NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook

2 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

The whole point is it's ridiculous to call him a "bust" and say "he sucks". He's been making great contact all year and that can be indicated by multiple posts above. He's obviously going to be an elite fantasy asset this year, and to say otherwise is pretty silly

Haven't seen many (if any) posts saying he sucks. And no, he hasn't been making great contact all year. As has been touched on- he hasn't been driving the ball with authority, which is why his ISO has taken a nosedive. Do I expect that to continue? No... as I've said from the start, my worry level with Betts is pretty low, but when a guy is substantially underperforming a month in it's fair to look at and discuss why.

Edited by absknicks
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Haven't seen many (if any) posts saying he sucks. And no, he hasn't been making great contact all year. As has been touched on- he hasn't been driving the ball with authority, which is why his ISO has taken a nosedive. Do I expect that to continue? No... as I've said from the start, my worry level with Betts is pretty low, but when a guy is substantially underperforming a month in it's fair to look at and discuss why.

2016 hard hit %...... 33.4%
2017 hard hit %...... 34.4%

Alternative facts like he isn't "driving the ball with authority" aren't conducive to good discussion.

26 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Yes it's fair to discuss. And many of us had some good discussion on it. The K-streak messing with his power was a legit point. I know you keep saying "you've seen most of his ABs" and he's not hitting the ball hard, but his hard hit rate and LD% were up. And I posted all those statistics as we discussed that some of his struggles were just bad luck. I'm sorry, but the facts disagree with your eyeball test.

But don't try to blame "us" for not being able to have a discussion. We did. With facts. And you know the responses we got?

"Another GB? Was it hit hard? Because I'm down in my hard hit% category in my fantasy league."

Derp.

It's those who don't understand statistics who prevent dialogue.  

5 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

I wonder who's going to complain that he's....A Triple Short of the Cycle

he was one of only 3 players to make an out in that 10 run 9th inning, that's just unacceptable from my first round pick.

21 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

So...are you actually still finding something to complain about....? Jesus

Some people you'll never please. What is going to be funny is when Mookie goes on that hot streak. Not if, but when.......It is coming!

2 hours ago, det_tigers said:

Congrats Mookie for getting some stats in 17 run scored game by Boston.

This is about as lazy as it gets. It was 7-6 going into the 9th btw. He had already singled and homered by then. It's times like this we need a "dislike" button..

5 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Mookie is who we thought he was.

"Bust" was being thrown around by some trolls but as you can see they are all, ahem, *crickets* today. 

right here actually.  its nice to see him actually hit like a top 5 pick.  

hes still been very underwhelming.

Edited by crotchcrickets
6 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

His home run was smacked at 110 mph since I know that's what you're wondering :)

12 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

Its always entertaining when the people show up after someone has 1 good game after a month of doing very little. I was happy for the game yesterday but do you think he could actually maybe get hot for a week or 2? After his last good game people said here comes the hot streak and blah blah blah and he turned into garbage again

1 hour ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Its always entertaining when the people show up after someone has 1 good game after a month of doing very little. I was happy for the game yesterday but do you think he could actually maybe get hot for a week or 2? After his last good game people said here comes the hot streak and blah blah blah and he turned into garbage again

Yes we think he could do that because he has been hitting the ball hard, just getting unlucky. Try to keep up.

1 minute ago, Hasselhoff said:

Do we think Farrell keeps him at leadoff for a while? Seems like he'd be a good fit there.

Benintendi is hitting like the best player on the team, and we've begun to put some runs on the board. I expect Farrell to keep what's working.