Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

On 6/7/2017 at 8:28 PM, street sharks said:

 

Well the .261 babip says otherwise. Walk rate up, strikeouts down. His OBP is .20 points down from last year, while his avg is down .50 points. 

 

ISO at .200 while he was sitting at .216 last year (.188 in 2015). But his hardhit% is a bit higher than last year

 

He's swinging at less pitches outside, and in the zone, so maybe he needs to be more aggressive. 

 

Everything about this says positive regression is coming, unless you can point out something I'm missing. I'm trying to buy hard.

 

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=13611&position=OF

 

I tried to tell ya'll!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mookie just got hit in the knee with a pitch, then while on 2nd was hit in the elbow with a pickoff attempt by the pitcher, he stayed in the game and his knee seemed fine, but he's been grabbing and stretching his arm a lot in the dugout. This could be a potential cause for concern and something to monitor. I'm hoping its nothing serious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Betts owners may have dodged 2 big bullets. Betts got drilled square in the right knee by a fastball I believe. Then same inning on a pick off attempt, the pitcher made a throw to 2B hit him right in the elbow. He stayed in the game and scored, but man i thought he was seriously injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still in the game. Looked like by reading his lips in the dugout he was telling the coaches he is ok. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a day off their next game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tonywow said:

He's still in the game. Looked like by reading his lips in the dugout he was telling the coaches he is ok. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a day off their next game.

Yeah I imagine he'll get a day off after this one. I don't think its anything serious but he's gonna be bruised up pretty well after this game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, warningtrackpower said:

He's in the lineup, leading off tonight.

 

My heart could have gone without that top of the 7th last night. It was like the injury version of Final Destination.

 

It was like watching Scott Sterling out there

Link to post
Share on other sites

After the chest thumping by some posters during the brief hot streak against the Phillies last week he's fallen back into a bit of a rut. 3 for his last 21, back under .270. He had a very nice May but his April/June look very similar so far. 

Edited by absknicks
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to believe Domingo Santana has like the same exact stats with 40 less at bats than Mookie this year, that's pathetic. I'm hoping it won't be this close much longer or ROS, but it hasn't been a fun ride so far. 

 

Betts       45 Rs, 77 Hs, 12 HRs, 40 RBIs, 11 SBs, 32 BBs .273 AVG 282 ABs

Domingo 40 Rs, 65 Hs, 12 HRs, 38 RBIs, 6 SBs, 35 BBs, .269 AVG 242 ABs

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Hard to believe Domingo Santana has like the same exact stats with 40 less at bats than Mookie this year, that's pathetic. I'm hoping it won't be this close much longer or ROS, but it hasn't been a fun ride so far. 

 

Betts       45 Rs, 77 Hs, 12 HRs, 40 RBIs, 11 SBs, 32 BBs .273 AVG 282 ABs

Domingo 40 Rs, 65 Hs, 12 HRs, 38 RBIs, 6 SBs, 35 BBs, .269 AVG 242 ABs

 

there are 162 games during a baseball season .. 

 

players with big time track records (like Mookie Betts') can put up .450 / 15 R / 5 HR / 15 RBI / 5 SB weeks out of the blue ... and shoot up the rankings nearly instantly. It's a LONG season. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Hard to believe Domingo Santana has like the same exact stats with 40 less at bats than Mookie this year, that's pathetic. I'm hoping it won't be this close much longer or ROS, but it hasn't been a fun ride so far. 

 

Betts       45 Rs, 77 Hs, 12 HRs, 40 RBIs, 11 SBs, 32 BBs .273 AVG 282 ABs

Domingo 40 Rs, 65 Hs, 12 HRs, 38 RBIs, 6 SBs, 35 BBs, .269 AVG 242 ABs

But this says a lot more about Domingo Santana's season than Mookie's. Not sure that's fair. Nobody downplayed what Altuve did last year because Villar was so close to him. 

As for Mookie, his HR/SB pace is fine. Average is uncharacteristically low. But those counting stats might just end up being a touch low. Most of us thought this offense would continue to click and be one of the best in MLB. Currently they're 15th in runs scored. Average. And what's strange is that no one has been AWFUL. I mean, Hanley hasn't been great, but it's not like they have a few .210 hitters. It's just bizarre that they can't seem to string together big innings. This may be bad luck that works itself out, we'll see. 

I just have a hard time calling a guy on pace for 27 HR/27 SB & 100 runs as "pathetic." 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's 32nd overall in my league.  He's been a mild disappointment but hardly a bust.  The bust has been the Red Sox lineup.  Without Papi it is a JAG filled bunch.  Papi likely inflated Mookie's counting stats.  He's still a great fantasy player, but without Papi, or someone with similar slugging capability behind him it won't be easy to repeat last season.

Edited by Cmilne23
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

But this says a lot more about Domingo Santana's season than Mookie's. Not sure that's fair. Nobody downplayed what Altuve did last year because Villar was so close to him. 

As for Mookie, his HR/SB pace is fine. Average is uncharacteristically low. But those counting stats might just end up being a touch low. Most of us thought this offense would continue to click and be one of the best in MLB. Currently they're 15th in runs scored. Average. And what's strange is that no one has been AWFUL. I mean, Hanley hasn't been great, but it's not like they have a few .210 hitters. It's just bizarre that they can't seem to string together big innings. This may be bad luck that works itself out, we'll see. 

I just have a hard time calling a guy on pace for 27 HR/27 SB & 100 runs as "pathetic." 

I meant pathetic and unfortunate as of today not ROS. Just very frustrated and was surprised when seeing both players stats how close they are that's all. For me it might be more tolerable if I didn't also have Miggy/Machado/Lucroy this year lol, it's really sucked so far. Domingo has definitely had a decent year for himself, I like his prospects going ahead too. 

 

I'm a Sox fan too and watch most of the games. Just super, super, aggravating seeing them score runs and Betts not always joining the party. One plus has been the rest of the team has been hitting and getting on base at a decent rate, Betts has had and should continue to have lots of opportunities. I guess for as much as he's struggled I should be happy for what he has chipped in so far, if this is what he does through his dry spell this year, it will be a fun ride second half hopefully if he gets going on all cylinders. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I just have a hard time calling a guy on pace for 27 HR/27 SB & 100 runs as "pathetic." 

 

I would consider myself a no s--- fantasy basketball expert.  I'm good.  But I'm just a random dude when it comes to fantasy baseball.  Reading through this thread really makes me wonder how weird the scoring is in my big money points league because as of right now (well, yesterday's games), Betts is the overall 11th best player, 8th best batter, 3rd best outfielder.  It's gotta be even more random and idiosyncratic than I thought for this (him being "pathetic") to even be a discussion.

 

I don't run the league, obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

 

I would consider myself a no s--- fantasy basketball expert.  I'm good.  But I'm just a random dude when it comes to fantasy baseball.  Reading through this thread really makes me wonder how weird the scoring is in my big money points league because as of right now (well, yesterday's games), Betts is the overall 11th best player, 8th best batter, 3rd best outfielder.  It's gotta be even more random and idiosyncratic than I thought for this (him being "pathetic") to even be a discussion.

 

I don't run the league, obviously.

 

He's right around 45th overall in standard 5x5 scoring (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

 

I would consider myself a no s--- fantasy basketball expert.  I'm good.  But I'm just a random dude when it comes to fantasy baseball.  Reading through this thread really makes me wonder how weird the scoring is in my big money points league because as of right now (well, yesterday's games), Betts is the overall 11th best player, 8th best batter, 3rd best outfielder.  It's gotta be even more random and idiosyncratic than I thought for this (him being "pathetic") to even be a discussion.

 

I don't run the league, obviously.

 

 

No, you're in a normal points league.  Mookie is 8th top hitter, in mine also.  My league is about 18 years old and we use almost every category that you see in MLB.com box score.  14 offensive, in total.  It shows who the best overall baseball players are.  Mookie has been the 8th best offesive player, in baseball, this year

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rankings
Fantasy
   
                 

 

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/107674/players?&sort=AR&sdir=1&status=ALL&pos=B&stat1=S_S_2017&jsenabled=1

                     

 

 

 

Edited by rich22
Link to post
Share on other sites

You 

1 hour ago, tonywow said:

Hard to believe Domingo Santana has like the same exact stats with 40 less at bats than Mookie this year, that's pathetic. I'm hoping it won't be this close much longer or ROS, but it hasn't been a fun ride so far. 

 

Betts       45 Rs, 77 Hs, 12 HRs, 40 RBIs, 11 SBs, 32 BBs .273 AVG 282 ABs

Domingo 40 Rs, 65 Hs, 12 HRs, 38 RBIs, 6 SBs, 35 BBs, .269 AVG 242 ABs

 

You left out 

 

Betts            24 2B's, 26 K's, 

Domingo      12 2B's  74 K's

 

almost triple the amounts of K's in 40 less AB's

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

So, we know he is "good". 

 

But is he ordinary?

I think he is the most overrated player in the game and will never sniff .300 again although I am not supposed to say that here

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Whom said:

I think he is the most overrated player in the game and will never sniff .300 again although I am not supposed to say that here

It's okay to say it here. It should be fine. Thats what this place is for, opinions. And I think you're closer to being right than being wrong. 

 

I just think its funny. I was in the "he is a generational talent" crowd in March and I gotta say, he's just ordinary. A good couple months could change it, but those asshats in my leagues who wouldn't trade him for 3-4 top 50 players with 1-2 being in the top 10 should be ashamed of themselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...