. They should do much better at home and I believe if you stood in front of the team and made comments such as mailing it in u may

not make it out of there standing. There are more incentives then we may know to play hard even when games don’t count. Seems the Browns are still competing.  We may not see huge numbers from Cousins but respectable is very likely. He’s been battling all year long despite the injuries.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. I don't think anyone is calling for a 400yard 4 TD performance, but I think a 320 2 or 3td-1int performance is very possible. In 7/13 games he has passed for 2 or 3 Tds and in 5/13 games he has passed for 300+. 

He is playing Arizona a team that gave up 290 and 3tds to Ryan Fitzpatrick and 230 with 2 Tds to Savage. 

3 hours ago, ocelot777 said:

and I believe if you stood in front of the team and made comments such as mailing it in u may

not make it out of there standing.

OHHHH NOZ!!!!11!! THE BIG, BAD TACKLE FOOSBALL PLAYERS ARE GONNA GET US??!?!11?

Related image

itsaprotip: if you ever played organized sports of any kind, you'd know that they are maybe hearing that same ish from their own coaching staff  - any reports of ambulances carting off Washington CS personnel?   plz keep us posted!

23 hours ago, ocelot777 said:

Same as me - 14 player/4 keeper league - however i picked up JimmyG last week and used him and am very tempted to do so again - Houston def is in tatters

54 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

By losing Chris Thompson. 

Yup, there's only so many weapons you can lose when you're not a truly elite QB. 

-Jordan Reed

-Chris Thompson

-Pryor (even though he just flat out sucked, I'm adding him to this list)

Don't forget the injuries in the OL. 

With all that said, I wouldn't be too surprised if Kirk can put up a 20+ pt game.

Cousins is a gamer and I think he can roll up 250 and 2 tds. Not superstar but solid numbers if your options are limited. Perine should be good to go as he was battling a stomach illness last week so that should help a bit...Well maybe.

Edited by ocelot777

All around, Cousins is a really good QB.  I'm happy to defend that statement with game tape anytime. 

While losing Reed is always a blow, the OL injuries mean more IMO.  That said, outside of Peterson, the AZ D is not particularly good right now.  They are 9th worst versus QBs.  Only Brisset, Hoyer and, most recently, Mariota, have failed to post 20 pt games (+/-) against them.

Cousins' prospects in this one are just fine.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

I think Cousins likely has a 'fine' fantasy game this week, but I don't really expect it to be a big one.  I'm thinking a decent floor with a fairly low ceiling.  O-line is still mangled, and the other injuries on offense have really been racking up.  

Also Arizona has been better against the pass than some are giving them credit for.  They really shut down Mariota this past week.  Week 13 they got beaten badly by the Rams, but Goff still only had 220-2TD-1INT, which is fine but nothing great.  Bortles put up good fantasy totals in Week 12, but he only threw for 160 yards-0TD-1INT - it was the 2 rushing TDs that saved his day.  Week 11 Tom Savage went 230-2-1, which again is fine, but not phenomenal.  Week 10 R. Wilson was 238-2-0.

You start to see a trend emerging - the Cards aren't going to get blown out by any QBs.  The games they give up big scores usually involve their offense giving up pick-6's and turning the ball over a lot.  I'd say based on the past few weeks, Cousins likely puts up 200-220 yards and 1-2 TDs, with likely a turnover in there too.  Pretty much what Arizona has been giving every QB.  If you feel confident in your semifinal matchup and just need 'not a dud', then Cousins is probably a safe play.  If you have an uphill climb and need a big performance, then you should likely look at guys like Garropolo or Bortles that have more boom or bust trajectories.

2 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I think Cousins likely has a 'fine' fantasy game this week, but I don't really expect it to be a big one.  I'm thinking a decent floor with a fairly low ceiling.  O-line is still mangled, and the other injuries on offense have really been racking up.  

Also Arizona has been better against the pass than some are giving them credit for.  They really shut down Mariota this past week.  Week 13 they got beaten badly by the Rams, but Goff still only had 220-2TD-1INT, which is fine but nothing great.  Bortles put up good fantasy totals in Week 12, but he only threw for 160 yards-0TD-1INT - it was the 2 rushing TDs that saved his day.  Week 11 Tom Savage went 230-2-1, which again is fine, but not phenomenal.  Week 10 R. Wilson was 238-2-0.

You start to see a trend emerging - the Cards aren't going to get blown out by any QBs.  The games they give up big scores usually involve their offense giving up pick-6's and turning the ball over a lot.  I'd say based on the past few weeks, Cousins likely puts up 200-220 yards and 1-2 TDs, with likely a turnover in there too.  Pretty much what Arizona has been giving every QB.  If you feel confident in your semifinal matchup and just need 'not a dud', then Cousins is probably a safe play.  If you have an uphill climb and need a big performance, then you should likely look at guys like Garropolo or Bortles that have more boom or bust trajectories.

Good points.

I picked up Bortles and will likely start him over Cousins. 

If WAS was in the playoff hunt, I'd more than likely stick with Cousins.

If there's one thing to hold your hat on, it's the fact that he is playing at home this week.  Arz Def has historically struggled in these east coast trips, even in their heyday.  

That said, Handyandy is spot on.  Expecting a 300 yd 3 TD output is nothing more than wishful thinking at this stage.