Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

An overrated solo shot

That average though...

He's still meh whether they like it or not. 13 bombs for a guy who was taken after trout in a year when guys are sneezing and hit 20 out by this point? Who cares. Again I dont own him just one man's opinion. It isn't there so I am just checking the temp seeing if people are still pretending something is there that isnt. 

46 minutes ago, codyodea said:

Just for fun, and not to prove any points, here's some stats.

Player A: 45/13/32/14.  .249/.320/.490

Player B: 48/12/41/12.  .272/.347/.475

Keon Broxton

Mookie Betts

This guy is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. Without ever going on an extended hot streak this year he is on pace for 28/28 with 58 doubles. He's walking considerably more than he's striking out. There's no way he's only a .277 hitter. Anyone complaining about this guy must have drafted complete doo-doo around him. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
Just now, DannyMcPot said:

This guy is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. Without ever going on an extended hot streak this year he is on pace for 28/28 with 57 doubles. He's walking considerably more than he's striking out. There's no way he's only a .277 hitter. Anyone complaining about this guy must have drafted complete doo-doo around him. 

This is subjective of course but to me... the guy was picked #2 overall in most formats. The expectations a lot of people had have not been met. He's currently ranked around ~40 in standard 5x5. He hasn't been in the top-25 at any point this season that I can recall. I'm sure those in keeper formats and points leagues are happy, but for the rest of us he's been a bit of a letdown. It's important to consider the different formats people play when discussing these players as perception is often dictated by that on these forums.

15 minutes ago, absknicks said:

This is subjective of course but to me... the guy was picked #2 overall in most formats. The expectations a lot of people had have not been met. He's currently ranked around ~40 in standard 5x5. He hasn't been in the top-25 at any point this season that I can recall. I'm sure those in keeper formats and points leagues are happy, but for the rest of us he's been a bit of a letdown. It's important to consider the different formats people play when discussing these players as perception is often dictated by that on these forums.

He is on pace to deliver owners a very similar season to last year which would be first round value. I'm not really sure what the let down is in any format. If I told you at the beginning of the year he'd end up with .280/28/28, you'd be disappointed? 

Mookie was a safe pick with a very high floor and he's delivered an extremely solid season so far. Again, he hasn't even gone on a real tear yet and his BABIP is sitting at a career low. He could actually turn in a better season than last year. 

If anything has disappointed me this year in regard to Mookie's fantasy season, it's been the Red Sox. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
9 minutes ago, absknicks said:

In a redraft, right now, for rest of season,where would he be drafted.  I still say top 10.    I don't think he has been disappointing, other than his BA, and that was at .287 at the end of June, last year.     People are complaining just to complain.   After today, he will be around the 20th ranked batter in redrafts.   Many, ahead of him, weren't even drafted or drafted after rd 20.    Judge, Zimmerman, Dickerson, Bellinger, Reynolds, Smoak, and Shaw.    When drafting, top few rounds, you should be considering the floor.   When drafting a 2nd or 3rd overall pick, you are not, necessarily, expecting a top 3 overall ranking.   

He had a ridiculous July and August, last year.   If he even comes close, to that, he will end up a top 10 offensive player

47 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

This guy is awesome, I don't care what anyone says. Without ever going on an extended hot streak this year he is on pace for 28/28 with 58 doubles. He's walking considerably more than he's striking out. There's no way he's only a .277 hitter. Anyone complaining about this guy must have drafted complete doo-doo around him. 

Feels a lot like correa 2016 only he went 2 overall. People could never just admit correa was meh last year 

2 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Feels a lot like correa 2016 only he went 2 overall. People could never just admit correa was meh last year 

I mean... Correa went .274/20/13 in '16. Not exactly what Mookie is on pace for. If he ends up with those numbers this year, yeah I'd be very disappointed. But he's on his way close to a 30/30 year. 

9 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Mookie already has more steals than Correa had all season, plus Mookie is, on pace, for 106 runs and Correa had 76.   Only the BA and RBI are  similar

Edited by rich22

Just put some of these guys on ignore. 

They have absolutely no concept of what it means to draft a player knowing he has a really high floor no matter how much explanation is given. 

If you take the average production from the first round (say all 12 players taken in the first round) .. Mookie Betts 53/13/43/14/.275 first-half would probably rank above average.

In 3 month samples (half season) there's still all kinds of noise in the data and all kinds of players still playing way above or below their career paces. This will even out as the plate appearances accrue. And so long as Mookie stays healthy he'll provide a nice 5 cat season that probably ranks at or around the top 25 overall .. with the ceiling to finish #1 overall. But even if he finishes at his current pace @ ~30-40ish overall, it was still a very solid pick that wouldn't knock you out of contention. 

It's the picks where the guy is a total bust/goes injured most of the season/etc. that you have to dodge in the first round at all cost. 

A typical stud having a solid across the board season usually keeps you in contention so long as the rest of your team was drafted competently. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted
8 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

I mean... Correa went .274/20/13 in '16. Not exactly what Mookie is on pace for. If he ends up with those numbers this year, yeah I'd be very disappointed. But he's on his way close to a 30/30 year. 

The replacement value for a SS is also way lower. Correa's 20 HR, 100 RBI, .275 BA, 10 SB season likely didn't cost anybody their league. People also drafted Correa knowing that the skills were there for a really high floor as well. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted