NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook

8 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

^

It took one big game and he's now on pace to outproduce his previous season in HR/SB. 

Absolutely ridiculous to me that he doesn't steal more. For guys stealing 20+ bases a year, has one of the best success %'s in baseball (very rarely gets caught)

6 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

Might be the best all-around player in baseball.

No way am I giving this to anyone else but Trout. However, worth noting that Mookie is 3rd in UZR this year (5th last year), just ahead of Arenado and Machado. His defense doesn't get talked about enough. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people think I was trying to prove a point with my Keon stat comparison.  I really was not.  I guess it wasn't super relevant they just had similar stats at the time.  Mookie is clearly a warlord. 

1 minute ago, rich22 said:

Not quite.   On pace for 29 HR.  He hit 31 last year

I'm calculating for the same number of ABs as last year. Maybe my math is off but I got 31.4 HR pace for this year. 

Doesn't really matter much, the point is he's putting up practically the same season as last year with room for growth. Stud!

Just now, DannyMcPot said:

I'm calculating for the same number of ABs as last year. Maybe my math is off but I got 31.4 HR pace for this year. 

Doesn't really matter much, the point is he's putting up practically the same season as last year with room for growth. Stud!

ok.  my bad, i'm going by games

3 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Absolutely ridiculous to me that he doesn't steal more. For guys stealing 20+ bases a year, has one of the best success %'s in baseball (very rarely gets caught)

He's been picking up the pace lately and should end up with more SB this year so maybe that trend continues ?

2 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

1 minute ago, rich22 said:

ok.  my bad, i'm going by games

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe per PA would be the best calculation for this stat

2 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe per PA would be the best calculation for this stat

You could totally be right, I usually use ABs but he's roughly on pace for 30 using PAs. 

1 hour ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Rendon's 6-6, 3 HR, 10 RBI game back in April still takes the cake.

I agree. I just like the fact that Mookie stole a bag to put the cherry on top

8 hours ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Yeah if he'd just stop trotting around the bases maybe he could steal a bit more.

I wish someone would find the clip of him in the dugout after his second homer.  Usually hitters chat with their kind and starters hover together there but him and Chris Sale were sitting together and laughing and joking and grinning and talking it up together like brothers from different mothers.  Nice to see the fun and joy those guys have about the game.

10 hours ago, 6Kill said:

Call me crazy guys, I mean yea, I guess I might be missing out on some decent SB numbers but I'm benching this guy until he can hit for a decent average (>.310) and get his infield pop outs under control. 

Did you bench him for the whole Toronto series?

10 hours ago, 6Kill said:

Call me crazy guys, I mean yea, I guess I might be missing out on some decent SB numbers but I'm benching this guy until he can hit for a decent average (>.310) and get his infield pop outs under control. 

Well since you asked me to ... yes, you are crazy.

His 8 RBI from the leadoff spot today tie a major league record.  

Simply, en fuego.

Just to be perfectly clear, I was being sarcastic.  Despite being a die hard Yankee fan, I've been fortunate enough to have Mookie in my lineup for every game he has started this year.  Im appalled that people who have 1,000s of posts are either too careless or naive to take his BABIP into consideration when having the nerve to complain about his batting average. 

7 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

His 8 RBI from the leadoff spot today tie a major league record.  

Simply, en fuego.

Just to be perfectly clear, I was being sarcastic.  Despite being a die hard Yankee fan, I've been fortunate enough to have Mookie in my lineup for every game he has started this year.  Im appalled that people who have 1,000s of posts are either too careless or naive to take his BABIP into consideration when having the nerve to complain about his batting average. 

The infield popup % is a contributing factor to why his BABIP has been down more than normal this year. That's pretty much indisputable and Dave Cameron said the same thing in a recent Fangraphs chat, IIRC.

I guess you misunderstood the discussion or simply inferred something from that comment that wasn't intended. 

Edited by absknicks

A week and a half later, this guy (absknicks) still trying to act like his Mookie complaining was of sound reasoning... :D 

By game 140, when Mookie is nearing last year's stats: "Well if the season was only 60 games long, he would finish only as a top 25 player and not top 10! HMPH, Bust!11!!"