NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dez Bryant 2017 Season Outlook

Dez is a set and forget WR. He's going to have some monster weeks this year.  You just have to accept he will have some games like last week but all studs do. I believe Zeke on the field helps Dez and the entire offense obviously.

Edited by ponchsox
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ponchsox said:

Dez is a set and forget WR. He's going to have some monster weeks this year.  You just have to accept he will have some games like last week but all studs do.

I think we may be using the word "stud" a little loosely here. At one point, Dez was a stud. Once Romo started getting injured and became expendable, I wouldn't call Dez a "stud" anymore. Zeke is the biggest part of the offense and Dak has shown a propensity to spread the ball around. "Studs" are guys like Brown, OBJ, Julio, Green, Evans. Dez is still a weekly start just temper those "studly" expectations.

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

I think we may be using the word "stud" a little loosely here. At one point, Dez was a stud. Once Romo started getting injured and became expendable, I wouldn't call Dez a "stud" anymore. Zeke is the biggest part of the offense and Dak has shown a propensity to spread the ball around. "Studs" are guys like Brown, OBJ, Julio, Green, Evans. Dez is still a weekly start just temper those "studly" expectations.

I would call him the studliest non-stud, if that's a thing

On September 12, 2017 at 6:18 PM, burninglegs said:

Yeah, Dak was off and didn't even have Dez as his first read much of the game. Often he wouldn't even look Dez's direction. That should change going forward.

The thing about Dez is he isn't like a lot of other players where he just moves on and that's that.

He's very vocal about not getting used and i'm sure Dak knows damn well he missed Dez. If not from watching the tape but from Dez telling him next time he misses him he is going to kill him. 

14 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

I would call him the studliest non-stud, if that's a thing

He's a stud. This thread is overreacting like every single thread after week 1. He was on pace for 13 TDs last year after his return. The fact that people think he doesn't click with Dak after one game although all the reports have been pointing to them getting along very well is laughable.

16 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

He used to be a stud. This thread is overreacting like every single thread after week 1.

I fixed that for you.

As for overreacting, lets take a look at some of these so called "elite stats"

Over his last 23 games (2+ seasons due to injuries), he has a total of 83 receptions, 1240 yards, and 11 TD's. Just four 100 yd games during that span. These are NOT "stud" like numbers. And yes, when you have to go back to 2014 to talk about how he used to be a stud, it does become a what have you done for me lately type thing. He is a good WR2 fantasy WR. Stud? No!

Edited by nonstopfan
1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

Over his last 23 games (2+ seasons due to injuries), he has a total of 83 receptions, 1240 yards, and 11 TD's. These are NOT "stud" like numbers. And yes, when you have to go back to 2014 to talk about how he used to be a stud, it does become a what have you done for me lately type thing.

Fascinating. How about let's consider this and actually put context to these stats.

Two years ago when he was pretty bad during 2015 he had Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore throwing to him. Cassel was pathetic. He was throwing below 50% and under 150 yards consistently. This is equivalent to the Michael Vick argument to justify how Antonio Brown performs with someone not named Ben. It is lazy and lacks any context. Cassel was Michael Vick terrible if not worse.

Last year with Dak over the second half of the season when he came back from injury he was on pace for well over 1,000 yards and double digit TDs. This is without having a chance to gel with the QB for an entire off-season.

Your analysis is very lazy at best. Data cannot be presented without any context otherwise it tends to mislead. The reason you have to go back to 2014 is because he has been hurt and had to play with the worst QB situation in the NFL by far two years ago. If you want to make an argument that he is injury prone and a risk your argument will hold some water. As it is, there is a huge hole in your bucket. 

2 hours ago, ponchsox said:

Dez is a set and forget WR. He's going to have some monster weeks this year.  You just have to accept he will have some games like last week but all studs do. I believe Zeke on the field helps Dez and the entire offense obviously.

Dez is definitely in the WR1 territory, but this week he should be treated at best as a WR2. On the road against Denver is as tough as it gets.

If you're fortunate enough to have depth to bench him, I would. It'd have to be the right guy though.

All the "Dez isn't elite" anymore seem to be glossing over the clip above, where Dez had his man beat for an easy deep pass, as well as the slant in the end zone early in the game where Dak overthrew him.

If those two plays are converted, everyone is singing a different tune.

Aside from the obvious talent, Dez received double digit targets in three of the last six games of last season. He went over 100 yards in each of those games, with 3 TD's.

It seemed to coincide that the more comfortable and entrenched Dak got as the starter, the better the rapport was between he and Dez. I don't expect that to take a step back this season.

If anything last week was a fluke. I believe he had 4 red zone targets. (maybe 3) And two huge yardage plays that were off target. He could have easily had a monster week against a above average D. Stud or not, we'll have to see, but he def should not be on anyone's bench at this point.

13 minutes ago, Halberdier said:

If anything last week was a fluke. I believe he had 4 red zone targets. (maybe 3) And two huge yardage plays that were off target. He could have easily had a monster week against a above average D. Stud or not, we'll have to see, but he def should not be on anyone's bench at this point.

Yep last week wasn't DEZ'S fault; I blame DAK's throwing. I ain't too worried just yet. Start worrying in the middle of the season. 

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Dez is definitely in the WR1 territory, but this week he should be treated at best as a WR2. On the road against Denver is as tough as it gets.

If you're fortunate enough to have depth to bench him, I would. It'd have to be the right guy though.

Rivers didn't do too bad against Denver's D. I'm not sitting Dez but won't be upset if he has a quiet game.

Never sit your studs.

Dak has been dreadful.  Dez was wide open for a TD in week 1 and Dak air mailed an easy throw to him.  Another throw to him in the end zone today hung up way too long and was on the wrong side or else he'd have scored a brace of TDs today.  But Dez has been holding up his end of the bargain.  A double digit TD season is in his grasp yet again if he stays healthy.

I think that Dak to Dez connection is slowly starting to be established. Disappointing points for week 1, but the targets and general involvement were there. Week 2, manages a good performance playing in Denver against the league's best pass defense. He's the Cowboys' only dynamic pass-catcher, so teams key on him, but he still gets open throughout the game  If the ground game gets going, those 2, 3 TD games will be a lot more likely.  Start this guy every week.

Edited by EaglesRocker97