NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OPS below .800 and we're now entering the second week of June. Are we allowed to acknowledge its been a struggle yet? He's ranked in the 50s in traditional 5x5 but for a guy who was the second guy off the board in a lot of drafts that's not going to cut it. I really don't like the feel/look of that Sox lineup either, although I'm sure someone will just chalk that up to me being a biased Yankees fan.

5 minutes ago, absknicks said:

OPS below .800 and we're now entering the second week of June. Are we allowed to acknowledge its been a struggle yet? He's ranked in the 50s in traditional 5x5 but for a guy who was the second guy off the board in a lot of drafts that's not going to cut it. I really don't like the feel/look of that Sox lineup either, although I'm sure someone will just chalk that up to me being a biased Yankees fan.

no, the bottom of the order is atrocious. Marrero is hitting .160 or something like that. 

It's only a matter of time before the top-3 start producing together (Betts/Benny/Bogaerts)... makes me think of Biggio/Bell/Berkman hehe

it will be real nice to get Pedroia back. and honestly, if I were Boston, I'd bring up some of their young talents and try to see what they have. 

As for Mookie, he mostly looks like the same guy to me-- though he might be pressing a little. Best "buy low" in the league right now, not that owners would give him up for anything less than a superstar, or a massive throbbing package of good players. I'm not worried. The counting stats will come. The line drives will stop finding mitts. The weather will warm up and Mookie will be lashing lasers over the monster... all will be well in the Mookieverse.  

I see the Buy Low opportunity... just think you're more likely to get 2015 than 2016 Mookie for this year at least. 2015 Mookie was still a top-35 player, just not the top-2 player he was last year.

I have to say I've watched the lionshare of his ABs and he's not scalding the ball right at people or anything. Lots of lazy popups and rollovers to third. So while I definitely expect some average correction I don't think this is something you can simply chalk up to bad luck. 

Edited by absknicks
30 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I see the Buy Low opportunity... just think you're more likely to get 2015 than 2016 Mookie for this year at least. 2015 Mookie was still a top-35 player, just not the top-2 player he was last year.

I have to say I've watched the lionshare of his ABs and he's not scalding the ball right at people or anything. Lots of lazy popups and rollovers to third. So while I definitely expect some average correction I don't think this is something you can simply chalk up to bad luck. 

Well the .261 babip says otherwise. Walk rate up, strikeouts down. His OBP is .20 points down from last year, while his avg is down .50 points. 

ISO at .200 while he was sitting at .216 last year (.188 in 2015). But his hardhit% is a bit higher than last year

He's swinging at less pitches outside, and in the zone, so maybe he needs to be more aggressive. 

Everything about this says positive regression is coming, unless you can point out something I'm missing. I'm trying to buy hard.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=13611&position=OF

Edited by street sharks
1 hour ago, Evincar said:

Red Sox were up 11-3 in the 8th with two men on and two outs and he just stared at two straight fastballs down the middle. Not sure what's up with him lately.

Pretty sure they were sliders (84 and 83 mph), and they weren't down the middle (statcast put them on the top of the zone and inside) - he fouled off the fastball and then the catcher went out to talk to him, probably to throw another slider - which betts flied out on.

3 hours ago, Evincar said:

Red Sox were up 11-3 in the 8th with two men on and two outs and he just stared at two straight fastballs down the middle. Not sure what's up with him lately.

He's a SPOS that's whats up. I kid, very very frustrating to own right now. Doesn't help I have Miggy/Machado/Lucroy/Desmond either. I've seen a lot of games too and just hard to watch. Their Betts be a hot streak coming. 

Edited by tonywow
26 minutes ago, tonywow said:

He's a SPOS that's whats up. I kid, very very frustrating to own right now. Doesn't help I have Miggy/Machado/Lucroy/Desmond either. I've seen a lot of games too and just hard to watch. Their Betts be a hot streak coming. 

12th ranked hitter in yahoo points.  I know he will get hot real soon.   29/24 BB/K tells me all I need to know

Turned the game on heard them say he had 3 doubles, stole a bag too. Hopefully he's on the verge.

Edited by tonywow

Betts is on pace for something like a .275, 90 R, 20 HR, 90 RBI, 25 SB season 

If you get those #s out of him by end of season -- you made a successful 1st round pick.

This thread should have the equivalent of a single page or two ... there's nothing to see here folks.

15 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Betts is on pace for something like a .275, 90 R, 20 HR, 90 RBI, 25 SB season 

If you get those #s out of him by end of season -- you made a successful 1st round pick.

This thread should have the equivalent of a single page or two ... there's nothing to see here folks.

I disagree. Those are Ian Desmond 2016 type numbers and he finished 35th overall in standard 5x5 last year. 

Mookie went #2 overall in most drafts. Important point to remember. This isn't an end of the first rounder, this is a guy who some people were talking about supplanting Trout as the #1 fantasy asset as soon as this year. 

10 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I disagree. Those are Ian Desmond 2016 type numbers and he finished 35th overall in standard 5x5 last year. 

Mookie went #2 overall in most drafts. Important point to remember. This isn't an end of the first rounder, this is a guy who some people were talking about supplanting Trout as the #1 fantasy asset as soon as this year. 

Agreed...Mookie is a colossal bust at his draft position especially in the year of late round or undrafted breakouts. It would not surprise me if Trout outproduce s Mookie Sucks even with the injury.

This is not fantasy NBA where you need 1st round ROI on a 1st round draft pick in order for your fantasy team to be successful.

In fantasy baseball, you draft 23+ players .. its the collective of your draft that will win or lose you your league. 

Taking "safe" players in the first round is a viable strategy. In fantasy baseball, more so than any of the other sports, dodging "land mines" in the first couple dozen or so picks is even more important than plucking out the couple of guys who are going to have historically great fantasy seasons.

I didn't take Mookie Betts #3 in my draft to replicate last season's otherworldly 30/30/130/130/.300+ numbers ... i took Betts because i knew his absolute worst season -- his floor -- would still have my fantasy team in a good position to win a championship ... (e.g. a .275/20/20/85/85 type season).

A LOT can happen in a hot week or two of performance (and there's still 3.5 months left in the season ) .. so none of this to say that Mookie Betts is going to produce his "floor" in 2017 ... just making a broader point about roto baseball draft philosophy/evaluating fantasy team performance and Betts' season so far happens to be a good case study.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
2 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

This is not fantasy NBA where you need 1st round ROI on a 1st round draft pick in order for your fantasy team to be successful.

In fantasy baseball, you draft 23+ players .. its the collective of your draft that will win or lose you your league. 

Taking "safe" players in the first round is a viable strategy. 

I didn't take Mookie Betts #3 in my draft to replicate last season's otherworldly 30/30/130/130/.300+ numbers ... i took Betts because i knew his absolute worst season -- his floor -- would still have my fantasy team in a good position to win a championship ... (e.g. a .275/20/20/85/85 type season).

In fantasy baseball, more so than any of the other sports, dodging "land mines" in the first couple dozen or so picks is even more important than plucking out the couple of guys who are going to have historically great fantasy seasons.

A LOT can happen in a hot week or two of performance (and there's still 3.5 months left in the season ) .. so none of this to say that Mookie Betts is going to produce his "floor" in 2017 ... just making a broader point about draft philosophy/evaluating fantasy team performance and Betts' season so far happens to be a good case study.

True...You need pickup/draft last round guys like Judge ( who became the best player in baseball ), Zimmerman, etc...to accommodate the mediocre of Mookie ( most overrated player in baseball )

42 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

True...You need pickup/draft last round guys like Judge ( who became the best player in baseball ), Zimmerman, etc...to accommodate the mediocre of Mookie ( most overrated player in baseball )

He just had a 4/5 3 double 1 rbi 1 run 1 walk and a stolen base night. Sure a few more ducks on the pond would have been nice to go along with those doubles but god damn. How can you call him the most overrated player in baseball after a night like that? If those arent first round "floor" numbers then I dont know what are. Mediocre, lol. 

34 minutes ago, BohCountyBats said:

He just had a 4/5 3 double 1 rbi 1 run 1 walk and a stolen base night. Sure a few more ducks on the pond would have been nice to go along with those doubles but god damn. How can you call him the most overrated player in baseball after a night like that? If those arent first round "floor" numbers then I dont know what are. Mediocre, lol. 

You could have picked up Didi Gregerious and got almost the same stat line. Does Didi now have first round floor numbers?

I wish it was not true although it appears Mookie is overrated this year

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

You could have picked up Didi Gregerious and got almost the same stat line. Does Didi now have first round floor numbers?

I wish it was not true although it appears Mookie is overrated this year

Didi has 138 points in my CBS points league, Mookie has 242. Nice comp bro.