NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dez Bryant 2017 Season Outlook

4 hours ago, mevins31 said:

I mean; someone takes dez in the second round in about every league I've seen. If you were the 10th selection in a 12 team league.... and you went RB with your first pick... and you needed a WR; what do you do? There's Dez.. Tyreek Hill staring you in the face. Ancient Fitzgerald. I'm sorry but drafting Dez in the second round is fine and has a low floor. They're going to trail a lot this year and he's in his prime. It's not like you can wait and get dez in the third. It doesn't happen.

Dez average adp across all platforms is 20, or late second round. Not unreasonable that he's tavern early third. I like Dez, but he's not an early second round player.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The Packers were a CFL-level defense. We all know that. 

Not a coincidence Dez has been dominated by elite CBs the past 3 seasons -- and he'll face them plenty this season (Jenkins x2, Norman x2, Peterson, Peters, Sherman, Talib, Verrett, Trufant, etc.).

Going to be a rude awakening for the third straight season for anyone drafting him as their WR1. 

Edited by JD88
10 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Why not?  He's 28 years old.  Touchdown machine.  He looked pretty good in the playoffs last year against the Packers, no?

Kaepernick also made the Packers defense look like the little Giants for years and where is he now?

Don't use the Packers are basis for touting an offensive player please lol

47 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

Kaepernick also made the Packers defense look like the little Giants for years and where is he now?

Don't use the Packers are basis for touting an offensive player please lol

Okay.  Do we have to discount his games against the Redskins, Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, Vikings, Bucs, and Lions last year as well?  Or am I allowed to use those?

3 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Okay.  Do we have to discount his games against the Redskins, Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, Vikings, Bucs, and Lions last year as well?  Or am I allowed to use those?

The Packers have historically been abused against big physical WRs. Go down the line: Moss, Plaxico, Calvin, Dez, the list goes on......

I'm just saying, don't look too far into that one game as ammo for your argument.

22 hours ago, jbshaw said:

So why is Baldwin, coming off his most targeted season ever, with other young up and coming receivers on the team, and a team that wants to run the ball more, a better guy than Bryant, who has a still growing QB, no real competition at WR on the team, and a team much more likely to pass more.  Keep in mind he's already beating Baldwin at the status quo. 

Seattle plays against the #1 easiest schedule in the league in terms of WR defense.  Dallas is #14, and looking closer you can see a murderer's row of shutdown #1 CBs, most of whom you can assume will be shadowing Dez.  Also, I bet many people think of Dez as injury-prone, a label I disagree with.

1 hour ago, scheibler said:

Dez should be primary focus through the 1st 6 games of season with Zeke out. I'm tempted to draft him 2nd rd and flip him while his value is high

Who would you flip him for? Targets in mind?

2 minutes ago, ISXXVII said:

Who would you flip him for? Targets in mind?

Any otyer big nake that you like more that may start slow. Or flip him for two guys. I just think he'll have a huge start then regress as they stop going pass heavy

2 hours ago, ponchsox said:

lol

Lol laugh all u want but dez really hasn't been great since his season a few years ago. Dallas loves to run the ball and control the clock. They don't sling the football around for fantasy purposes. Redskins throw a lot more 

7 minutes ago, ShowStopper said:

Lol laugh all u want but dez really hasn't been great since his season a few years ago. Dallas loves to run the ball and control the clock. They don't sling the football around for fantasy purposes. Redskins throw a lot more 

Dez had one of his best seasons with Demarco Murray nearly toting the rock 400 times. 

Zeke is out for 6 games, the offensive line isn't as dominant and the defense to me looks skeptical. 

Dez is going to have a great year. 

17 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Dez had one of his best seasons with Demarco Murray nearly toting the rock 400 times. 

Zeke is out for 6 games, the offensive line isn't as dominant and the defense to me looks skeptical. 

Dez is going to have a great year. 

Cooper at LG and RT Collins were excellent yesterday.  Showed great improvement over their previous pre-season performances.  

Problem is it was against the pathetic Colts so the competition wasn't great.  Regardless, they dominated.

The most frustrating thing about owning Dez is when he gets absolutely zero targets for entire halfs.

If you own him be careful watching Cowboy games. You'll put a hole in a wall from the frustration. His stretches with zero usage is more mystifying than A.J Green and that's saying a lot.

5558.jpg

Dak Prescott said his "chemistry" with Dez Bryant "has grown" this offseason.

"He's been a guy that his ears are wide open, wanting to know what I'm thinking," Prescott said. "It's just been back and forth of just talking and doing it out there on the field and it's only growing." The connection was on display in the second preseason game, with Dez hauling in two passes for 55 yards and an impressive touchdown. A yearly threat for double-digit scores, Dez is a back-end WR1.
Aug 21 - 10:34 AM
On 8/16/2017 at 4:15 PM, joshua18 said:

Here is the Barrett data:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/metrics-that-matter-the-cb-sensitive-dez-bryant/

Reach your own conclusions. 

I don't know how you use any 2015 data to rate Dez.  The offense was helmed by a bunch of NFL Europe quality QBs and was basically a college offense running McFadden 30 times a game.  I mean that season is just a total toss out for him and any "good corner / bad corner" analysis using that year is going to completely unrepresentative.  

For me, I'm worried about Dez's health and the fact that he sometimes gets ignored in the offense.  Not that he is incapable of beating good corners (any more than any other top WRs are) because someone did a study that included an injury-riddled year with Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore, and Brandon Weeden all getting multiple starts.

Does PFF have any data on how WRs do on a per-target basis with Cassel, Moore, Weeden compared to competent QBs?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ponchsox said:

Not a lot of people talking about Dez. Solid 2nd round pick?

People are down on him because of the "elite cbs shut down dez and he faces a ton of them this season" narrative all the analysts are going on about. Maybe his numbers were bad vs elite cbs, but just like other posters said...they don't take into account the horrible qb play. He finally had a healthy offseason and dak doesn't seem like he will have a sophomore slump, he actually looks like he has improved ina lot of areas...Dez is also one of the best red zone threats in the nfl. I have no problem drafting him in the second.